Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else here who reads SCD wonder why they have ties with anyone involved with GEM Grading?

In the March 3 SCD, there is a huge listing for an auction by Coach's Corner... and the auction is filled with card after card in GEM 9 & 10 holders that are highly likely to be altered. Not a single PSA/SGC/GAI holder, and a small assortment of CSA and BCCG holders. All virtually worthless garbage in other words...

This is all known information by every advanced collector in the hobby... no mysteries here. Heck, even GEM admits they are idiots on the front page of their website "GEM Grading Services Inc. grades the quality of actual sportscard paper stock.
Providing authentication is challenging and not guaranteed due to improved computerized printing techniques.
Size requirements for sportscards are the standard published size plus or minus 3 mm."

On a side-note, but to add insult to injury, their main item in the auction is a (likely forged) Babe Ruth/Lou Gerhig ball with authentication by Chris Morales (who is in business together with the notorious Don Frangipani)...

But here's the mystery... Ted Taylor (who now runs STAT authentication) writes a full page article in the SCD talking about all the great crap in the Coach's Corner auction as well as recognizing the offering of a "1971 Topps Nolan Ryan card graded Pristine 10" (by GEM) and a "1973 Topps Mike Schmidt rookie card graded Gem Mint 10" (also by GEM). It appears Ted has some link to this auction, as a few of the items have been authenticated by his company, and there is mention of ScoreBoard (his former company) in a couple of the auctions.

I just can't believe SCD allows this to even be published in their magazine. Several pages after talk of the HBO documentary exposing fake autographs, and all the talk of wanting to clean up the hobby... and then this auction for the trash the hobby needs to rid itself of and an article talking it up.

Anyone else notice this or have any opinions about it?

Comments

• Options
    I believe Ted has an interest in Coaches Corner. I've noticed the GEM cards in their auctions and that alone guarantees I'll never bid on any of them (or submit anything to STAT). Caveot Emptor (if I'm spelling correctly which is doubtful).
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Agreed. They don't practice what they preach.

Next thing you know there'll be ads from cash-starved lowlife sellers for pictures of cards they cut out of magazines and authenticated with the grading company in their basement.
  • Options
    It's unfortunate because I hate Coach's Corner for burning me on a couple of lots of raw cards but somebody is buying all that junk from them and they keep throwing those advertising dollars at SCD. Unfortunately, SCD won't do anything because of their loose requirements for their dealer/advertisers to make up for their errors. All they have to do is offer to put a $5 or $10 credit on someones auction account and they're still in the good graces of SCD. They like/need those advertising dollars too much to really care. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    All I want is the photo of Salma Hayek! After reviewing 16 pages i found the lot number !!image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't argue with the observations made at all.

Coach's Corner has been advertising in SCD for years and gradually, has increased its listings with vendors purveying pure garbage.

Gem is not a grading company, as such, but more like a "clearing house" for crap that big dealers need to unload by "validating" the material with - what appears to be - a holder designed to mislead unsuspecting
    and uninformed collectors.

For all I know, Gem may be a "vendor" of the stuff - distributing it to all those questionable "power sellers" on ebay?

Over the years, I thought that CC was a legitimate company since they abide by the strict rules established by SCD - I will have more on that down the road.

I think economics is the single factor in where/what SCD has gone/become.

Declining revenue and subscribers is, no doubt, at the core of their problems and the motivator in the poor choices, I think they're making.

I used to be a defender of SCD but my patience has worn thin over the years.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭
    A761506,

You have some very valid concerns. I think it's worth a letter to SCD, normally they print them with a response. I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.

-Tom

P.S. Nice win for our Sparties yesterday, even if it's too little too late.
  • Options
    As in any hobby or business: 1) Friends of a feather... 2)Money talks.....