Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need help with ornery ebayer.

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a little dismayed by the comments that suggest we intentionally attempted to deceive anyone. Or that we should have known better. We've been on E-bay for over 6 years, and we have a pretty darn good feedback record. And we would use our good e-bay reputation to start ripping people off? Why now? With Sports Illustrated cards? It makes no sense.

We've completed almost 5000 e-bay auctions with only a few neg. and neutral feedbacks. And we leave positive feedback immediately upon receipt of payment (including for this particular transaction), so buyers could easily leave us negative feedback without fear of retribution. But they don't. It's because we're honest. Pure and simple. Any suggestion that we have turned crooked overnight is ridiculous and irresponsible. Looking to use this board to "hone deceptive practices"? You've got to be kidding.

No question in my mind that Hub's "plan" for this auction and probably a lot more of these cutouts would be auction 'em off and send 'em out and hope the sellers don't open the plastic holder or don't find out what worthless crap they just paid $70 for. Hub probably figures that he'll have to refund a certain percentage of these customer's money, but in the overall "scheme" of things it might be worth it.

That's rubbish! That Willie Mays card was the only Sports Illustrated card we had. A scheme? Again, why now? Does our feedback record mean anything to you naysayers? The only "plan" we have is to continue to act like responsible e-bayers, i.e., try to honestly describe the cards we sell, mail them out right away, and leave timely feedback. I can't believe this one auction, where I disclosed the issues to anyone and everyone on this board, and considering we have a good e-bay history, would elicit accusations of dishonesty or ulterior motives.

The only reason why I posted my question in the first place is because we get so few complaints. I sincerely wanted mature advice on how to handle the situation. Apparently these SI issues have caused quite a bit of consternation within the hobby. I didn't know. Now I do.

By the way, we sincerely appreciate the constructive comments several of you have made. And we especially appreciate the private e-mails many of you have sent.

I'm a HUGE fan of the discussions on this board. Some of the stuff you guys come up with is not only educational, but incredibly witty. I guess that's why I'm so disappointed that so many of you would think the worst. >>

Hub - you defended yourself well without name calling. If you had started with the name calling, it would have been quite easy to spot you as a potential scammer. You handled your response with class and I believe your response.

We give our opinions here for better or for worse and let the chips fall where they may. I gave my opinion based on the information put forward and I stand by that opinion based on the information given at that time. Your response gave us more information and therefore I changed my opinion about you.

This forum isn't always warm and fuzzy, sometimes it can be hard, and in my view that "hard" makes it a great forum. But we are all fellow baseball card collectors and 99.9% of the time I think towards the end of a heated thread we for the most part digitally shake hands and move on to the next topic. I've had a number of situations whereby me and someone else beat each other's brains in on a thread, but on the next thread we could be in total agreement and support each other. Other than a few pathetic trolls who quickly get removed, there is not a single regular poster here who if I met at a baseball card show I wouldn't be happy to buy them a drink - perhaps some wouldn't drink with me (LOL) and that would be okay.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks Steve K. Not trying to stir up trouble.
    If you have a moment, please check out our E-bay auctions.
    our e-bay auctions

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>digitally shake hands >>

That sounds like somethin' you're not supposed to do in public....and that's the truth.

Mike
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Hub,

That response that was absent of name calling really elevated my already positive opinion of you.

I wonder how the buyer will respond after sending him an explanation and giving his money back. If the letter is written friendly enough he may realize that he learned something and appreciate you for it.

When I had to return something without a hassle from a ebay seller, I become a more loyal customer and mutually beneficial transactions follow. I like the analogy of lose the battle but win the war.

I am not a seller, but I really don't want to sell something to a person if he does not need it or it was not as described. Having a good reputation in the community is more important to me than making a few extra bucks, which will neither make me rich or send me to the poor house if I lose it.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hub,

That response that was absent of name calling really elevated my already positive opinion of you.

I wonder how the buyer will respond after sending him an explanation and giving his money back. If the letter is written friendly enough he may realize that he learned something and appreciate you for it.

When I had to return something without a hassle from a ebay seller, I become a more loyal customer and mutually beneficial transactions follow. I like the analogy of lose the battle but win the war.

I am not a seller, but I really don't want to sell something to a person if he does not need it or it was not as described. Having a good reputation in the community is more important to me than making a few extra bucks, which will neither make me rich or send me to the poor house if I lose it. >>

Well said.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Apparently these SI issues have caused quite a bit of consternation within the hobby. I didn't know. Now I do.

With all due respect to the few guys that feel Hub was being evasive when a potential buyer asked him a question and he replied that " That is what the label says" Please answer me how do you know what was in his mind at the time?

perhaps he did indeed not know. perhaps he thought that it was a "card" I have cards from germany on thin paper stock.

Steve
    Good for you.