Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Dale Friend Liberty Nickels in March ANR Sale

Hi all --

I just wanted to let everyone know that Dale's magnificent Mint State set of Liberty nickels -- PCGS's All Time Finest and Current Finest -- will be sold coin by coin in the March ANR sale to be held in Baltimore. The set is led by a really gorgeous 1885 in MS-67 (Pop 2, none finer). Everything is 65 or finer, everything is hand-selected for eye appeal, and most show nice toning. Some of the non-PCGS duplicates are also of superb quality.

Thanks to Dale for letting us handle the set. You can read more about it here or see the listings beginning with this lot and continuing for the next few dozen coins.

Though I did not catalogue the set, it was a delight to see Dale's work all laid out in Wolfeboro.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently lot viewed the collection - what a lovely collection you built Dale.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set! image
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.
    I hope to add a few more "Friends" to my collection !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I have recently inspected the entire set of coins in hand. It is truly a quality set. I hope to be able to purchase of few of these gems at the upcoming sale.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

With the way Lincolns are right now, I am going to take a poke at a few of those nickels as well.

Jack

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man oh Man!!! That is the most beautiful sets of Lib nickels I have ever seen. I don't know how he could part with those beauties.

Great set of coins!!!!! Good luck Dale.

Jon (I have 67 taste and 63 money)
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I'm only collecting the Proofs. These Uncs. are a bit out of my price range.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

<< <i> Dale's magnificent Mint State set of Liberty nickels >>

GREAT Set Dale...Congratulations and Good Luck with the sale!!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

what is the pre sale estimate ?

stewart
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, for the kind words.

LMS- Why do you ask? I have not estimated, except through posting reserves that should be met, hopefully exceeded.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Magnificent collection. 1885 is heads and tails the king of liberty nickels. Love the strike on the 12-S. Magnificent 12-D.

Greg
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TahoeDale:

I got a friend to look at your nickels. He reported back only nice things about your key and type nickels.

I just noticed your 1883 N/C just went significantly over $5K including the juice. Looks like I need to throw out the PCGS prices sheets!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Oreville,

I hope you get a chance to see all the keys in hand. Several are really fully struck!! After 12 years of looking, it is like finding the end of the rainbow to see one up close.

The PCGS price guides are used by me, and many others for a good "relative" assessment of price, sometimes. But it is only as accurate as the the quality of the coin and the market at the time.

My feeling, for the lib nickels, is indicated by the reserves I requested. Some are under the price guides, and several are a lot more. The ones that are higher are because they are my coins? Probably.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    what are THOSE things, anyway??? image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at prices for these. The 1885 is the highest price paid for a Liberty Nickel (outside of the 1913).

(results based on the data in my database)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    The prices were nothing short of amazing. I won a couple coins from the set, but was not even close on the 1885. Although, I did suspect this might just happen on the 1885 and locked up the (2) 1885 MS67 Lib nickels in my "World Series of Pricing" portfolio the other day at least. image But, I am sure it is much more fun to actually own one of the coins than (2) coins in fantasyland! I did help your price along on the 1883 W/C MS67! Congrats Dale!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think Dale's 1883 WC MS67 will be moving up in price as I locked this one away in my "Million Dollar Portfolio"?

$30,000.....all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

Which "Friends" will coming home to you from Baltimore?

It must be nice to have a couple of coins from the #1 set of Lib nickels out there...GREAT JOB!!!
  • Options
    Can (2) people both have in their World Series account a pop1 coin?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    The ANR day/night for me.

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I only bought the 83 no cents ms67,but sure tried on about 5 others,
    congrats Dale,
    L
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Well, it's almost 2:00 am in Baltimore and I will be going to bed soon. And am very pleased with the auction results, ANR's handling of the auction, and the final prices realized.

While all the coins did not sell, about 77% did, and the big ones did very well. Congrats to all the new owners, and keep these jewels safe.

In case you didn't get a chance to bid, I will be posting next week a list of the coins still available, and some reasonable prices. But there will be some post auction trades that I will not know the results for, til the end of the week.

I totally recommend ANR as an auction company to consider using, and I really suggest those that have not attended an auction, to try and do so. It is an education. !!
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    I picked 3 of these magnificent nickels. Got beat out on the top 66s but did get some of the 65s. Were the 66s in the registry upgrades to the 65 dups in the sale?
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I only bought the 83 no cents ms67,but sure tried on about 5 others,
    congrats Dale,
    L >>

A gorgeous and solid 67 coin. Congratulations.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQPeace: Man, I only bid up to $5101 on that 1883 N/C nickel! I did not cause you to pay any more. I could not believe the amount of additional bidding after I pulled out.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    To all the new owners of the lib nickels:

The set has been deleted, so get your new coins up as soon as you have them in hand.

And have as fabulous a time as I did.
    TahoeDale