Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has Ebay ever given your personal information?

Long story somewhat condensed.

Earlier this week I won these cards at a good price. The auction ended late (or early in the morning depending on where you live) and my snipe came in:

1979 Bill Bergey PSA 10
1979 Isaac Curtis PSA 10
1979 Dan Pastorini PSA 10

Anyway I paid and got nice feedback. Today I get an E-Mail from a seller with a 98.8% feedback (although no negs for a long time) offering me $60 for all three and I pay postage. I politely declined. I then get an email from E-Bay warning me about offline transactions and in this note it has my name, address and phone number.

Two minutes later my phone rings and it is this guy calling me! He got my phone number from E-Bay. He kept insisting that I check out his auction on this card for a trade:
Wayne Gretzky

I would say there are red flags there (1 day sale, bidder with 0 feedback).

He then tells me that this card is a guaranteed PSA 10. The card as you can see is 99/250 which would have some nice value. I asked him why he didn't have it graded and he says PSA won't grade just one card. That was the end of any possible credibility he had and I got rid of him.

Has E-Bay ever done that to any of you?

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    That is too strange and bit scarey to. I would try contacting ebay about it and ask them how or why he ended up with that info.

matt
  • Options
    That is strange no one is supposed to get your contact info unless they have a transaction going with you. I would definetly take Matt's advice on this one and contact eBay, raise a little hell with em while your on with em.

BTW nice pick-up on the cards
  • Options
    Did you ever sell him something in the past where he received an invoice with your phone number on it?????? My experience with eBay has been that even God would have trouble reaching a live person to talk with at eBay!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    The guy probably searched the completed listings and saw you won the cards. Maybe the guy you purcashed the cards from, sold him your info.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    I know that it is possible to get your address and phone number from Ebay, but you should get an email along with who requested the information. When I had some high dollar items on Ebay about a year and a half ago, I was getting both emails and phone calls from collectors making off line offers. There are so many loopholes on Ebay to get contact information that it borders on the ridiculous.........
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Looks like his shill has 2 bids down on that Gretzky.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The guy probably searched the completed listings and saw you won the cards. Maybe the guy you purcashed the cards from, sold him your info. >>

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i have a couple of items for sale and he put in a $.99 bid on one of them. can you get information about a seller that is not listed on the auction just from bidding on an item?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have a couple of items for sale and he put in a $.99 bid on one of them. can you get information about a seller that is not listed on the auction just from bidding on an item? >>

yes.. i'm 90% sure..
    ·p_A·