Home Sports Talk
Options

POLL: Do you care about the winter olympics?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
To get past the irrelevancy of Gumble's 'GOP convention' remarks, I'd like to know, honestly, do you care about the winter olympics?

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I cant get enough of the mens hockey.

Other than that, couldnt care less. And as a side note......I would rather watch curling than some 16 yr old valley girl with freckles and braces on a snowboard. Completely American created olympic sport with the sole intention of x-games generation dollars.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Olympics have changed and it is just not the same... seriously...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I could care less about the Olympics. Nothing against them or anything. Just doesn't do anything.
  • Options

<< <i>I cant get enough of the mens hockey.

Other than that, couldnt care less. And as a side note......I would rather watch curling than some 16 yr old valley girl with freckles and braces on a snowboard. Completely American created olympic sport with the sole intention of x-games generation dollars. >>

I agree completely...the same way I felt when the introduced softball to the summer games. More dollars and a way to inflate american medal counts.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Some of the "sports" in the Olympics are about as exciting to watch as paint drying.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No, but I still watch highlights."

With the Cold War basically over, the Olympics now has a different meaning in my view. Nothing in the winter Olympics really interests me now, but I still enjoy a number of events in the summer games, especially the track.
  • Options
    what?

you guys don't have Skeleton fever?!?!?!?!

• Options
    I could care less. I've watched a total of maybe 5 minutes of it.

Besides, the events which are decided by judges aren't really sports anyway. Their competitions.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Never was a big fan of the Winter games, but I do enjoy the Summer Olympics. I will say that I did watch curling - always enjoy that. Other than that, nothing interests me including hockey - but I do not like hockey anyway.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would rather watch curling than some 16 yr old valley girl with freckles and braces on a snowboard. Completely American created olympic sport with the sole intention of x-games generation dollars. >>

are you 60 years old? why do you dislike the x-games?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Just the womens curling (sisters)cause they are from bemidji... They are out of Medal contention now though.

So no image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would rather watch curling than some 16 yr old valley girl with freckles and braces on a snowboard. Completely American created olympic sport with the sole intention of x-games generation dollars. >>

are you 60 years old? why do you dislike the x-games? >>

The x-games should remain just there...they shouldn't be in the olympics.

• Options
    It's been something to watch until Daytona weekend. Now it's all about turning left at 200 mph. F1 starts in a little over a month so things are looking up! image
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but that shuffleboard on ice thing they play fascinates the crap out of me. I find myself watching it and then I think, "What am I doing?" But, I keep watching it. LOL
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    How many of you No/Don't Care people live in a place where you can have outdoor hockey?

To me they are a very interesting diversion to the NBA/NFL which get so much talk and air time.

It's the winter games and I don't see why people without winter would be that interested. It's still a great event in my book.
  • Options
    After watching Shani Davis' attitude in his interview after winning the gold medal, I honestly think the cold has affected his brain...he said like 3 words and the girl from NBC even asked, "Are you mad about something"? He said, "No just at a loss for words...with the expression as if he was just told his sister had been raped". This guy just cost himself MANY MANY millions in ad revenue losses for his apparant chip the size of Mt. St. Helens on his shoulder...what an IDIOT? I mean, honestly, a minority winning gold in the Winter Olympics would be marketing gold if he had a 1/10 of an ounce of charisma, this guy is a joke....I have 10:1 that says he moves to France....
  • Options

<< <i>After watching Shani Davis' attitude in his interview after winning the gold medal, I honestly think the cold has affected his brain...he said like 3 words and the girl from NBC even asked, "Are you mad about something"? He said, "No just at a loss for words...with the expression as if he was just told his sister had been raped". This guy just cost himself MANY MANY millions in ad revenue losses for his apparant chip the size of Mt. St. Helens on his shoulder...what an IDIOT? I mean, honestly, a minority winning gold in the Winter Olympics would be marketing gold if he had a 1/10 of an ounce of charisma, this guy is a joke....I have 10:1 that says he moves to France.... >>

You have no idea what Davis had to deal with with prior to the interview. The stark difference between Davis's smiles on the ice, and his frowns during the interview, suggests something else is at issue here.

Furthermore, USA's Hendrick, when asked if he felt happy for Davis's Gold, responded, "I feel happy for Joey (different USA skater who won a Silver)."

There's obviously something brewing on the team. For all you know, that interview might have taken place rightbefore an argument between teamamtes.

