Home Metal Detecting
Options

First silver of 2006

Before my town was hit with 14 inches of snow last Saturday night, I was able to go detecting for a few hours. A few months ago I saw this old building a town over from mine that looked like an old school. After further investigation, the building was indeed a school--my father said he attended that very school for one year.

The building was still owned by the county and was now used for special purposes, but no longer was a school. The building had a backyard that was at least 6 acres. When I tried to hit the place two weeks ago, the field was full of dogs--some kind of community dog training class was going on. So I thought great, I'll have many dog made hazards to avoid the following weekend.

I began detecting this location and found some modern clad fairly quickly, so I was a bit encouraged. However what I was finding was very, very modern clad. So my mind started to wonder, "Was this place already picked over?" Well after about 1.5 hours I got a signal that was kind of shacky if you know what I mean. But I still thought I should give it a try. I am not kidding when I tell you I tried to pinpoint the item for 10+ minutes. As I was just about to give up on this signal, I saw the silver round object. By its color, I knew it was a keeper instantly. It was a 1943 quarter. I can not explain why pinpointing was so difficult for this large object, but it just was--I have never had such difficulty before on quarters. Must have been some kind of ground noise throwing me and the detector off.

I did get to detect the location again yesterday, this time with no luck. I am fairly confident that the prime detecting locations of this site have been paved over to make room for more parking. Where I am detecting, it is a good distance for the rear of the building with the parking lot between the field and building. I am sure a few keepers are just below the asphalt.

Though a modest find by the standards on this forum, I was pleased.

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on the silver Keith! image

Maybe that quarter was lying on edge and caused you grief recovering it?
    I've dug some trash signals that turned out to be coins on edge. They can be difficult to pinpoint if on edge as well.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hi Keith

I will take 1943 Quarters all day Long !!!

Nice find !!

By the way if it helps the helpless feeling about the parking lot ,, many times the area that is asphalted has been excavated, and 6 to 8 inches of fill put in,, any coins that may have been there are more than likely moved or extremely deep . If there is a mound around any part of the parking, you might want to give that a try !!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Rick,

I never thought about what they did with the removed soil to make room for the parking lot. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep my eyes open for any possible mounds at that sight. It often takes good investigative skills to locate the good finds I guess.

--Keith