Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice needed on a PSA 8 Harmon Killebrew RC on eBay

Hi everyone,

I have been in the market for a PSA 8 1955 Topps Harmon Killebrew RC for a while and found this one on eBay. I was wondering if I can get the experts' opinions on this PSA 8. The seller is fanatastic, so that is a non-issue for me. The card itself is what I'm looking for advice on.

Here are some of the things I've noticed:

1. There appears to be a streak above Killebrew's left shoulder. I have an e-mail into the seller as to whether this is on the card or not.
2. The top back of the card looks like it has a little stain/discoloration. Am I just seeing things?
3. How would you rate the centering on the back? Centering on the front?
4. Any comments on corners?

I've seen better 8's out there, like one earlier this week that was probably really a 9, but that went for almost $700.00

Here is the Link......Thanks!

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

The way the photo sits---Top right corner looks dinged, the yellow bled below the red along the right side, and the back looks faded. Personally i would pass and wait for a better card.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megatron, I think the streak you see is a scratch on the holder. If you look closely at the dark streak, look above it and there is a lighter streak that runs parallel to it. Probably a reflection of the scratch durring scanning. The centering looks ok to me, atleast fits the criteria for an 8. The top corner looks dinged in that scan. And I see what you mean about the staining. If I were you I think thats a little too much $ for that 8.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mega

The first thing I like doing is repositioning the card so we can look at it.

I wish the scan were a bit clearer/lighter - just a bit.

This is not that bad of a card - if you could get it under SMR - so if one could snag this for around 400+ - I woundn't mind having it.

This is one for the 55T experts.

My general take - if the card is super well centered - and a great cornered 8 - it's going at or above SMR from my experience - which means way above 500 bucks.

That's why I'm happy with nicely centered (60/40) cards that go anywhere between 15-40% less than SMR for certain sets. I have yet to pay anywhere near SMR for the star cards for my 63F BB set in the centering I was referencing.

Good luck in your hunt
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The discoloration you see on the reverse is what they call "toning"

The card overall is decent. not hi end, an average for the grade example.

the centering could be better. as for dinged corners and inking I can't tell from a scan.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i> the centering could be better. as for dinged corners and inking I can't tell from a scan.

Steve >>

This really can't be stressed enough. You cannot tell anything about the corners of a card from a scan so long as their not obviously damaged. The corners on an 8, for instance, and a 9 are indistinguishable from a simple scan. For proof positive of this look no further then the thread a few months ago where the guy has that Fleer checklist come back a 9 even though the corners looked EX-MT in the scan.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Seems to meet criteria for an 8.The back is toned caused by age and exposure,not uncommon.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Mega

This is not that bad of a card - if you could get it under SMR - so if one could snag this for around 400+ - I woundn't mind having it.

mike >>

The cheapest a PSA 8 has gone for in the last 14 months is $457.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a beautiful card to me. It would be difficult to improve much on the centering. Can't tell about the corner wear, but I would imagine it is minimal to the point that the card was graded an 8. The streak you see above the shoulder looks like it's on the holder or from the scan... that would be my guess based on how it appears.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Mega

mike >>

The cheapest a PSA 8 has gone for in the last 14 months is $457. >>

Thanx
    I didn't look or know but figured that to be true.

I agree with Josh - in the world of 55Ts - this looks like a great card and would be glad to have it.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    It must be me but I think the entire card looks "soft"...you other vintage guys know how that cardboard can get. I think the soft look is actual damage to a card and I also think the amount of toning on the back shows that...maybe from being stored in a damp area.
    I personally would pass and keep my eye out for another one whether it be on Mastro, Lelands, Naxcom, ebay, or some other good source.
    I just think there are much stronger 8's out there.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    the amount of toning on the back shows that...maybe from being stored in a damp area.

The toning on the back has nothing to do with being in a wet area.

That is pretty common with 55's. The paper they used that year tones.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    this guy has some nice items...and grader "314" graded some... LOL image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06