Home Sports Talk
Options

Miracle on Ice vs. USSR- 26 years ago today.

RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
Hard to believe it's been over a quarter of a century.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the greatest sport stories ever
  • Options
    We just got eliminated today. We suck.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    You really can't even compare that victory to todays game. There doesn't even exist that much seperation in the skills of the
    participants anymore. Sure there are upsets and surprises, but never like this. I was 7 when this happened, I remember
    watching with my dad who played hockey. I didn't know much about the sport but it was amazing. Seems like yesterday

Kevin
  • Options
    JS is right about that one, I was 7 as well. It truly was a miracle considering it was a bunch of college kids against basically the same team that would go on to win the Canada Cup the following year (they beat Canada who's top line was Gretzky/Lafleur/Perreault--all in the HOF by the way). If those Russian players were allowed in the NHL back then they most likely would have ALL been in the NHL while the majority of the American team ended up being journey-men NHLers (those who even made the NHL). Now all the teams are very even, as I had to see my team (Canada), eat crow today with their third 2-0 loss. I could not even guess who will win now with the 4 teams left being virtually equal (Finland just works so damn hard)!
    Jay