Home Sports Talk
Options

Les Habitants??

I was talking with a coworker today (from Kamloops) about hockey (we work in Portland, OR). I was asking him if he knew how the Canadiens got the nickname of "The Habs". He didn't know so I told him what another former coworker, by the last name of "Breault", told me years ago. He thought it stood for "Les Habitants de Montreal". I had no reason to doubt Mr. Breault, until I just googled the term and found the following: NHL.com link

Interesting. Anyone else have any opinion on the subject?

Oh, yeah, I started asking him about the name "Canucks" and if Canadians minded being called that. (Why wouldn't they? Vancouver's team has that name...dumb question, eh?) Anyway, he went on to say they have fun with that name, ala "Canucklehead"! image

hh

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I think that's a question in the original Trivial Pursuit: What does the H stand for the logo of the Montreal Canadiens? "Hockey" is indeed the answer.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that Goalie's used to play without a mask. That's insane. Talk about taking one for the team. Further proof that our father's and grandfather's generations were a hell of a lot tougher and braver than today's folks.
  • Options
    nice trivia read...thanks...