Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Australian collector - long questions!

G'day from Australia everyone!
I have been lurking on these boards for a while now as I have just re-kindled my interest with sports memorabilia and cards.
Living in Australia, I find it very hard to get hold of cards, it took off for a while between 1993-1996 but with the baseball strike, an increase in pack price, and the increasing interest of local sports, trading card are now almost non-existant.

However, I have managed to obtain a large amount of baseball and basketball cards. Most of them are just crappy commons pre 98. At one stage I was collecting Bonds (only about 200) and David Robinson (about 150) and have just started collecting Jordan cards, mainly for investment, but primarily because of his legend status.

My main interest is Australian born MLB players, such as Dave Nilsson, Chris Oxspring, Trent Durrington, Graeme Lloyd, Justin Hubner, Trent Oeltjen ect.

I came out of the woodwork to ask a few questions:

1. How much should i be expecting for shipping charges for cards to Australia (area code 4116)?
2. Is paypal the only real way to buy cards from the US? I have a paypal account but am reluctant to use it.
3. What would be the best way of obtaining a checklist for the above players? Would the Beckett OPG cover these (relatively) common cards?
4. What do I need to look out for when buying off ebay? From what I read there are a lot of fake vintage cards, should i need to worry about fake modern issues? Should I worry about buying non-graded cards?
5. Is there somewhere else other than the Beckett site to obtain information about up comming sets, box breaks ect - it doesn't seem to be updated very often and is very laggy and slow? Also, are the CU and Beckett forums the best for discussion/trading?
6. Can anyone recommend a online store that may be better then buying off ebay?
7. My sister will be in the states (NY) soon, can you buy SMR on the newsagents shelves or is it by mail order only?
(edit)
8. Finally, a TTM question. How would it work sending a SSAE from Australia? Would Australian postage work when it was being sent back? If you know what I mean...???
(edit)

thanks for your time and help,
If anyone has any question son Australian sport i'll be happy to answer image
regards,
Mark Klatt
(Brisbane, QLD)

Comments

• Options
    Klattsy, first off welcome to the boards and good questions. I had to respond as I served with some great Australian soliders in Iraq last year and in 04. I can answer the last question pretty quickly. SMR can be gotten through membership to psa or i believe you can order a subscription. If you would like some older issues (month or so old, not too outdated) then I will gladly send you some to help you out along the way. The issues are great and sometimes i just enjoy "lusting" over the pic's of the really high grade Vintage...ha..ha.

Anyway let me know what you need an I will try to look up some of the other questions that you have so I can give you a truthful answer...........Best of luck......Rob
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options

1. Could be quite a bit due to customs.
    2. Probably the safest way considering where you're buying from.
    3. Team Sets 4 U or the Beckett OPG. Or you could get a Beckett Alphabetical checklist (paperback).
    4. Buyer beware. Low or zero feedback sellers with high priced cards and no history of selling cards. Opening lines like "Found in my grandfather's attack...", "Inherited from a deceased relative...", "Been in my family for years, I don't no how much it's worth..." or "I don't know much about cards but I think this T206 Wagner, 1952 Topps Mantle, could be valuable...", etc. Watch for fake high dollar cards (1986 Fleer Jordan, 1952 Topps Mantle, T206 Wagner, etc.). Most other modern cards are not counterfeited.
    5. CU forums are the best! image
    6. Define better.
    7. I don't think it is available on the "newsagents shelves" anymore. It is free with the PSA Membership.

Whew!

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Mark,

G'day!

I've had some shipments (from down under!) a few years back. I was buying some old Australian tobbaco/cigarette cards. I do not remember exactly what I paid for shipping, but I know it was reasonable. I'm confident it would be reasonable to ship from the "States to you" also!

My suggestion would be to ask the Seller you want to do business with. Get a price, and after you add those shipping costs to your maximum bid, ask yourself, "is this a reasonable gross price for my items won"?

Good luck to ya!

rbd

edit: I do not recall any customs issues or extra costs buying those Aussie tobbaco cards!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mark

Welcome mate!!!

I think hanging around here will resolve most of your questions over time.

The postage stuff...I'm clueless.

Get to know some of the board members here with whom you can trust - look in the trade/sell forum over the months and I think you will get some good deals and work with people you can trust.

Ebay? Just hang around - ebay is the major topic of discussion. If there is something you want bad and am not sure - come on board and link the auction - you will get every point of view under the planet.

BTW, have been to Sydney - unbelievably great city - went to Manley - ate fish'n'chips - was there at Christmas time which was like summer! The people were extremely friendly and the clubs were great!

If I can ever be of any help, please PM me.

So don't be a stranger and Good Luck!
    Your friend
    Mike

Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    do you know the crocodile hunter?

does he live near you?

i'd like an autograph..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Thanks to all who answered my questions!
    Specifically, can anyone give any guidance on TTM for OS people? How the return postage would work ect?
    Also would the Beckett OPG list the lesser known players I am chasing and minor league players? All the info I have read says "popular" and "certain" players are listed.

Rob - thanks for the deal but i'm gonna have to decline. Tried to email you but am being blocked?

fsjeter - thanks for the answers, re question 6 i answered myself yesterday. The ebay shops!

rbdjr1 - Haven't seen many australian tobacco cards floating around, if you're still looking try Legends Genuine Memorabilia they are the best memorabilia company in Australia and frequently have online auctions for older stuff. Also there is a seller on Australian Ebay called "aussiemate!" he often has old cards and pictures as well as signed Australian memorabilia

calleocho - that list is a bit oudated, but still very good! thanks for pointing me to that resource!

Mike - Christmas is our summer! Manly is great yes, fantastic beaches in Sydney. Better ones in Queensland!

pandrews - the crocodile hunter has his zoo (The Australian Zoo) about 50km (? miles) north of me. Its near the Big Pinapple actually. Only been there once and I doubt he is there very often anymore. He'd spend more time in your country than ours!

thanks again all!
    Mark.

• Options
    <<fsjeter - thanks for the answers, re question 6 i answered myself yesterday. The ebay shops!>>

The only reason I said "define better" is because there are other online sources that may have better prices for unopened material or graded singles depending on what you are looking for. Also, "better" could have meant "better" selection, "better" price, etc. No worries though! Good luck in your endeavors. Always happy to help! image

Scott

Edited to add: I've sold and shipped to Australia but I've never purchased anything from Australia. I have purchased and received items from Korea, England, and Canada.
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets