Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Star Pics auto cards

I remember reading an article somewhere regarding 1991 Star Pics auto cards. It was about the question of authenticity when it came to the round seal and autograph. Some of these cards were signed on the front and alot were signed on the back. I think it said that the seal had to touch a part of the auto to be authenitc. What I dont remember is if this goes for the cards signed only on the front or cards only signed on the back. Or perhaps for both ways ? Does anyone remember reading this or know how to tell? Here is a link to the auction in question.

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Stay far away from any Star Pics autos. I have heard that the stickes are not tamper resistant and also that some people have had the stickers manufactured. I have seen thousands of Favres and very few commons, thats got to tell you something.
  • Options
    Be careful, here is a real one sticker is on back and is tamper resistant link
    My ebay store IS CLOSED TEMPORARILY
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Br careful, Not to toot my own horn but here is a real one link, sticker is on back and is tamper resistant >>

The link isnt working.

matt
  • Options
    I had to edit, see above
  • Options
    Great Aikman card! Obviously its signed on the back and a gold sticker was used. Have you ever seen a Star Pic card signed on the front with a clear sticker as my link shows?

Matt
  • Options
    no, I can tell you If real I doubt from the 91 set, because all I have seen from that set look like the Aikman.
  • Options

<< <i>no, I can tell you If real I doubt from the 91 set, because all I have seen from that set look like the Aikman. >>

Thanks Sets.

Matt
  • Options
    I've never seen a clear sticker on those autos. The ones i own are signed on the back with the gold sticker....I never could understand why they signed the back of the cards.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options

<< <i>I've never seen a clear sticker on those autos. The ones i own are signed on the back with the gold sticker....I never could understand why they signed the back of the cards. >>

I thought the same thing. Sign the front! Thats what we want to see. Didnt Pro Line have some cards signed on the back as well?

Matt
  • Options
    lmm- If you ever find that article let me know as I would like to read it.

I have seen BGS graded Favres with every combo of signed front/back and clear/gold sticker. I have read that he only signed 50 on the front. I am sure that there are a lot of fake Favres including some in BGS and PSA holders (blasphemy, I know).

I assume they signed on the back because it is white and the signature shows up a lot better. Some of the cards have dark pictures and backgrounds on the front and the signature would not show well- same with Pro Line.
  • Options
    I'll post a scan tommorrow of front, it's a nice pic, maybe thats why they signed the back.
  • Options

<< <i>lmm- If you ever find that article let me know as I would like to read it. >>

Okey dokey!

matt
  • Options
    imageimage

That is sets Aikman side by side with the other listed on eBay- I think that proves the stickers are not tamper proof.
  • Options
    Allen & all:

Here is an intresting marketing research question:

Who's title is more appealing?

Who's description is more appealing?

If you were a buyer (He has the lower price) would you buy from him or send me an offer of 150.00?

His link

My link
  • Options
    Why is it that Beckett never listed any of these star auto cards of the big names until all of a sudden they started popping up after Star Pics was gone and Favre was hot. I doubt the majority of these Star player autos are real. I bet someone made a couple and then Beckett got wind of there being other star players and then listed them and boom there you have your "real" autos you can get in the sets.
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage

That is sets Aikman side by side with the other listed on eBay- I think that proves the stickers are not tamper proof. >>

Compare the stickers. The scribble in the center is poorly done on the fake auto card. Quality of the sticker is different also. So, that may be a fake sticker and not an original one removed from another card.

Pimp on....
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!
  • Options
    which one are you implying is fake? His or mine.
  • Options
    The other guys is fake- it is one of the forgeries from Asia.
  • Options
    The other guys is fake- it is one of the forgeries from Asia.
  • Options
    The little scribble in the middle doesn't mean jack, seeing it is basically the initials or signature of the authenticator. So if you look at other star pics autos you will see a whole bunch of different initials. Personally, I don't trust any Star Pics autos, except for commons. If you are worried, get a PSA/DNA quote on the authenticity. Otherwise, don't touch any star pics autos or proline autos with a 10 foot pole, unless you pulled them yourself from a pack/set/box.
  • Options
    PSA/DNA has slabbed fake ones.
  • Options
    I know for a fact Beckett has also, a Fake 9.5 Favre Star Pics auto with a 10 autograph.

So basically if PSA/DNA claims these fake autos are genuine, then I guess you really just need to stay far far far away! I mean, it's the perfect scam for these scumbags. Go buy common Star Pics autos for a couple dollars each, maybe a large lot for really cheap. Say 10 autos for $25 delivered. Well, if they ruin all but one sticker they flip that for $$$ after forging a stars signature and then putting the sticker on the card making it look "authentic" They do all these BS things like signing in a different color calling it rare or on the front or whatever also.

Seriously, I would not keep any star pics autos unless you actually pulled them, because they are probably worthless and not real.