Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling Raw Sets - Should I have the star cards graded first?

I picked up a nice EXMT-NRMT 1975 Topps Baseball Mini Set this weekend at a show. I am planning to sell it on ebay later this year. While flipping through the set, I found five star cards that are grading worthy (PSA 7 or higher) - Yount, Reggie Jackson, Tom Seaver, Gary Carter, and Hank Aaron #660. The Seaver, Reggie, and Hank are actually PSA 8 quality.

Considering I want to sell the set, am I better off keeping the entire set raw and featuring scans of the key cards or should I have the best cards graded as part of the set?
Mike

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    It certainly can't hurt..................I sold an ex-nr 72 raw set recently with some graded stars ( PSA 7s) and I think it helped the closing price.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I would get the stars graded, sell them, and replace them with cards that are more in line with the quality of the rest of the set.
  • Options
    I think it is a toss up, A lot of the time people are looking at raw sets as "finds" meaning that they think a lot of the cards in the set would grade pretty high or at least higher than what the seller may have listed it for. Other times people are looking for an honest grade on sets and the PSA cards included with the set confirm thier suspicions about the grade of the entire set. Unfortunately, you will have some sellers who will put a few graded cards with a set to make the buyer think the whole set is in as good a condition as the ones graded. I think if you put up some large, nice scans of the better star cards and let folks draw thier own conclusions as to what they will grade you could be better off selling the entire set. Of course put your own grade on the entire set also. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do !image

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    I would grade the stars, and if the commons are in the same condition you can state in the auction that the commons are in similar condition as the graded cards. When I see a set that has a few stars graded and a few stars raw, I know the raw stars were not worth grading and bid accordingly.
  • Options
  • Options
    Now I Got it.I have had minis like this right out of the pack come back as unholdered because of being miscut,the backs were off center however no part of another card was showing.This I believe is known as diamond cut.