Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card damaged by PSA - what to do?

I recently sent a 2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Robinson Cano RC Gold Refractor #22/50 to PSA for grading. It was in mint condition. It was returned graded a 9 but with 3 big surface scratches that are very evident to the naked eye. These 3 scratches were not there pre-grading. I even have pregrade scans to prove cards mint condition pregrading. See attached. Pregrade scans show nothing. What really ticks me off is this was a 1/1 card since 22 is Cano's jersey number. What can I do? This is total neglect on PSA's part. With the scratches on the card and the size of them there is now way this should have graded a 9, but it is! This totally proves they did it! I sent the pre and post grading scans to PSA and am waiting for a response. Anyone know what I should do more or expect from PSA? I estimate this cards value to be between 400 and 600 currently but with huge upside. The scratches seriously effect the longterm value and this card is irreplacable because of the 22/50 numbering. Damn this makes me mad! Seriously considering going to Beckett from now on. PSA has really dropped in quality and service lately. This takes the cake!
Rob

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure the scratches are on the card and not on the inside of the slab? See if the card moves inside the slab and watch to see if the scratches move with it. Not being rude but as far as your comment about going to Beckett from now on, good luck with that.

Matt
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    While I can't say that PSA did do this, my guess is it's your word against theirs... and guess who's gonna win?

Don't be so quick to go to BGS, this EXACT thing happened to me on my last submission to them... hence, my LAST submission! I have 3 cards, count'em 3 cards damaged by those $%#@'s! One of which was a '92 Bowman Manny Ramirez returned a BGS 5.0 because they had managed to put a huge crease in the center of it! .... WOW!

I feel ya... been there, done that. I wish you luck!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options

<< <i>Damn this makes me mad! Seriously considering going to Beckett from now on. >>

Not sure why you didn't in the first place since I consider Beckett the way to go for cards from the last few years.
    Hopefully they will make it right if indeed the card was damaged.
  • Options
    Scratches definitely on the card and not on the slab. I purposely scanned card prior to sending to PSA for this very reason! Doubt it should even grade a 9 now with those big scratches. All the more proof they did during the slabbing.!!!!!
    Rob
  • Options
    Bgs also tore up my Shaq rc. I think it was only my 2nd submission to them at the time. I have submitted alot more cards to Psa then Bgs and have never had a problem with psa.

Matt
  • Options
    I am sure they will make it right for you. I would try calling them and ask to speak to a manager.

matt
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I think it's the risk we all take and the odds of you getting anything accomplished is low , especially considering the aggreaveation you are going to go through.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Matt's probably right... they may help, all you can do is try. Give'em a call, and please let us know what you find out!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    That's too bad, how about posting some before and after scans?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Tough luck. I doubt PSA would even talk to you about it. He said v. he said and when one of the "he's" is PSA they win! Sorry.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently sent a 2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Robinson Cano RC Gold Refractor #22/50 to PSA for grading. It was in mint condition. It was returned graded a 9 but with 3 big surface scratches that are very evident to the naked eye. These 3 scratches were not there pre-grading. I even have pregrade scans to prove cards mint condition pregrading. See attached. Pregrade scans show nothing. What really ticks me off is this was a 1/1 card since 22 is Cano's jersey number. What can I do? This is total neglect on PSA's part. With the scratches on the card and the size of them there is now way this should have graded a 9, but it is! This totally proves they did it! I sent the pre and post grading scans to PSA and am waiting for a response. Anyone know what I should do more or expect from PSA? I estimate this cards value to be between 400 and 600 currently but with huge upside. The scratches seriously effect the longterm value and this card is irreplacable because of the 22/50 numbering. Damn this makes me mad! Seriously considering going to Beckett from now on. PSA has really dropped in quality and service lately. This takes the cake! >>

PSA has the best graders, not only on the planet but in the entire Universe! Hence the name CU.

They are Da Best!

I hope I don't have to say this again...Da Gradas don't make mistakes!

They are infallible, invincible and undeniable!

Don't make me come back!

Da Big Cahuna

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

They are Da Best!

Don't make me come back!

Da Big Cahuna >>

I was wondering what was up with the avatar. Now I know image

Matt

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>I recently sent a 2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Robinson Cano RC Gold Refractor #22/50 to PSA for grading. It was in mint condition. It was returned graded a 9 but with 3 big surface scratches that are very evident to the naked eye. These 3 scratches were not there pre-grading. I even have pregrade scans to prove cards mint condition pregrading. See attached. Pregrade scans show nothing. What really ticks me off is this was a 1/1 card since 22 is Cano's jersey number. What can I do? This is total neglect on PSA's part. With the scratches on the card and the size of them there is now way this should have graded a 9, but it is! This totally proves they did it! I sent the pre and post grading scans to PSA and am waiting for a response. Anyone know what I should do more or expect from PSA? I estimate this cards value to be between 400 and 600 currently but with huge upside. The scratches seriously effect the longterm value and this card is irreplacable because of the 22/50 numbering. Damn this makes me mad! Seriously considering going to Beckett from now on. PSA has really dropped in quality and service lately. This takes the cake! >>

