Home U.S. Coin Forum

Decent PCGS 1901-S Barber for sale

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
A decent, original 01-S which would look good in my safe deposit box.......only 19K!

http://www.hedwardscoins.com/

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they ANY letters of Liberty showing on that coin? I can't tell.

Seems rather choice otherwise.
  • For that money I would expect a high end EF or low end AU.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. That guy has a lot of 1893-S Morgans for sale.

That 1901-S doesn't really appeal to me, and I'm not sure why. I'm not knocking it, it's completely subjective on my part.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they ANY letters of Liberty showing on that coin?

Man, I sure hope so.....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • I think the 01-S looks pretty nice.......certainly original. If you're looking for a certified 01-S in Fine, there's not a heck of a lot out there to choose from. It's a little to rich for my blood......I'll have to be happy with my little ol VG-8.

• << <i>Are they ANY letters of Liberty showing on that coin? I can't tell.

Seems rather choice otherwise. >>

A good example of a key date coin being graded higher than it should be just because it is
    a key date.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just think of all the Moderns i could buy for $19K. amazing, simply amazing.......................

• << <i>A good example of a key date coin being graded higher than it should be just because it is
    a key date. >>

I know PCGS makes some allowances for the 01-S in VG-8, ie, doesn't require a full rim on the reverse. I hope they aren't making allowances with regards to ALL the letters of Liberty showing (even if ever so slightly), for a F-12 grade.
    The keys dates are given much more leniency when it comes to light cleaning. PCGS will slab problem pieces when it comes to monster date/grade combos. They’ll sort of "look the other way".

But this one looks original. I have to believe these are just lousy images.

Hey, maybe Jim sold his MONSTER F12? Jim, you out there?

Dave

Jim's F12:

imageimage
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The one coin I will likely never have in my Barber Quarter set I am working on.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • I never get tired of looking at Jim's 01-S..........real sweet!
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    From the first 01s images, the reverse looks compatible w/ F12, but hard to tell by the obverse (not bad, not impressive, maybe wiped remotely?).

Re: "Jim's 1901s F12"

Now THAT is what midgrade Barbers should look like! ! Looks 15, pushing 18 to me, but maybe I'm 'new-school' and blind-sided by the toning... Thank you for posting that one Dave.

Don

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one coin I will likely never have in my Barber Quarter set I am working on..... >>

I feel that way about the 1909 O and 1929 $5 Gold Half Eagles..... but I still like a challenge image.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome coin. Those things just keep going up in value. Nothing like true rarity when it comes to value. They figure less than 2000 remain from the original 72,000 mintage.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I didnt catch this thread till just now as I have been busy. The coin does look original, but the obverse is a borderline f-12, looks more like a vg-10+. There are so few around decent, that you can't be too choosey. Although the asking price is quite strong !!! Many of the better dates like the 01-s you literally have to buy the next grade level up to get the grade you want. The piece I had prior to my curent 01-s was in a PCGS-10 holder but was actually only a solid 8 at best and it was even in a PCGS green.

By the way, yes, I have sold off quite a bit of my holdings, but not the 01-s quarter. Still have it for that one reason alone as its nearly impossible to replace. Also, I believe my coin would no question holder at F-15.

Dave,

thanks for posting mine for me again!

jim
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just think of all the Moderns i could buy for $19K. amazing, simply amazing....................... >>

Yes, about 19,000.00 worth!

I like the look of that barber but also wondered how many letters are actually there.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that one is a F12, I think Dimmick has a VF.

Although, the way we graded 'em when I was a kid, Dimmick's coin is a VG since all 7 letters of LIBERTY are not full.

I guess this is OK for the services as long as the average grade goes UP - if grades start going down, then they are in big trouble on the guarantee side.

All that said, I'd much rather have Dimmick's coin than an ugly XF. That is way choice.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A tough date... but the price has caught up with the rarity and then some... just the usual commentary from the cheap seats.

AFTR, as much as I may not appreciate moderns, there are several classic rarities outside the US borders that make more sense than this coin at 19K.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Jim -

I’m glad to hear this is not yours. Oh....and thanks for not suing me each time I use your 01-S images.

It’s just that I’m so amazed by your example, I tend to use it whenever possible. A mind-blowing “level of difficulty” coin.

Dave
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Its hard to tell what the 1st 01-S looks like without it being in hand. From what I can see of it, it looks about 3 points less than Jim's 01-S ( which I have held in hand last year at the Ft Lauderdale FUN convention.)

Jim's coin should be graded F 15 if the first one's a F 12.

Its refreshing to see this date in anything above AG 3. Who knows when I'll find one available that will fit into my set.

As far as the asking price is concerned, next year everyone will think the $19K is a bargain.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

• << <i>I know PCGS makes some allowances for the 01-S in VG-8, ie, doesn't require a full rim on the reverse. >>

Full rim isn't needed on a VG-8*!!!

I know that they have been getting more and more lax on key dates but this is geting rediculous. Back when I first learned to grade one of the DEFINING features of a coin in Good was that it had to have full rims, front and back. If the rim had worn into even the top of the letters it was no better than AG.

Today almost all of the slabbed G-4 1916 D dimes I see have no rims on the reverse at all, and many have just partial or no rims on the obverse. These are coins that, before slabbing came to save us, would have been called Fr-2. (I don't normally look at coins in slabs, but there are SO MANY fake 1916-D dimes out there that if I was going to buy that last piece for my set even I would look for a certified coin.) But now you are telling me that the firms out there that are supposed to be protecting us from unscrupulous over grading dealers will call akey date coins VG-8 with only partial rims on the reverse? Man! if the major grading firms are calling these AG coins VG-8, I wonder what the overgraders would call them.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't that long ago you could have bought the 1901-S quarter in 65 for 25K. That would have been a good investment. Same for the 1916 and 1796 quarters and the 16-D dime.

Hindsight is always better than foresight.image

Jon

PS: Both of those 01-S's are nice!!!!!!! I don't think PCGS pushes grades on hight $ coins. I think it is just the opposite because of the grade guarentee.

That second 01-S has VF detail on the obv. The bottom of the band is almost full. The rev is a little weak for VF, but that is a very nice coin!!!!!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>just think of all the Moderns i could buy for $19K. amazing, simply amazing....................... >>

interesting. >>

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add me to the image crowd image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so I don't really collect this series. I have a type set, so I can appreciate the barber coinage.

I don't usually know the good dates of a series I do not collect.

But, somehow, I don't think I am ever going to forget:

1901-S quarter.

It's been beaten into my skull. owche.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I don,t collect any coins that are

worth more then the second mortgage

on my house.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While this is funny and ironic, Keets is as honest as they come. I have no doubt whatsoever that Keets forgot about the significance of this date.
    image...sure he did.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $19k.

That's why the Barber quarters, as a series, are unlikely to gain much more of a following than they currently have.

The keys are just too expensive.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>For that money I would expect a high end EF or low end AU.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis >>

Probably not - Laibstain has an XF-45 and wants $35,000.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

<< <i>

<< <i>For that money I would expect a high end EF or low end AU.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis >>

Probably not - Laibstain has an XF-45 and wants $35,000. >>

Exactly - and an AU 55 sold for $42,500 last Spring. image...I should know.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file