Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Nuts...Does it make sense to buy Roosies ?

With color and not Full Bands ? Raw also ?

Man I have lost it I think....image

Ken

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

I know what you mean. I hate spending money on Roosey's, but I need them for my complete sets. I won't buy high grade or pay extra for color or bands and definitly (sp) not raw. Heck you can pick them up on ebay for less than the grading fee. I think my most expensive one is the 1996-W in 68 and I got that for less than 1/3 of the price listed in PCGS price guide. I'll be glad when I have them all so I won't have to hunt for them. Some are hard to find in the grade I want and the price I want to pay.

Later, Jon
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Ken I have a complete set that my kids did a few years back out of circulation. It was fun for them but neither one of them wants it. LOL
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I am working on an album of toned Roosevelts. I am not paying attention to FB.

I guess we are both crazy image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

I started a set about a year or so ago as I was completing my Mercury Dimes. They just didn't interest me as much, so I don't upgrade very often. I have sent some in for grading and they are either blind or super tough on the bands. If you want full band coins buy them don't try to make them; I have made only a few out of about 20 or so I tried to have graded. I do have a complete uncirculated set of silvers (1946-1964) I purchased many years ago. I have them in 2x2s. Maybe I should get them into an album. The high grade, great color coins are tough, and there always seems to be someone with more money when bidding on them.

Does the set have potential? A definate YES.
    Will they do as good as Mercury Dimes over time? I guess will see.
    Are they a substitute for Mercury Dimes? Not for me. I just don't get as excited over them.

Good luck with them! I hope you can find the same excitement as with the Mercs!image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Fairlaneman,
    Check the rainbowroosie set on NGCs registry and open the photos -- FB means little, color counts.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I like colorful Roosies. image I have many in NGC holders and many raw ones that I am putting in a book. I recently sold my PCGS graded coins. image To me, Roosies tone very nicely. I am, however, only doing the silver issues and I am almost finished with those. Since I am only concentrating on my book of raw coins, I just need to figure out what to do with my NGC graded coins. image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since I am only concentrating on my book of raw coins, I just need to figure out what to do with my NGC graded coins. image >>

Is this a hint ? If so let me know. Nothing above 66 though unless it is cheap.

This all started with me as a raw project also. After spending hours and hours searching Web Sites and finding hardly any raw toned coins, probably because most dealers do not describe the coins let alone put up a picture, a few slabbed coins have been purchased. After all of the slabbed coins come in I guess it would work to have both a Slabbed Set and a Raw Set. For sure the most colorful, in my opinion of course, will end up in the Raw Set. From what I can tell from recent purchases 4 1957P's will be around. Both sets will get this date for sure.

Now what do you think about this Wacked Out way to collect these ? Personally I think I have lost it....image

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

Why don't you collect them in PCGS66 with an occasional 67 thrown in. No bands of course. I just about have mine done.

Jon

Help us both. We want Mercs but have roosey money!!!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Ken,

My input would be that you should probably think about taking a pause to check your compass.

People collect coins for different reasons. Sometimes the ideal mesh of reasons doesn't exist, so you must choose your path wisely. Since this is a largely personal and perhaps even a philosophical question, I won't even begin to make comment or suggestions.

At the end of the day, you need to figure out what your realistic ideal mesh of reasons is and follow that plan.

For example, you might love a series but can't collect it in a grade or look that makes you happy, or collecting it in that grade or look might mean financial suicide. You need to rationlize collecting that series then. Conversely if you don't get a "rush" from collecting coins that don't have high market value or collector appeal, you need to take that in to account as well.

In many respects, I personally went through this transformation myself in the past year. I've emerged quite content. I'm collecting a type set of coins that have eye appeal at their respective grades. So if it is a BN coin, for instance, it will be a BN coin with nice eye appeal. And if I have to have a DMPL Morgan, well then it will have to be a super nice example but a common date. An ugly high grade key date coin won't make it in to my set, but a super original coin with eye appeal will.

At the end of the day, from a capital preservation (or dare I even say appreciation) perspective, a nice coin will always be a nice coin and will have some level of market demand.

Now if you have issues with determining what is a "nice" coin, or in general other collectors would not find your perceived "nice" coins as attractive, well then perhaps you should pause and befriend some folks that can help you in your journey.

Cheers,

Mike.

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    66s are cheap even with color........

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Just shudup and buy some Roosies!!!!

They are good for you!!!!!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Well I guess I'd better avoid them.
    It seems any category that I decide to start collecting in suddenly becomes a hot commodity and the prices skyrocket.
    So I guess I'd better stay away then.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Gee... you must have found that last one in a porta pottie.
    Dan
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Dan50, you saying that my Blue Roosie came out of a porta-pottie? image Well, here's more of the same Swisher-brand family!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    I'll buy that 61-d if it's a 66

Jon
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Yeah boy, those coins been soaking in porta potty BLUE for sure. image
    All kidding aside, that 63 is super sweet.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Just shudup and buy some Roosies!!!!

They are good for you!!!!! >>

I did and have been for the last month. Went Roosie crazy...image Will buy more after receiving 3 shipments and finding out exactly what was purchased. My record keeping is nil.

Lucy for sure I need to know how p8nt's 58D did when you get the results. It will be my guide if I should decide to slab some raw coins.

Ken
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ...Does it make sense to buy Roosies ? YES!!!!!

With color and not Full Bands ? YES!!!!!! Raw also ? YES!!!!!!!!

YES buy them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT ONLY if you are collecting and putting them in a great album

if not and you are buying other than to collect them you will always be stressed and/or unsure

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    YES!!! Buy what makes YOU happy. Roosies are a popular series for those collecting and have a great demand. Alas, it's only a fairly small following, but when they fall back into vogue, then your coins will appreciate greatly, again.

PCGS is HARD on many series now. So that means more 66's will be made. Thus, the price of all 66's SHOULD go down in price. So they will be less expensive now until PCGS gets looser in grading. Then, some of those 66's mighgt get the 67 or 68 they deserve.

I collect Kennedys, plus a few other sets occasionally. I started in 2000. There were only 3 of us in the MS Kennedy series, back in the old days. I was dumb and didn't pay the $75-100 the MS 67's were getting back then. Now some of those coins can bring thousands!! Heck, I'm still brooding after the 1977-D in PCGS MS 67 I won on E-bay wasn't delivered. I won it for $12 in 2001. The lady said she didn't receive my check even though I had the postal money order rceipt and delivery confirmation/signature stating otherwise. She told me she sent it to Teletrade. That's how I discovered it. Now that same coin I bought for about $200 about a year ago was pretty cheap. There's a certain Kennedy collector that's trying to complete his set and pays 5-20X book just so he can complete his MS set because he has a high ranking proof set. Watch what happens when PCGS makes a COMPLETE Rosie set. Then the prices for both the MS and proofs will go up.

HAPPY HUNTING! Also please add photos of the colored coins so the TRUE toned coin lovers like me can appreciate them. If you want to see some pretty mint state Kennedys, look at my wife's set. It's Golden Girl's Kennedys. The proofs are really hard to get toned! I can't get the true colors because I STINK at photos, but one day I'll break down and have one of the board members that shoot photos will have some work to do. Ray
    Here's one of my Roosies I got from a local dealer prettreasonable about 2 years ago. imageimage
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Will I get 1 winner out of these ? It looks like the 51S has potential.

Ken