Home Sports Talk
Options

Curt Gowdy passes

Again slightly before my time (been saying that a lot latelyimage)...but in what I remember, he seemed to one of the best at calling the game w/o letting his personal opinions get in the way.....
"Going to bed with a woman never hurt a ballplayer.It's staying up all night looking for them that does you in." - Casey Stengel

Comments

• Options
    When I was growing up (late 60s- 70s), he was on everything that NBC had to offer. Baseball Game of the Week, Monday Night Baseball, NFL, AFL, College Basketball, Golf...you name it he was broadcasting it. I only learned later about his affiliation with the Red Sox.

I always liked him as he was very familiar.

We used to have this thing called the Curt Gowdy jinx. He would be broadcasting and would say something like....Jones has made 15 free throws in a row!!!! Then the guy would shoot an airball. So it was always used in pickup games to "jinx" the other team.

Although he was not my favorite, he was a part of my childhood. Another sign Im getting older.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    two of my favorites curt gowdy and chris schenkel both gone within the last seven months. i loved listening to "The Cowboy". I remember his broadcast of Ted Williams last at bat when he homered. All those world series. A true, true legend.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Most of his career was before my time as well, but you can't deny his place in broadcast sports history. Sad to hear about his passing.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He good... MLB game of the week. He did several Rosebowl games... including the 1969 Ohio State-USC game in which O J Simpson ran for a 75-80 TD in the first quarter... he must have been 85 or older.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
  • Options
    Too bad....I was honored to have listened to his broadcasts. Next best is Dick Enberg....hope he stays with us a while.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    How can anyone (who is old enough) ever forget Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek and the game of the week? All Star games? World Series? It was all there was besides Yankee games with Messer, Coleman and Rizzuto, Mets games with Murphy, Kiner and Lidsey Nelson, and Phillie games with By Saam, Campbell, and Whitey Ashburn. (It was great being raised in an area with a UHF and VHF rotating antenna that you could just turn the knob on the box in the house and catch both Philly and NY games) That was back in the day that the slow motion instant replay (that they only showed once) usually was worse than watching the original play and usually ended halfway into the next pitch! I miss the days when one play would be talked about for days on end, rather than seen twenty times from 5 different angles during the next abat, 4 more times during the inning, 3 times during the post game wrap up, and 27 times everyhour on Sports Center for the next 12 hours.....