Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need some help fellow forum members!

I snagged this card in the local .50 box because I like nice parallels like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8767588393&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1&rd=1

I"ve gotten ebay message offers of $15, $20, $25, and I just got a $100!!! offer to end the auction early! Apparantly people collect deaf ballplayer cards or something? I don't get it! What should I do? I dont know if it will get up to $100 since only one guy made an offer that high. I'm not used to pulling things, but for $100, jeez. I dont get this?

JOhn
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    No idea why, but here's the link:

Curtis Pride
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the $100 and call it a day!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull it and sell it to Mr. Pride's mom for the $100. I don't know who else would want this card for $100.
    Mike
  • Well John, you're the seller and if you're happy with $100 then take it. I'm not really a proponent of ending auctions early, but in this case I think I would go for it too. I've only really had one serious offer to end an auction early. It was also a $100 offer. I let it ride and it ended at $105.

Good luck with whatever route you take.
    << image >>
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John

I won't be in the majority but if they want the card bad enough, they will set a snipe or bid till they win!

It's already up to 20 bucks...tells me anyone offering you 10-15$, knows something.

My recommendation is to the let the auction run its course.

You will always be appreciated by collectors who are watching or have set their snipes.

Just my opine on this cold and rainy nite
    good luck - whatever you decide
    mike

Mike
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Stone, I would agree that letting it go is what the bidders would want, and it's probably the "right" thing to do.

That being said, $100 seems like a good price for this card, I'd take it.

Remember, auctions are a funny thing. A guy can set a snipe at $1000 for that card, but if the next bidder bids $20, it's selling for $21.00. It takes two to get top dollar on an auction. My obvious point is if this guy is willing to pay $100 for it, someone else has to be willing to pay $99 for it or you won't get that much.

Of course, you could let it go and it might sell for $125. Sure doesn't seem like a card that would draw that much interest. Let us kow what you decide.

shawn
  • I'd take the $100 in a second.

"I put my pants on just like you... One leg at a time. The differences is when I put them on, I make gold records."
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Well, I don't think there's any moral issue here at all. It's your card until you enter a contract to sell it. As far as I'm concerned yyou're well within your rights to pull it with 20 seconds left if that's what you want to do.

But I think I'd just let it ride out. Why not? It's more fun that way, and like Stone said the price could hit the moon. Whenever you reach a fork in the road, and the decision is close either way, always pick the road that's going to be more exciting!
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    $100 bucks is some serious dough for that card. But, I would let it go to the end. I dont like when sellers end auctions early.

Matt
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    I really have no idea what to do here. I never thought this .50 card would blow my mind like this!

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Just three weeks ago, I listed a card and got a couple of offers to end the auction early. The highest was $200. I really wanted to take the money, but I did not feel right about ending the auction. A couple of people had bid and there were a couple people watching. I did not think the card would bring more than $200. Well, the closing price was $535. Every time I have had offeres to end an auction early, the realised price was higher than the highest offer.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    My 2nd highest offer was $25, so It would bite if the card only sold for $26 and I had an offer of $100 on the table for it. But, it seems like the guy wouldn't offer $100 for it if he thought he would get it for $25, that's for sure. At least, if I see an auction I want, I don't typically offer 4x what I think I can get it for through the regular bidding format.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • I think someone may be having some fun with you. There seem to be plenty of Curtis Pride cards on the bay at normal value. Unless its his mom and this is the only card of his she doesn't have I think someone's playing.

Tell the person who offered $100.00 to Paypal it to you and you'll end the auction. If not let her ride.

JMO, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think they are playing you and really are after the Uecker card.

Steve

PS....take the 100.00 and run.

make it a BIN auction and tell the guy he has 5 minutes to do it. paypal only etc.

then after the BIN auction is done, cancel the other auction.

As a seller you can shut down an auction. The item is yours UNTIL the auction is over.

then make sure you buy the local guy lunch.

Good for you.
  • John,

Did you get the card at Caveman?
    JMB, I did not, I got it down at Centerfield Sports on Booneville, it was just in some 'common' insert box he had. Do you live around here or something?

JOhn
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • I actually went to Drury University in Springfield for undergrad.
    Ah, nice school.
    I actually work at Caveman (now called Vintage Stock) on tuesdays and saturdays...

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Remember, auctions are a funny thing. A guy can set a snipe at $1000 for that card, but if the next bidder bids $20, it's selling for $21.00. It takes two to get top dollar on an auction. >>

And then one of them that wins could always say his finger slipped and he didn't mean to bid that high. Ya never know, but that finger slipping excuse cost me nearly $300!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'll throw in my take on the card. As a collector of Fleer's Ultra Platinum Medallion parallels, I am thrilled whenever a scarce card I'm looking for comes up on the Bay. As the years progressed, starting with 1997, the print runs progressively went down:

1997 - 150
    1998 - 98
    1999 - 99
    2000 - 50
    2001 - 50
    2002 - platinum medallions not issued
    2003 - 100 (the exception to lowering print runs)
    2004 - 66
    2005 - 50

With the lowering print runs, you'd think the most recent years would be harder to find, which hasn't been the case. Those '97s, which AF has an example of, almost never show up. I oughta know - I've been chasing the same five Dodgers for about four years. They just don't show up. That may be the case with AF's auction - either it is Curtis Pride's mom, or a Tiger fan that has been chasing a team set for a long time, or one of the real psychos out there that is chasing a master set.

All things considered though, my advice would be to take the $100, quickly. I've never seen another '97 approach that amount, with the possible exception of the Nomo, which I think went for a whopping amount the last time I saw one.

Geordie
    thanks everyone for the responses. One of the bidders messaged me saying they were prepared to spend well over $100, and the card could 'hit the moon' basically. They said a lot of people collect Curtis Pride because he is a deaf player, and this is his most rare card (and the person seemed, literally, excited at the prospect of bidding on the card!)

I'm beginning to think I've either hit a gold mine here, or this is an elaborate ebay joke being played on me for putting a common card up for auction. I guess we will find out in 5 days.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm beginning to think I've either hit a gold mine here, or this is an elaborate ebay joke being played on me for putting a common card up for auction. I guess we will find out in 5 days.

John >>

Yeah, and the black choppers flying over your house tomorrow are going to send down a paratrooper to nab the card. image

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    It is up to 50.00 as i write this. Remember to bring the shop dealer lunch one day. no need to tell him why. Just wanting to be friendly.............

Steve
    Good for you.
    Not to shabby, 81.00 on a .50 bargain.

Steve
    Good for you.