Home U.S. Coin Forum

how big a joke is star grading service (SGS)?

I know they are what is considered 4th tier, but are they, on average, 3, 4 ,5 or more grades above what PCGS would grade on the same coin? Probably a hard question to answer, but I am curious as I have no experience with crossovers from SGS to PCGS.

My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Forget them
  • I think they are a pretty big joke. I just ignore the label.
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    RUN!:image
  • consider the coin to be preserved in plastic until you get it home - then put it in a vice and CRACK IT, that plastic is only good for shipping- the 'grade' they give is worthless than what you think.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be terrible to write, but I would worry that the coin were a problem coin and that is the reason it is in an SGS holder. I know that isn't fair, but that is my opinion.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    dang, plus this seller (international382) has interesting feedback - I am curious as to all the "positive" negative feedbacks.

Anyone want to chance this? It is a high dollar coin. Maybe it has been dipped or cleaned or something. I'm not taking a chance!

link to SGS graded rare morgan
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I agree with TomB- I would much rather look at raw coins than coins sent to sgs........
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no easy way to answer your question. As some others have said the grade thay put on the label is of no use. I've seen some Morgans that were as close as a grade or two and some that were graded unc and the coin was an AU slider. I would'nt touch any copper in these slabs as most are sure to be cleaned and retoined or worse.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad for many people who buy those slabbed coins on ebay.

Any company that finds that much perfection in coins has got to think hairlines are braille for their graders.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that ugly plastic is getting in the way of getting a decent picture of that dipped/cleaned way to bright Morgan.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>dang, plus this seller (international382) has interesting feedback - I am curious as to all the "positive" negative feedbacks.

Anyone want to chance this? It is a high dollar coin. Maybe it has been dipped or cleaned or something. I'm not taking a chance!

link to SGS graded rare morgan >>

I sure wouldn't. SGS = UGH!

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I thought they were an authentification/slabbing service
    and their name was SGS MS70

do they actually grade coins?
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Well, ACG is higher up in the rankings than SGS, does that answer your question?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's a misnomer to even call SGS a "grading" service. They are really nothing more than a fancy coin holder.

Russ, NCNE
  • Nice auction!

The seller says the MS 66 Morgan is listed at $17,500. He is listing it at $250. Then he says, get this, it might be worth crossing to PCGS!!!! What a laugh. If it would cross at 66 and he could make $500, not to mention 17 grand, he would do it in a second.

This kind of thing turns many people away from coin collecting every day!
  • bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    I've never bought a coin in an SGS holder, and at this time still would not.
    image Steam Power
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never bought a coin in an SGS holder, and at this time still would not. >>

Oh come on! Not just one cheapee little coin! If you don't like the coin, you can always leave appropriate feedback! image

The seller also states there are no returns on slabbed coins! Anyone who bids and wins, owns the coin forever before they even have a chance to look at it! They're collecting eggs, is what it amounts to! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Oh come on! Not just one cheapee little coin! If you don't like the coin, you can always leave appropriate feedback!

If you buy a coin in an SGS holder, you let the terrorists win image
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a spurt-milk-out-of-your-nose kind of joke. HSN doesn't even carry them!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

• << <i>consider the coin to be preserved in plastic until you get it home - then put it in a vice and CRACK IT, >>

Why use a vice? the only thing holding the slab closed are the stick on labels on the ends of the slab.
  • At a coin show last year, I looked at a dealler's wallboard display with a bunch of dollars.
    Looking close they were all nice and shiny, but I don't think one was above a AU grade if that, maybe XF at best.
    Nothing worth looking at at all. You would need to break them out, and put them someplace to age for thirty years before you could get them resubmitted and slabbed if even then.
  • I have a SGS 1960 Large Date in MS70.
    I should sell it on that Police Auction site for $17,500.image

• << <i>Well, ACG is higher up in the rankings than SGS, does that answer your question? >>

image I actually have an ACG slabbed coin. OK OK.....I've got two all right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file