Sorry to hear if the card got scratched....but I have a big problem with one thing you say....and you arent the only one, it is all over the bay these days.........just because a card is the same number as the players number does NOT make it a 1/1.....it is getting obsurd to hear what people are claiming to be rarities or 1 of 1's......i feel like going through a box of commons and drawing in mustaches on the players and selling them as rarities and 1 of 1's
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    What Bri said!
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    Oh bloody hell, it's not like a jersey-numbered copy of a card doesn't tend to get a significant premium over other copies... the people who buy the cards obviously think they're special and unique, so why wouldn't I make a note of it when I'm selling a card? Give it up and enter the realm of reality image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    Well stated Bjork! I wasnt trying to sell it as a 1/1 either, I was just making a statement to show that it CANNOT be replaced.....which makes it a unique by default .....only one in existence, 1/1, whatever! Anyway, I was just asking for recommendations from the forums members on what recourse I have with PSA.
    Rob
  • Options
    Bri - can you tell me where I can get another 2003 Bowman Gold Refractor Cano BDP124 #'d 22/50 - matching Cano's jersey number? Since it is not a 1/1, I guess I can get another one somewhere?
    Rob
  • Options

This thread has taken on a disturbing resemblance to something you would see on the Beckett boards.

matt
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I think PSA ruins all my cards! They are 10's when I send them but almost NEVER arrive that way! image
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PSA ruins all my cards! They are 10's when I send them but almost NEVER arrive that way! image >>

PSA has the best graders, not only on the planet but in the entire Universe! Hence the name CU.

They are Da Best!

Don't make me come back!

Da Big Cahuna
    Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I'm sure they will compensate you for a card that was clearly damaged after grading and is no longer in the condition that they assigned it. PSA has a guarantee that applies to this situation. As long as you, the submitter, return it for review, you should be compensated for it once they determine that the card is overgraded.

That's a lot different than a card that is damaged pre-grading. THAT is when you have no real proof that they did it and little chance of receiving compensation.
  • Options
    Tough break NYRob guy, very frustrating image.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think before coming to the message board you could have emailed someone at PSA first and talked it over with them. JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bri - can you tell me where I can get another 2003 Bowman Gold Refractor Cano BDP124 #'d 22/50 - matching Cano's jersey number? Since it is not a 1/1, I guess I can get another one somewhere? >>

If they damaged that same card that was numbered 1 of 50 you couldn't replace that either since there's only one numbered 1 of 50. Like there's only one numbered 2 of 50 and so on. They are all uniquely numbered, so I don't get the one of one bit. If on the other hand you want to say it may command a little bit of a premium because it is his jersey number then I would agree with that. I collect Nolan Ryan and I have a jersey card that's numbered 30/34. That is both of his jersey numbers that he wore with the 4 different teams that he played for. He wore 30 with the Mets and Angels and he wore 34 with the Astros and Rangers. Yes I paid a premium for it, but I don't consider it a 1 of 1.

JMHO...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>image

This thread has taken on a disturbing resemblance to something you would see on the Beckett boards.

matt >>

image Yeah, sometimes the CU Open Forum makes me forget to use my online equivalent of my "inside voice" when talking to people I can be quite sure are reasonable folk image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options

<< <i>PSA has the best graders, not only on the planet but in the entire Universe! Hence the name CU.
    They are Da Best!
    Don't make me come back!
    Da Big Cahuna
    image >>

Well......
    For Graders that don't make mistakes......

I have about a dozen "mechanical errors" from recent grades.
    I have several 1969 Topps Decals that are labeled as 1966 Topps Rub-Offs
    Here is one of the Cert #'s: 12450888 (This was a Roberto Clemente PSA NM 7)

I just ran into a bunch of just graded cards and found out that they were also "mis-labeled"
    They WERE 1987 Topps #49 Steve Yzerman Rookie Hockey cards, PSA NM-MT 8 and PSA Mint 9's

BUT the holders say:
    1987 O-Pee-Chee #67 Stever Yzerman PSA NM-MT 8's and 9's
    Here are several of the Cert #'s: 12450775, 12450779, 12450778
    I had several of these running on eBay (and they were OVER book $65 & 165) when I found the error and had to pull the auctions.
    Unfortunately the Topps cards are worth a fraction of the OPC prices on these Hockey cards.

With all of these and more errors that are occuring, it makes you also wonder about the Grades, were they correct? Since they didn't even read the Card # correct...????!!

Very frustrating, especially with what you pay for grading.
    Oh well, they are still the best available, just wish they would get their act together.
  • Options
    The only thing missing from this thread is one well placed shameless promotion of SGC.

GO SGC!

• Options

<< <i>The only thing missing from this thread is one well placed shameless promotion of SGC.

GO SGC!

image >>

matt