Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

LINCOLN CENT REGISTRIES-MORE OR LESS?

We now have 18 PCGS Set Registries for Lincoln cents, 7 for business strikes, 10 for proofs and 1 combined. We have a current thread asking for a red/brown and all brown registry also. Do we REALLY need this many different registries if, in fact, ALL the coins could fit inside of the 339 coin complete collection registry?

I think the reason PCGS has so many registries for Lincoln cents is that most collectors strive for completion and the thought of slabbing hundreds of Lincoln's in order to have a complete set is not realistic for many. Complicating all this is the competitive nature of the set registries where some of the participants are striving to be #1. When you get down to it, we each have our own ideas about how the set registry should be structured.

So, I thought it would be nice to hear what everyone thinks about the continuing increase of individual registries in ANY OF THE DENOMINATIONS AND SERIES. Is it good or is it bad? Does it enhance the registries or does it delute from being the best of the best?

To start off, here are MY thoughts on the Lincoln cent registries.
I think we should have a business strike and proof registry for the wheat cents, a business strike and proof registry for the memorial cents, a complete business strike registry, a complete proof strike registry and a complete combined set registry. That is a total of 7 Lincoln set registries. I think the major varieties SHOULD be included in these registries, but possibly be modified somewhat so that certain VERY rare varieties that are NOT widely collected are not required.

What do YOU think?

Steveimage

Comments

• It does get a bit overwhelming with all of the sets and variations. I don't like the mix of PR and circulation strikes though, I usually think of them as seperate beast, but the rest of your sets I like. Some varieties I do agree are very rare (i.e. 1969 S DD) and may need a seperate registry. How about double die variety set only.......

My only thoughts along the line of Red, Red/brown and Brown copper is , it is like toned or white silvers. Is it more collector specific (i.e. I like reds, I like toned browns with purple color? etc.) Just imagine doubling every series for toned or white coins. I know PCGS only identifies the coppers this way but the should they start labeling morgans et al as toned and white? I think the color issue is different from the FB/FS/FH issue since I usually look at those attributes as a strike issue.

Personally I will collect the best coins I can from 1793 to date and see where I end up. I like BN and RB coppers from 1793 to 1856 and red from that point forward.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve

I think there should be a Special Registry Set for the Proof 1909 VDB and the 1990 No s and it should be called

Steve's ideal Registry Set

Stewart
  • I don't see any harm in having a all RD or RB registry set, but with all the other sets already there, it doesn't seem to make much sense.
    It is a interesting thought to ponder.
    I am not trying to compete with the big guns on getting a #1 set. I am thrilled just to complete one. I did get a Memorial collection completed with something like 95% of the coins being all sent in to be slabbed by me, and I have started to work my way into a Wheaties collection now too. I found it a great exercise in seeing how my grading abilities compared to PCGS too. But it is very doubtful I'll ever be able to compete with the big guns. But I still have fun doing it. But then I am doing it for the fun part, not to try to make money off of it, or be #1 or something.
    It is sort of like, I think some people get way way too serious and suck all the fun out of the room when they show up.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree there are too many registries. However I do not think varieties should be included. Afterall they are just errors. If you wish to include a 1990 no S into the 1990-s slot then by all means go for it.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve

I think there should be a Special Registry Set for the Proof 1909 VDB and the 1990 No s and it should be called

Steve's ideal Registry Set

Stewart >>

I'd LOVE that too, Stewart. And you know what, I'd bet there wouldn't be 25 people who would be able to complete that 2 coin registry.
    Steveimage
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know when I go to upgrade a coin now, it takes a long time! There are a lot of sets. However, there are no rules to collecting, so the varied sets do meet many individual needs. I started only with the wheat series, then decided, “What the heck” and did the memorials, now the proofs, and all along I said no Mattes, now I have three..go figure. I think that PCGS has been responding to request. And as long as we the collectors keep asking for more, there will be additional sets.

If you are bothered by the number of sets, just take a poll on how everyone would like to rearrange the sets by adding or deleting coins, or putting them in a certain order, etc. Now that would drive us all nuts. Just enjoy collecting what you want, and don’t let the other sets bother you.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Just enjoy collecting what you want, and don’t let the other sets bother you.

WS >>

Right on Bob! image

RegistryNut image
  • I like them ALL with the exception of the "Date Set". I think that one is lame. image

Now, when will we get to complain that there are "too many" Roosevelt Dime (w/Varieties Proof 1950-Date!!! imageimage ) registry sets image
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the number of sets. Lincoln cents have the most diversity of any series, and many different ways in which to collect.
    Doug
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    the more the merrier!

one must remember many collectors are kids! (and were kids many moons ago).

for a large percentage of us the Lincolns were the first series that we collected.

some of the people grew out of Lincolns and branched out into other coinage...(tho i can't imagine why!)image

the more variety of registries we have just opens up the sense of belonging in the scheme of things to the younger numismatics.

believe me , a 10 year old is just as proud of a 1919 cent in 62 brown....as Mr. Blay is of his 1919 in 69 red!...(and the kid will look at his more often too i'll bet!image

i know i did when i was 10image

too often as we grow older we tend to forget the excitment of an upgrade or getting a new hole filler that previously was thought
    unimaginable for our means.

the light in a kids face is worth it all.

i've seen this.

• The fact is a lot of dedicated collectors can not hope to afford a RD set in in most categories. A RB or B Registry would only encorage collectors of equal dedication as LMS, but lesser means or greater family $ obligations, to enjoy the hobby.image
    morgannut2