Story on Yahoo:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/speed_skating/news?slug=dw-blind-ambition&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Options
    a winner will shine through no matter what is going on around them....this guy must have gone to the Mike Tyson school of public speaking...and his reward for such will be a much less lucrative career after the Olympics....if Davis isn't big enough to put aside teammate differences in an INDIVIDUAL sport, I have little repsect for his character (black or white, doesn't matter regarding this)....
  • Options
    None of these explanations work with Team USA coaches Eric Heiden and Dan Jansen, two of the greatest American skaters ever, who don't seem to care much for their gold medalist.

"He is going his own way," said Heiden. "He is not a team player."

"I would rather not speak about Davis," said Jansen. "I don't want to have problems with him. He doesn't say a lot to us. He goes his own way."

• Options
    Maybe Davis isn't looking for a lucrative career after the Olympics...maybe he is an athlete simply for the love of his chosen sport, not money...maybe he already has a fullfilling life outside of skating...gee what a novel idea.

• Options

<< <i>maybe he already has a fullfilling life outside of skating >>

Shani started skating at the age of six.
    Shani's hobbies are playing video games, listening to music, and fishkeeping

Sounds like he's on the fast track to a job at Best Buy and weekend work at Pet Smart
  • Options
    I will admit something had to have been wrong with him as tonight in his i/v he seemed very humble and had a much "classier" interview...sounds like the US SS team is in total disarray right now...what a shame...
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    The Olympics don't bother me as much as they seem to get under the skin of others. I watch when I'm able to watch.

I can't understand why some people are so vocal about their dislike for the Olympics. College basketball or NASCAR or whatever you prefer is a click away, so enjoy that if it is your preference.
  • Options
    The Arctic Winter Games will be held in Alaskas Kenea Peninsula this year, some of the guys from the forum might be interested in the cheek pulling event image
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to bring it back, but while I agree that turmoil within the US speed skating team is probably very intense, I lost most of the respect I had for Davis while watching that interview that sandman referenced. ANY athelete, regardless of desire for post-competition marketing advantages, should carry himself or herself better thatn Shani did in that interview. My first thought was actually, "What would he act like if he had lost?" Very classless to me.

Also, they mentioned (sorry, no quotes) that the US speed skating is a team in name only. Basically, they only come together for competitions. They don't train together, live together at the village, or do much of anything together. At least that was the impression that I got.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I watch the hockey a little.. and when flipping channels I'll stop to watch for all of 2minutes. I do check the medal rankings every day to see how Canada is doing, so I guess I care.. LINK TO MEDAL TRACKER Germany is a power house.

Edited to add.. I want my NHL back bad.
  • Options
    Does anyone else get the impression most of the US athletes have little pride whatsoever in their competing?

Bode Miller (and the rest of the downhill team) announced they weren't there for medals...uhm, really? The whole lot is a joke.

The above mentioned speed skating team has no cohesion, and dissent has obviously affected the performances.

The US hockey team is a complete and absolute joke...and Mike Madano rips the fact he had to make his own flight and hotel accomodations (hard to believe, but even if it's true, so what?) The pros should be gone immediately.

Most of these clowns seem more interested in the money and acclaim that happens after they win than actually representing their country.

Is it any surprise then that so few people actually care about the games?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it any surprise then that so few people actually care about the games? >>

it has nothing to do with why i dont watch much of it..

im just ready for Scrubs, The Office, and My Name Is Earl to return..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Years ago (60's - 70's), it was a family ritual to watch the winter olympics. There was not much else to watch. The events were unusual and uncommon for us.....so we did it with great interest and rooted for the USA. Nowadays, there is massive exposure to all kinds of stuff. People are more interested in mainsteam sporting events and can access same 24/7. Too bad, IMO.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I can't help but think no more USSR to root against is a big factor, too.
  • Options
    The major problem with the winter olympics is that it really is a handful of core events that are spread out to create a tournament. After all, what is the deal with the 4-man bob sleigh, what do the extra 2 members contribute besides ballasts? Why is there a long and short program to the figure skating, is endurance really an issue? Why do the shorter speed skating events look more like roller derby than a legitimate event? Why is there downhill skiing, slalom skiing and a combined event? Finally, isn't basketball an indoor, winter sport?

I do like the ski jumps, curling and hockey. Yet these sports are overshadowed by the more 'dramatic' events.

