Home Metal Detecting

If there was one site in New England that you could search

where would it be and what draws you to it?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of them. There's history all over the place up there in Yankeeland.

I might stay close to Philly, where some of the earliest US mint products were most likely to have circulated. Of course, finding old Philadelphia beneath the concrete and asphalt of modern Philadelphia might be challenging, as might be the local laws. This is the problem with large urban areas that have lots of history. I have experienced firsthand the detector bans in Savannah and Charleston, so even if one did find a nice unpaved area to hunt, it might be illegal. But if one could get permission to hunt some demolition sites... who knows?

Surely there's still rural areas outside Philadelphia, if you travel far enough. I would look for small towns in the northeast that were coastal or on rivers, where coins might have traveled and been spent.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • that would be my grandmother's house in new bedford Mass. i have'nt been there since i was very young. my dad grew up in that house. maybe someday i'll make it there.

• << <i>Any of them. There's history all over the place up there in Yankeeland.

I might stay close to Philly, where some of the earliest US mint products were most likely to have circulated. Of course, finding old Philadelphia beneath the concrete and asphalt of modern Philadelphia might be challenging, as might be the local laws. This is the problem with large urban areas that have lots of history. I have experienced firsthand the detector bans in Savannah and Charleston, so even if one did find a nice unpaved area to hunt, it might be illegal. But if one could get permission to hunt some demolition sites... who knows?

Surely there's still rural areas outside Philadelphia, if you travel far enough. I would look for small towns in the northeast that were coastal or on rivers, where coins might have traveled and been spent. >>

Maybe somebody will come up with a search coil in a shoe. It might look like you were dancing especially if you were wearing a headset. Anyone watching would think you were moving to the music and not using a metal detector.

• << <i>Maybe somebody will come up with a search coil in a shoe. It might look like you were dancing especially if you were wearing a headset. Anyone watching would think you were moving to the music and not using a metal detector. >>

Here ya go.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • cool, it would be worth $26 just to try it.
  • Maybe some of the historic areas in Lexington & Concord.
    But of course, any forgotten untouched landscape is usually better than something obviously historical and fastidiously manicured.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • You can try digging around Independence Hall. I'm sure the hoards of security around there will love that.

imageimage
  • I doubt there is any open area left to dig in , it's mostly all concrete.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    place: very near to my home (1 mile away)

what it was: an old mob house they used to run liquour out of during prohibition. house burned down 1932, and the foundation now sits smack dab in the middle of route 34, and is very noticable as the driveway and gate posts are still there. this is perfect time to do so because summer time its over grown.

what draws me?...its history of shady dealings, prostitution amoungst other things.

also where im working now in bethany, there is tons of old farmland that is litterd with old foundations of previous dwellings...might be good stuff there also

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in COncord Mass, and detected alot.

My brother and I covered Emerson field a whole bunch of summer days. Pulled up lots of silver from the 40s and 50s...

Also pulled up a 1723 Wood's Hibernia half farthing!

We got permission to search a historic home from the 1700s.... nothing but one silver roosie!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    probably the smae as itsnotjustme i would go there because of the history and stuff.

gene2393