Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Do Dealers get a BREAK at PCGS....

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious what people think about sending coins to PCGS for either crossover or regrades through dealers who submit A LOT vs sending them in on your own with a small order of coins.

Anyone think PCGS will give the dealers a break and crossover or give upgrades more frequently?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if I should send my coins for crossover or regrades through a big time dealer who submits A LOT or on my own with a few other coins.

I want to get the BEST possible out come of course.

Any thoughts or advice?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer will make sure the coins are submitted properlly. PCGS will treat the coins the same as any other submission.
    The only advantage the dealers have is they do it more often. IE there preceived to get better treatment.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know the graders knew who sent the coins in. Unless that was the case, how could it make any difference?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told that the graders never see the submission forms, so they can't know who sent them in.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think the only break dealers get is submission cost for bottom level stuff

I have started doing something and I will let you know how it turns out in a few months ->

I have submitted some raw coins to Teletrade for submission to PCGS

the cost is $9 submission (regular service) + $2 processing fee + 5% buyback ($5 min) if bid placed before auction start + $15 shipping return for buybacks (10 max)

Teletrade wants a $1000 minimum consignment -
    so I am submitting some coins I might want to keep and coins I want to sell

It might be 4 months before I get any coins back
    so for my coins worth less than $100, I will get them back for $16 + shipping

I will find out if dealers get a break (with grading)
    I am not sure if these costs will go up with new PCGS fees
    I do not need 10 coin minimum
    I can submit old stuff plus moderns on same consignment

as I said, I have no idea how this will work out for me -
    a disadvantage also is I have no idea on where these coins are
    and do not get the cool e-mails stating progress of submission
  • Options

<< <i>I have submitted some raw coins to Teletrade for submission to PCGS

It might be 4 months before I get any coins back
    so for my coins worth less than $100, I will get them back for $16 + shipping

a disadvantage also is I have no idea on where these coins are
    and do not get the cool e-mails stating progress of submission >>

The grades will be in about a month after Teletrade hand delivers them to PCGS, which is quite often. You can check the grades as soon as they become available by entering the submission number, which is probably your last name (or a portion thereof) preceded by the letters "tt", but all one word. Most of the people at PCGS Customer Service don't even know that submission numbers thru Teletrade are actually letters.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    wow, thanjks for the info - I guess they know who sent the coins after all

I got my first group of PCGS coins listed in the March 15 auction -> it looks like I will buy about 10 of the 19 coins graded back ( hopefully I will still make enough to cover submission and consignor fees)image

These PCGS coins were graded and entered faster than the group that went to NGC on the same day
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Yup, the arm of their preference.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage