Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Membership?

I am just wondering why you have to pay $99 or $179 just to submit cards. I am willing to just pay the money to submit but I can't really afford to get the membership and submit cards.
Steve

I am looking to build my already growing Collection of the "GREATEST PITCHER IN MLB HISTORY" Nolan Ryan, DUH!!!

I have just started to collect Autographed memorabilia that I have gotten in person.

ebay id: Scuba_steve19
Texas5pt0@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    They instituted the rule about membership a few years ago. I'm just glad Exxon hasn't picked up on it and starts charging a membership to pay $3. a gallon.
    As much as it bites you do get 6 free grades with the 1 year membership and the Smithsonian book. That alone pays for itself, but the occasional SMR (about a third of the issues I"m supposed to get actually make it to me) is a small bonus. If you use it, the pop report is extremely useful, and that is part of membership as well.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    that is the problem all I want to do is submit a couple of cards for my Nolan Ryan Collesction but I don't really want to waste the $100.
    Steve

I am looking to build my already growing Collection of the "GREATEST PITCHER IN MLB HISTORY" Nolan Ryan, DUH!!!

I have just started to collect Autographed memorabilia that I have gotten in person.

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ryan
    you can submit cards through an authorized PSA dealer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Before I decided to join the Club last year, I contacted two "authorized PSA dealers" and asked them about submitting cards for me. They both declined and said it was better if I do it myself. So, I don't know how it helps anyone to be an "authorized PSA dealer"??

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    I do not know why any business would turn any customer away simply because they are not a member. If it was me I would allow anyone to submit to PSA, but only member's could be eligible for specials for example. In any case, there is a compromise that could be worked out, where anyone could submit, yet members would get better bargains and feel justified that their membership is a good deal.

Here's an individual who only wants to submit a couple of cards...whether it's only 50 dollars or 100 dollars, why force that customer to go elsewhere. His money is just as green as anyone else's around here.

Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    Ryan

Sometime ago a guy came here and told us about a program in which a persson could submit a card through a ebay and psa. I am not sure if that is still active but it is another way one can submit.
    maybe if you contact someone at PSA they can help you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not know why any business would turn any customer away simply because they are not a member. If it was me I would allow anyone to submit to PSA, but only member's could be eligible for specials for example. In any case, there is a compromise that could be worked out, where anyone could submit, yet members would get better bargains and feel justified that their membership is a good deal.

Here's an individual who only wants to submit a couple of cards...whether it's only 50 dollars or 100 dollars, why force that customer to go elsewhere. His money is just as green as anyone else's around here. >>

I totally agree with this post. I don't see why PSA can't be like Beckett. I feel that PSA is better than Beckett; IMO. Do you think that if enough people complain that they (PSA) will have some kind deal like Beckett. I know that being a member would probably have it's benefits but for us poor folks that can't see shelling out $100 per year just so that I can submit a few cards to get graded by the best in the business. If anyone feels the same way then we need to unite and get something done with this matter.
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options

Ryan if you are looking to build the Nolan Ryan set in Psa graded form I can't see how not becoming a member is a bad thing. I am a member and I not once submitted a card beyond the freebies. the freebies pay for themselves. I'm beginning to think that you have an ulterior motive here as you not once replied to my advice in the previous posts. PSA wants submitters to be members, no amount of petition signing will change that.

Look into the ebay/psa thing or some authorized dealers. Just because one poster here claims to have had a problem submitting through 2 of them does not mean you will encounter a problem.

A 3rd way is to find someone here that is willing to allow you to piggyback on one of their submissions.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I still have the downloaded Ebay/PSA submission form on my putor..........I downloaded it from EBAY about a year ago........I have never used it............and cannot find it anywhere now on EBAY but it still might be there.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>I am looking to build my already growing Collection of the "GREATEST PITCHER IN MLB HISTORY" Nolan Ryan, DUH!!!

Ryan if you are looking to build the Nolan Ryan set in Psa graded form I can't see how not becoming a member is a bad thing. I am a member and I not once submitted a card beyond the freebies. the freebies pay for themselves. I'm beginning to think that you have an ulterior motive here as you not once replied to my advice in the previous posts. PSA wants submitters to be members, no amount of petition signing will change that.

Look into the ebay/psa thing or some authorized dealers. Just because one poster here claims to have had a problem submitting through 2 of them does not mean you will encounter a problem.

A 3rd way is to find someone here that is willing to allow you to piggyback on one of their submissions.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Steve >>

It is not that i have an alterior motive to this it is just the fact that I don't have the money push into a membership and submit cards also. I know that it is probably worth it but also I can't just afford to shell out big money on already graded one either. I already have about 500 or so Nolan Ryan cards but they are all raw.
    I am also sorry that I haven't replied to your posts but I don't have a lot of free time between the military and my home life. I am also sorry if that offended you in anyway but I am also getting back into the hobby and getting more information on the whole grading aspect. I have read a few of the other posts and I have gained a whole lot of information that I didn't already know about. Thanks again and sorry,
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    PSA is a business. They have financial goals that they will try and meet through whatever means they think is best.

