Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why does eBay permit "Private Bidders" ???

Check out this one. He throws in a bid on this re-listed item that did not sell at $99 for $100, retracts it and bids $1 over then highest bidder. I emailed the seller to advise him to pay the extra for signature confirmation and insurance if he decides to ship to this unnamed unreviewable purchaser. Why does eBay allow for this to continue!!!!!!!!!!! Text 80 Gretzkyimage
My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!

Comments

• Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    I could be wrong, but this is just my opinion. eBay sells a lot of other items, including the Adult areas with
    videos and other items which a lot of users probably don't want to be seeing purchasing those type of items.
    I would guess eBay made the private auctions just for that reason in the first place, and now so many
    other users use the feature to hide there feedback and high bidders because they have something to hide
    in the first place. And like 99.9% of the time, it's just an auction to stay away from, like all of you had
    said in the past here.
  • Options
    The auction is probably shilled. When he realized the bid was no where near his actual bid, he retracted and went a dollar over.
    Nakes it seem the card is more desirable then it really is when alot of bidders are bidding. The 17 feedback is really horrible with this type of card for sale though.

Just my 2cents.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    YIKES. The PRIVATE listing was out bid by ANOTHER private listing! private listing - bidders' identities protected US $81.01 Feb-19-06 12:23:37 PST

private listing - bidders' identities protected US $80.01 Feb-15-06 13:15:42 PST

Bid retraction and cancellation history

User ID Action / Explanation Date of Bid and Retraction
    private listing -- bidders' identities protected Retracted: US $100.00
    Explanation: Entered wrong amount Bid: Feb-16-06 15:33:59 PST
    Retracted: Feb-16-06 16:28:30 PST

My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the complaints about "Private" auctions, bidders and feedback. I agree that they are undesirable. What I fail to understand is why anyone thinks bids should be able to be retracted. I have vented on this before.

I was royally screwed by a bidder who bid 15-20 times in small increments, outbid me, and retracted. I honored my bid, and paid for the item. EBay was of no help whatsoever even though the bidder was totally obvious in his pattern. You are asked each time you bid if you are sure you are bidding the amount, and you confirm. My opinion is eBay is not interested in doing anything that adversely effects how high a item sells for.

NO BID RETRACTIONS!

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set