Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much were Brien Taylor RCs going for at their apex?

After seeing a picture from Lawnmowerman in another thread, I just wanted to know!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I remember when I lived on Long Island, a local guy in NY selling the Brien taylor Topps gold rookie for 40.00 back in 1992. I know dealers were going nuts over Taylor, and I think those cards fizzled the second he got in that bar fight.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    I seem to remember a Stadium Club Dome insert (??) that was going for over $125 for a while.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually the fight was in the trailer park.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually the fight was in the trailer park.

Steve

image >>

I thought only rednecks lived in trailer parks? image

Matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1992, the regular Topps issue had card #6, if memory serves, as the Taylor RC.

I definitely remember it being at 6$ Maybe even as high as 8?

That would put the regular gold way up there as was said.

The Topps gold factory sets had the auto card in it - I'm thinking the sets were sold in groups of 2?
    And the auto along may have been going for like 150$?

Even the "gold winner" cards were going for 2-5X book I think.

How far this guy fell?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How far this guy fell?

I think he fell on his pitching shoulder.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It WAS a bar fight...

While working up the minor league ranks in 1993, he suffered a torn labrum while defending his brother in a bar fight

• Options
    Brien Taylor was as succesful as Todd Van Popple and Todd Marinovich....what wastes...
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Heath Shuler
    Kijana Carter
    Rashan salom (spelling?)

They all bit

Matt
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Did VanPopple "do" anything that ruined his career? I think he just sucked from the get-go. He's more of a "flop" than a "waste."

VanPopple failed to perform = flop.
    Gregg Jefferies folded under the hype = flop.

Taylor: jacked his golden arm in a bar fight = waste
    Todd Marijuanavich = waste
    Greg "Toe" Nash: liked crime more than baseball = waste
    Josh Hamilton: can't say no to dope = waste.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I watched both Hamilton and Nash play a lot in my hometown. They both came up in the D-Rays system and they were amazing to watch. Hamilton had injuries before the drugs, but still it was drugs that really ended him. Atleast Crawford made it and Gomes had a nice partial season last year.

I remember the first Beckett Futures, I think thats what it was called then, had Nolan Ryan and Van Popel on it. Also what about Rick Assadorian (I think someone on these boards took a hug bath on his cards). I hate to mention J.R. House from WV who had the injuries, I know his Traded Chrome rookie was on one of the top lists. He was a 3rd string QB here at WVU this year, but he is going to go back to baseball and give it another shot.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    The Taylor Gold Auto was going for upwards of $150 when you could find it. The complete gold sets were selling for about $200 at one point. They still aren't worthless yet. I was looking for one the past year and have seen prices between $10 and $25. One note I remember was that since Classic held his rights for calendar year 1991, Topps couldn't make his card until 1992. When 1992 Topps came out in the last week of December, some silly dealers were selling cases of Topps as "errors" since they contained Taylor cards when they shouldn't have. Like a couple days mattered. Topps also put out that "First Picks of the 90s" set of the #1 picks 1990-92, I think they were only mail order but I remember seeing dealers with quantities. Nice cards of Jones, Nevin, and Taylor. I've thought of making a Taylor set, and have about 10 of his cards. Sooner or later I'll get a complete checklist and see where I am.

BTW, Van Poppel has had an 11-year career, somehow, so I think he's gone somewhere beyond "bust" or "flop" status, both of which, to me, denote a short career. He was just highly, highly overrated. Probably holds the record for the single most overhyped prospect in history. And since I just spent some quality time with my complete set of Beckett Rookie Rolodexes, I can say that that's a highly contentious field.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

<< <i>
    Gregg Jefferies folded under the hype = flop.

>>

Actually, Jefferies had a fairly solid major league career, with a few great years:

Career stats
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Aye, Jefferies did manage to make 2 all-star teams and lead the league in doubles once. However, if you compare him with the hype he came into the league with (that he'd be like Willie Mays), he fell far, far, far short.

He never became a "star" or a franchise player like the Mets hoped he would.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Aye, Jefferies did manage to make 2 all-star teams and lead the league in doubles once. However, if you compare him with the hype he came into the league with (that he'd be like Willie Mays), he fell far, far, far short.

He never became a "star" or a franchise player like the Mets hoped he would. >>

But to call him a flop? I believe that is an overstatement. I wish I could make 30 million dollars at my job and be considered a flop!