That said-

If PSA were to drop its membership fee, submission prices might rise. Or discounts and specials might fall, etc. But the free-market person in me says this: If PSA currently brings in tens of thousands of dollars per year in membership fees, if they dropped the membership, they would be looking to make those monies up elsewhere.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    yeah i understand that but i think that they might consider being able to submit cards at a slightly higher price for non-members. I am just bringing this up because I am in the military and I don't have a lot of money to spend jut because of the fact that I am supporting a family and trying to go to school. I am just getting back into the hobby and would love to be able to have a beautiful collection without paying an arm and a leg to acheive it.
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Ryanfan

i am a lil confused. You can have a beautiful collection w/o grading them or buying already graded examples. Not sure but I think this is what you have been saying:

you have only a couple of cards that you want graded?

if so then the psa authorized dealer is the way to go for you.

Link to Psa authorized dealers

perhaps you can find a dealer near you from those listed here

Again, Good luck

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    <<if so then the psa authorized dealer is the way to go for you.>>

Not sure why it has to be a PSA Authorized Dealer. Any dealer/hobby shop owner, or individual for that matter, with a PSA membership can submit it for him. The problem is, they'll more than likely charge him more per card than it would cost to submit it on his own. Steve, I don't know how many of those 500 raw Ryans you are contemplating on submitting but if it's more than 20, the membership is probably your best bet IMO. The last time I had a dealer submit cards on my behalf they charged me $20/card. Most of the specials now are around $5 to $10 per card which is a heck of alot cheaper. Just my $0.02. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options

<< <i><<if so then the psa authorized dealer is the way to go for you.>>

Not sure why it has to be a PSA Authorized Dealer. Any dealer/hobby shop owner, or individual for that matter, with a PSA membership can submit it for him. The problem is, they'll more than likely charge him more per card than it would cost to submit it on his own. Steve, I don't know how many of those 500 raw Ryans you are contemplating on submitting but if it's more than 20, the membership is probably your best bet IMO. The last time I had a dealer submit cards on my behalf they charged me $20/card. Most of the specials now are around $5 to $10 per card which is a heck of alot cheaper. Just my $0.02. image

Scott >>

Thank you for the post and I think that I am just going to have to wait until I get the extra $100 that is just laying around. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression about me. I am just trying to find out all of my options before I shell out too much money. But seriously thank you for the input.
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    <<If anyone feels the same way then we need to unite and get something done with this matter.>>

Whoa! there Norma Rae! image There's really not that much that can be done. Unless yuou can get the DSL's and the 4Sharp's behind you, you're probably waistin your time. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options

<< <i><<If anyone feels the same way then we need to unite and get something done with this matter.>>

Whoa! there Norma Rae! image There's really not that much that can be done. Unless yuou can get the DSL's and the 4Sharp's behind you, you're probably waistin your time. image

Scott >>

Yeah i think that I am just going to get a membership (when I can afford it mind you). I am not trying to p!$$ anyone off but I just put this post out there to find all of my options
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I feel that 10 bucks to authenticate and grade my card its not a bad deal at all.

Not too mention the holder which its nice.

The problem its cards which cost .50 cents ...maybe those cards should not be graded?

Not every card should be graded...

I believe that PSA should raise fees and improve service.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that PSA should raise fees and improve service. >>

That's great for people who collect expensive cards, but not everybody does. Service can be bought already from them at the higher levels. I like it the way it is.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that PSA should raise fees and improve service. >>

That's great for people who collect expensive cards, but not everybody does. Service can be bought already from them at the higher levels. I like it the way it is. >>

I agree. the only thing that started this thread was that I thought that PSA should also have the non-member rates as well as the regular member rates.
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Not sure why it has to be a PSA Authorized Dealer. Any dealer/hobby shop owner, or individual for that matter, with a PSA membership can submit it for him.

I agree and in one of my posts to him I advised him of the various options available. One of which was exactly what you state.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I really appreciate all the help adn information that you have given me. I think that i have come to the conclusion that i will just get a membership when i get the money.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve

Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    With the specials grading could get as cheap as 5 bucks per card.

I think grading has actually gotten cheaper in the last 10 years, the problem most people have its getting their money back if they decide to sell.

When modern commons in high grade sell for 3 bucks each then probably the card itself wasnt worth it to begin.

I dont want a cheap grading company , i want a good one.

The only value that its added by having a modern common graded by PSA its the plastic holder....about 50 cents to a dollar.

You might as well collect raw.

Higher prices might increase the quality of the service by thinning the herd.

Why have the Walmart mentality...not everything should be cheap.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

This may sound harsh,
    but back in the day when I owned a business, it didn't pay to deal with the litlle guys.

They're the ones that don't fill out the forms right, don't package their cards right,
    don't label their cards right, don't mail their cards right, and want to complain to customer service every day.

And the argument that the little submitter now will be a big submitter later is total BS.
    Beckett and SGC offer affordable alternatives if you choose not to go with the # 1 grading company ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Calleocho you make some good points but i see 1 major issue with it.
    When the little guy is forced out of grading the avg card the power house guys such as dsl ,4corners ect who have bulk deals still in place just reap all the benifits as the compitistion will go away increasing there profits
    Who knows maybe that`s the idea ?

I tend to agree you dont need to raise prices to insure a quality product and agree there are alternatives
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>compitistion will go away increasing there profits
    Who knows maybe that`s the idea ? >>

Translation into English please ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    compitistion will go away increasing there profits
    Who knows maybe that`s the idea ? >>

Translation into English please ...

Translation = 6 beers