Home Sports Talk
Options

Culpepper to be traded - second round pick?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Heard today the rumor is that Culpepper is going to be dealt, and all Minny wants in exchange is a second round draft pick.

if it's true, Oakland should do this deal in a minute...but I can't believe he'd be let go for such a low asking price.

Any Minny fans have better word on this?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not surprised that Minny would consider a second round draft pick for their best offensive player, Minesota just has no clue how to put together a decent proffessional program.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Culpepper is going to be a huge pickup for some team. If he goes to the right spot, he could turn a good team into a Superbowl contender. I'm not a Minnesota fan but I've always thought Culpepper was a great player. I've always been a Kurt Warner fan so I'd hate to see him go, but a Culpepper-Dennis Green reuniting might be a positive thing. Plus he would have a monster receiving core in Arizona.
  • Options
    No denials by Vikings or Culpepper
    Neither the Vikings nor Daunte Culpepper addressed reports that he has been put up for trade.
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 17, 2006 – 12:55 AM

Neither the Vikings nor quarterback Daunte Culpepper on Thursday would address the news that Culpepper is now available via trade, possibly for as little as a second-round draft pick.
    Fran Foley, the team's new vice president of player personnel, said the team will no longer discuss its football business in public. Culpepper, meanwhile, said in an e-mailed statement that "trying to delve into speculation, innuendo, rumor or anything else of this nature would be a waste of energy."

Pointedly, neither side denied the essence of a report that the team began shopping Culpepper this week -- partially in response to his request for an additional $10 million in compensation this season. Profootballtalk.com, a well-connected website, reported that the Vikings have told some teams Culpepper could be had for a second-round draft choice.

Foley, introduced Thursday to the Twin Cities media, wouldn't comment on Culpepper's availability or discuss any aspect of Culpepper's status.

"I won't talk on any evaluation of any current player," Foley said. "Whether it's Daunte or another player. I can't give you an evaluation on him as a performer or our plans with the player."

Coach Brad Childress was not available for comment. Owner Zygi Wilf did not comment while attending Foley's news conference. Regardless, a person with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday that the Vikings have in fact called multiple NFL teams to determine their interest in trading for Culpepper.

Baltimore, Miami, Oakland and the New York Jets all are teams expected to pursue quarterbacks this offseason. Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus March 14, and the Vikings seemingly would want to make a decision by then.

Culpepper, who is scheduled to make a total of $8 million in 2006, has sought a raise on three separate occasions this offseason. According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Culpepper demanded a total of $18 million for 2006 during a Jan. 31 meeting with Wilf and other members of the organization. Wilf turned down that request, and the Vikings have since decided to determine his market value -- which, most observers agree, will remain low as he rehabilitates three torn ligaments in his right knee.

In his statement, Culpepper did not doubt the veracity of those details but questioned why the sources did not agree to have their names published. He said that he will assume he is remaining with the Vikings until told otherwise, but he didn't say whether he wanted to continue his connection with the franchise.

"My position has been and continues to be that I am focusing on rehabilitating my knee so that I can come back and play the game I love at the highest level," Culpepper wrote. "Until I hear different from Mr. Wilf or the new 'triangle of authority' at the Vikings, I plan on playing quarterback for Minnesota."

• Options
    I think he's expected to miss the first part of the season. He got hurt so late in the year and the recovery time is approx. 1 year (or more). The vikes might be looking at his potential return date, how much $$ he's asking for, declining production and saying that they'll take whatever they can get. And at this point, a second rounder isnt too bad.

Edit: as a non viking fan living in Minnesota, I think the vikes are putting a little too much stock in Brad Johnson. Serviceable guy...but not an everyday starter anymore.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Whe needs Dumte when you have Brad Johnson and his super bowl ring? I guess Oakland didn't get enough INT''s from Collins? I don't
    see a Moss/Dumte reunion helping the silver and black, even thought they are about as desprate as a three legged dog right now!

They should get Lamont Jordan some more blocking, the guy is a beast.

Minus Tice and minus Dumte I think Minny is an automatic contender this year!

JS
  • Options
    The vikes actually get better removing some of the roster. That might include Culpepper. the magic they had in 98 is gone. Fred Smoot, Napolean Dynamite and the rest of the defensive "improvements" might pan out, but they are stale.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a Vikings fan since the mid 1960's. While Culpepper is an amazing athlete, I don't believe he is a "winner" he had an awesome statistical year a couple of years ago, but the Vikings record has been average since he took over the starting role. The defense has been poor for much of the time, but even when the defense played well, Duante didn't seem to be able to capitalize on those situatiuons.

The rumors are he is asking for millions of dollars in guaranteed money. With doubts about his knee, I would not be very interested in a major investment until we know if he is even able to play this year. Duante without his running ability, or with a diminished ability might make him an average QB, coupled with the Vikings going to a west coast passing game next year, his future with the team could certainly be in doubt.

Brad Johnson doesn't exite me as an athlete, but he sure seems to win a lot of games. I heard on one of the sports stations that his winning percentage as a starter was in the top five. I am not sure of what numbers were used to determine this, but my point is athletic ability doesn't always translate into wins. He is getting a bit long in the tooth though, one wonders how many productive years he has left.

Remember what Bud Grant used to say "Statistics are for losers".

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Getting rid of DC will rank right up there with the Hershal Walker trade, the Randy Moss trade. DC needs to stay and prove the naysayers WRONG, which he will given the chance...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Getting rid of DC will rank right up there with the Hershal Walker trade, the Randy Moss trade. DC needs to stay and prove the naysayers WRONG, which he will given the chance... >>

I agree wholeheartedly, and if they let him go for a draft pick will just show how inept this organization continues to be.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hershal Walker trade was a big gamble that was supposed to be the final piece in the puzzle to finally win a Super Bowl. Failed miserably. The Moss trade? He didn't do much last year and neither did what the Vikings got in return. Too early to rate it as a good, bad or non-factor. I hope Duante recovers and plays well. If the Vikings decide tro get rid of him, his value, being injured will be little. It would be a great trade for a team that has been looking for a QB. I have watched Duante closely and am impressed with his abilities, but not his impact as a leader.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure the contract would go with him, which is why they would do the deal. As a life long vikings fan, nothing they do surprises me.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053