After more thought, wouldn't it be interesting to see each style of event held in a different venue instead of this one-host-nation-scenario? After all, most folks simply watch it on TV anyway. Why not split up the events to maximize the tourist revenue? What does NBC, BBC, NEWSASIA, or CBC (et al.) have to lose?

Just my simple viewpoint,
    Nick

I misspelled 'simple', go figure. You will probably find more.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it any surprise then that so few people actually care about the games? >>

it has nothing to do with why i dont watch much of it..

im just ready for Scrubs, The Office, and My Name Is Earl to return.. >>

Not to mention SNL - and Conan.
  • Options
    no i dont care whatsoever
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched the Olympics practically every night. Besides the fact that I like most of the sports, it's just nice to watch something where every country on the planet can get together in one place in peace and sportsmanship and seemingly anyways, have fun, and actually get along together image

Steve
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    im just ready for Scrubs, The Office, and My Name Is Earl to return..

so true ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I have to say, thank goodness that's over! Even as a major, rabid, sports junkie - I couldn't get into these "sports" at all, and not to mention, usually you can at least root for the USA athletes. Not this year, seems like Team USA was filled with knuckleheads like this Bode Miller bum, and the speed skater who won gold but couldn't go out of his way to say 3 words of thanks or acknowledgement to the press.
    Embarrasing to say the least. Not even the "Flying Tomato" (yikes) could generate any interest!
  • Options
    I can't agree more...I saw in today's paper the olympics were over and did all i could to stifle a yawn.

Tape delays, events that have no draw, no star power, and a bunch of whiny, complaining american athletes = no interest.
  • Options
    The Olympics is mostly made up of sports that most people aren't interested in anyway. I can't think of a time when I went out of my way to watch any of the sports involved. Hockey is the only real spectater sport and there's still a whack load of people mad at the NHLPA for being on strike last year.

The only real draw for most of the sports happens when someone from your country is doing well.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for all the athletes who try their best.

And I'll also add that some of the sports are amoung the best in the world in terms of all out excitement. Down hill skiing, bobsled, short track speed skating, hockey and more. And if you think that's a bunch of BS.......then just head on back to the NASCAR track Jimbo image.

Heh heh, just kidding.
  • Options
    Go USA! I'm really excited about our biathlon athletes, bringing home the gold.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, reading through this thread, I realize I'm the only one here that enjoys the Winter Olympics more than the summer games. I think all the skiing and snowboarding things are great and very entertaining. Maybe it's a generation thing, maybe it's cause I actually ski, I don't know. I love the hockey as well.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually I love the Olympics.
    Not so much curling...but most others oh yeah!!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually I love the Olympics.
    Not so much curling...but most others oh yeah!!! >>

Curling doesn't really fit in the Olympics. It is a nice game to watch though on a cold Sunday morning as I often did while growing up near the Canadian border.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it's a generation thing....... >>

of course it is....i'm sure a few of us go back far enough to recall Eric Heiden & the hockey team in Lake Placid, or the success of the Mahre brothers & Bill Johnson in Sarajevo.

i was a bit too young to fall in love with Peggy Fleming, but i knew that Snoopy had the hots for her.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like the Olympics a lot and if anything it creates a great diversion for a few weeks over what is normally on TV.

I've made a point of attempting to attend at least part of an Olympiad if I can. Other than expensive costs and an overall clusterf--- the atmosphere can't be beat. I was in Vancouver and Whistler in 2010. A friend and I looked into doing a trip to Sochi but the logistics were one giant pain and aggravation after another.

And for the record, although most people in America won't notice because they don't know any better, NBC's Olympic coverage is absolutely horrendous and excruciating to watch compared to Canada's CTV or the UK's BBC. NBC's Olympics coverage is simply too truncated, choppy, too wordy, short on actual sports coverage and filled with incessant human interest stories that collectively sound like a broken record playing over and over again.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Boy you can say that again. Picked up CBC in Detroit and what a world of difference. No up close and personal BS and about 1/3 the advertising.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have as much interest as I once did. Plan on watching the hockey and some of the skiing. There seemed to be more interest years ago when there was less media coverage leading up to the actual coverage. There is so much prehype/build up now that it lessens it's impact once the events are actually aired. Then there's the prevailing terrorisism concern/politics of the games that infringe on the proceedings. 10 years ago had the pleasure of taking a trip to Lake Placid,Ny to see the" miracle on ice" rink. Was alot smaller than I'd imagined.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".