Home Metal Detecting

Heading to Sebastian Inlet this moring...wish me luck!!

I have been dying to try out this new whites MXT I bought more than a year ago and I figured this 3-day weekend would be the perfect time. I am heading over to Sebastian Inlet which is where one of the 7 spanish galleons of a plate fleet sank off the coast of florida. It is widely known that coins and other valuables routinely wash up on shore from these wrecks so I am hoping that I get lucky and find at least something from the ships. I have the machine to do it but it's a long stretch of beach so picking the right spot is going to be pure luck.

I'll be sure to post a follow up note when I get back so wish me luck image

Comments

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Let us know what you find !
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Well I made it back safe........didn't find a whole lot but I found out the Brevard county went in and replaced a bunch of the beach that had erroded after the Hurricanes last year so in essence that sprayed a layer of sand over the top of everything which means that I may have to rush out after the next storm to have a shot of finding anything. The stories of treasures found was thick in the air everywhere I went and at least two gentleman walked up and showed my silver reales they had picked off the beach in the past..........if that doesn't motivate you to stick it out nothing will.

I set up on the beach in Wabasso on my first leg.....it's certainly a daunting task as there are hundreds of miles of beach and they don't call the East coast of Florida the Treasure coast for nothing......there is tons of stuff washing up all the time and it's just about being at the right place at the right time....which I wasn't ...DOH!! So after about 2 1/2 hours of searching my back started to ache, my throat was dry, me feet felt sunburnt....and I had only searched about a quarter mile stip of sand image

I then decided to head to the McLarty Treasure Museum which is in Sebastion Inlet and only a few miles from where I was searching. After walking through the Museum.....and looking at a book of recent treasure finds I was thouroughly motivated to go out and hunt some more. The nice lady at the museum told me about the spots where most folks were finding stuff so I headed to that very spot.......optimistic as heck that I was going to strike it rich. 2 more hours of searching turned up a few questionable items, one of them is pretty much a guaranteed artifact from the ship as I had seen similar pieces at the museum. The other two I don't know about......one looks like a large nail.....similar to what they might have used to hold a ship together but for all I know it could be a modern roofing nail that is just rusty?

The last piece is a real mystery......it's pretty large about 2 inches long by 1 inch wide and flat....it's medal, but is not magnetic and I found it stuck to the bottom of a rock? I don't believe it's silver.......could be a piece of cast aluminum or something as it has no markings and is too big to be a coin.

All in all the weather was fantastic and I did have a good time even though I didn't find any coins. I will certainly be out there after a storm as that seems to be when folks are finding stuff just laying on the surface of the sand. image

So........here are the picture of my artifacts.......and also some nice shots of the beach, and of course one of yours truly just to prove to my wife I was Metal Detecting instead of having a secret rendovouz with a latin stripper image

• Nice story and pics!

It's good to see you could get out and put that fine machine to good use.

<< <i>So........here are the picture of my artifacts.......and also some nice shots of the beach, and of course one of yours truly just to prove to my wife I was Metal Detecting instead of having a secret rendovouz with a latin stripper >>

You sure the stripper wasn't holding the camera in this pic? imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Great pics and nice story. Though you did not find metallic treasure, the scenery looks to be a gem. Here in Maryland, we had a high of 34 and a wind chill in the teens. I would gladly take a few hours of beach detecting to rock hard ground coinshooting of modern clad.
  • nice pics!.....to bad you did'nt find anything valuable from the wrecks....the stuff is there????? you just need the right conditions and a little luck....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage