Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you had $1500 to buy just a card....

what would it be...

been thinking about a Ryan RC, Jordan PSA 9, Mays 52 psa 4/5, etc...

any other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    '57 pettit!
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA 9 Willie McCovey rookie.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    '59 Mantle
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I just bought this one which I was looking for a top quality one for a long time , 1600 so a little over but WELL worth it. THe card looks even better in personimage

• Options
    53 Mantle

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tho anything in the $1500 range will probably come in about a half dozen pieces!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    My collection is so incomplete that if I had $1500, I certainly would buy about four different cards.

Actually, $1500 is an odd ball price, at least in the cards I follow.

A lot are $400-$1000 in PSA 8 range and $3000 in PSA 9 range. Again, I'm referring to a lot of the cards I follow.

By the way, damn nice Rose rookie, that would be high on my list.

shawn
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>53 Mantle >>

I'll second that. Although a nice Orr RC would be sweet too
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Probably the nicest E95 Matty, Cobb or Wagner I could pick up at that price.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I still want the PSA
    10 OPC Yzerman #67 that Ray won this week for $2200 !!!image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    I was almost sure I had this (bidding at 997 with 1 minute to go, I had a max 1300 on it) and got sniped for 1301...oh well, 1300 was my max, but I thought being 300 over with little interest would yield it for me....

I did pick this up tonight for 220, so not a bad deal....(got the 84 update PSA 10 Puckett)

• Options
    I did get this one earlier this week...(I posted it on the jump in w/ a scan thread), but looking for one more show stopper to put away in the safe deposit box for a few years....as always your input is most valued...

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've been wanting to get a nice 19th century item for a while, now. There's an Old Judge King Kelly on ebay right now that started at $700. I've always wanted a Mayo Cut Plug Anson, though a decent one will go for something more than $1500. But other Mayos or Old Judges can be nice. Or a PSA 5 or 6 T-206 of a major HOFer like the Cobb red background.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    $1500 will get you a very nice PSA 8 Ryan rookie and leave you with $500 still in your pocket.

Buy a card you like... as you can see, everyone here has significantly different interests and motives (collect as hobby vs. collect as investment or somewhere in between). Some collect modern, others collect pre-war cards of players they have only seen in still pictures or paintings.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T206 Yellow background Walter Johnson portrait
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I would take this over any '84 Clemens rookie.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Something pre War, or even better, 19th Century.
    Wouldn't touch anything from the '60's or later for sure- unless it was incredibly rare, like '61 Dice or '68 3d- and on the latter I'd be afraid of cracking.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Something pre War, or even better, 19th Century.
    Wouldn't touch anything from the '60's or later for sure- unless it was incredibly rare, like '61 Dice or '68 3d- and on the latter I'd be afraid of cracking. >>

I agree insofar as baseball is concerned, but I think there are some basketball/football/hockey cards pre-1970 that are pretty scarce. Still, nothing like 19th century stuff.
  • Options
    $1,500 is tough to figure out. Most 8's are in the $400 to $1,200 range and 9's are $2,500 and up.

Probably a low grade (crease free) '33 Goudey Ruth.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I just bought this one which I was looking for a top quality one for a long time , 1600 so a little over but WELL worth it. THe card looks even better in personimage

image >>

Nice!

rbd

#5 Rose Master Set
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    A 1933 Goudy Ruth or 1934 Gehrig, a 1955 Koufax, Clemente, Mays, or Aaron.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a PSA 9 Willie Stargell RC. A Pete Rose RC in PSA 8 would be cool as well.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

>>

Nice card! Are the corners as strong as they look? This was graded a long time ago and if you think it may be a 9, maybe you should crack and resub?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    The best 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth card I can get for that price slabbed or unslabed.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards shown and discussed - my poison would be one of the T206 Cobb's in an appropriate grade to the price.

Barring that, a really nice T206 Mathewson portrait, or a T206 Big Train.
  • Options
    A Debbie Rochon signed card that I would obtain in person.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I would buy psa 9 1969 willie mays

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    My holy grail -- a centered '56 Mantle PSA 7.