Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Hostess Baseball Set - Panel Form - Any experts here?

A 1975 Hostess Baseball Complete Set is being offered to me, but I have no idea how to price it. The set is in strip form (3 cards per strip) and was professionally cut along the outside dotted border (so the three cards are still attached to each other). The set is shrinked wrapped, the front and back strips look like NM-MT shape at least. He actually bought the boxes from the Hostess plant and has the strips cut, pretty good foresight for 1975.

Here are my questions:

1. What is a fair price for this set? The dealer has a $400 price tag on it, but is willing to negotiate.
2. Should I keep the set the way it is or have it cut and submit the cards? Does PSA grade the strips?
3. Is this a popular set? The player selection is very good for a food issue set.

I am surprised how little PSA 10 Hostess cards bring on ebay. I wonder if the hand cut notation hurts it.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The set is shrinked wrapped >>

nd

What do you mean by this - do you mean the entire set is shrink wrapped together?

If so, how do you know the condition of all the panels? Creases my be hard to see sometimes - a crease would drop the value of the panel way down.

I don't collect the set - but unless the panels are Nmmt - 400$ seems kind of high IMO. I don't have a new price guide for this year but last year it listed for right around 200$ nm.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stone,
    Yes the entire set is shrink wrapped together. I'm basing my condition judgement on the top and bottom panel. The panels are very clean (no marks) and have a nice clean white background. You can tell these strips were never used for boxes. I would open the wrap before finalizing the deal, but understandably he doesn't want to break it until he has an serious offer.

I mainly collect football and dabble in baseball (mostly 1970's stuff), so I don't have any of the baseball yearly price guides to reference.

Is the $200 book for a complete hand cut set? I wouldn't come close to paying $400 for it.

Mike
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I have had quite a few Hostess panels graded by PSA. If I were you I would keep them in panel form. I would use a paper cutter and cut them squarely around the borders and submit them as panels. There are not too many panels that have been graded by PSA to date.

As of now there are only two individuals who have a 1975 Hostess panel set registered. Most people with interest in the graded panels are those who collect individual superstars and not the set itself.

To give you an idea of what they might go for, about six months ago I sold a 1977 Hostess Rose, Carew, and Seaver panel psa 9 for $100. I also have a PSA 10 that I have kept for myself.

What you really have to watch out for with these panels is not only the cut around the lines of the cards but the the surface scratches and scuffing that you find so often on these because the Hostess boxes were laying on top of each other in the grocery stores. As a kid, I had those boxes spread out all of the floor looking for my favorite players.

I would say that $400 sounds pretty good if they are free of surface problems and are cut nicely as you say. Get them graded as panels.
    The panels with Reggie Jackson and the one with Bob Gibson should fetch a nice price in high grade being that they are short prints.
  • Options
    I was offered complete 1975 set for $250.00 at the Pomona show in Dec. The dealer also had many different years from $150 to $300. All were shrinkwraped in 3 card panels.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ndleo...

If the panels are high grade quality then they would easily be worth $300-$400 once graded, but if they have any surface wrinkles or scratches that would keep them from high grade panels then even $200 may be overpaying for them.

JMO...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)