Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who made this Bickford $10 pattern copy?

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a copy of the "Bickford $10" Pattern J-1373.

I picked it up at FUN. It's gold, the same specifications as a regular $10 gold piece. Same size and thickness as the original. (which is thinner and larger than a normal $10)

My question is, who made this?

Anyone know?
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that they were made in the 80s and fooled quite a few people - Mr. Eureka must know the answer to this.

edited to add - They didn't always come hobby protected...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that they were made in the 80s and fooled quite a few people - Mr. Eureka must know the answer to this.

It would have been the late 70's or the early 80's. I don't know who made them but I do remember the ads running in the New York Times and probably in CW. The ads didn't run for long and I doubt many pieces were sold. I've seen about half a dozen over the years and they rarely bring more than double melt.

Interestingly, the manufacturer of these pieces seems to have had plans to market another piece in this series, a previously unknown 1868 pattern $5 in gold. When an example surfaced for the first time a few years back, it caused quite a stir.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    John Dowd, a wholesale gold importer and part-time bookie, who is deceased, came up with the idea for these. But as Andy said they got shot down quickly. I'm sure that the 1868 half-eagle came from the same source. The pattern is technically illegal to own, but as long as you are not offering to sell it as genuine, it is something that I tend to categorize an non-offensive "illegal".
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Julian and Andy.
    It's marked COPY, so I don't think it's illegal today. I find the engraving quite good. I paid 10% over melt so I'm quite happy with the purchase. It's going in my copy collection along with my Central America $50 and my other Gallery Mint / Royal Oak pieces.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    julian,

<I'm sure that the 1868 half-eagle came from the same source.>

are you referring to the 1868 aluminum half eagles i see every
    once in a while when i do a search? anaconda's website also has
    some interesting stuff on an aluminum 1868 half eagle.

if i am way off base, please feel free to explain what half eagle
    you are referring to :-)

nice coin eagleeye!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you referring to the 1868 aluminum half eagles

No. The copies are gold. No authentic gold pieces are known to exist. Authentic pieces are known in bronze and in aluminum.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file