Home Stamps Forum
Options

more over priced stamps?

I sometimes wonder if some of these people really make an attempt to discern the true value of the stamps they sell?
Was there ever an overprint error on this stamp?
nice condition for a 20 cent stamp!
Nice group of commons worth about a buck

Interestingly enough, they offer three completely different shipping methods ranging from free ship to media mail and UPS.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"

Comments

• Options
    ...And he/she even has a -1 feedback rating. There are many sellers who feed on the non-informed collectors; but probably nearly as many as who don't have a clue what the true value is. I find this stuff kind of entertaining in a way; just like the Coin Vault and Shop at Home coin shows; even though I agree its bad for the hobby.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Yes, but it's an image seller image
  • Options
    There was a special printing of the 1st stamp when a color error was discovered...scott nr. 1204. If this seller didn't have just one feedback, I'd swear I'd come across them before. Something looks oddly familiar.

Jerry
  • Options
    Yeah, I get a kick out of some of the sellers on ebay. The uninformed ones are funny to downright hilarious. The sellers that really set me off though are the dealers(who ARE informed)who think it's still a stamp show in 1980. Selling stamps with obvious faults as gems with terms like"superb for issue" "small thin doesn't detract" (doesn't SUBtract much from the price much either!). There is even a seller who constantly quotes PSE grades in their Title an then doesn't mention that the stamp ISN'T even actually graded but that a "cert is available" in the last line of their description. Well yeah, a cert is available to ANYONE who submits and PAYS for it,now that's a lucrative and deceptive way to make a buck! Also the seller doesn't guarantee the grade he quotes. For it to be an honest selling practice he would have to refund the PSE fee too.If anyone wants a list of the crappy Ebay sellers I've dealt with and/or the top notch ones let me know. It's funny to note that most of the items I return are from the dealers that you see constantly in Linns and the American Philatelist. With grading getting so big now, I NEVER buy stamps from big dealers on Ebay. Because you can just about bet there is some sort of flaw or production defect that has kept them from submitting it for a grade THEMSELVES but "minor" enough to keep from mentioning it in their description. I bought a 723 pair from I think it was"stukatz" it had a natural small thin, when I returned it I was told there wasn't anything wrong with it. Well there never is when your a dealer. It's funny too that almost all dealers have a return policy,of course many times you don't get shipping or insurance costs back. Can you imagine if stamp dealers sold cars? You'd return 20 automobiles before you got a good one,while having paid taxes on all 20!! Hey I'll tell you what though, ebay is 100% all around, the best place to find good deals on stamps though. Here is a tip look for anyone besides dealers. Dealers will try to squeeze a nickel out of a penny whereas the casual seller (and non-collector) is more interested in getting whatever they can out of an item they usually also have little interest in. Avoid antique mall type sellers. They are the ones that want to look everything up in a catalog and attempt to sell stamps at 95% of retail regardless of condition. For example ,"this stamp is in incredible condition for being 125 years old. Scott book says ,'$95.00'. Starts at only $80.00!!." Well yeah,any tiny piece of paper that has survived for 125 years is going to be somewhat amazing in regards to survival due to it's ephemeral nature,but what's"incredible condition" ? The smallest flaw will cause an incredible drop in value. Well once again I've rambled on long enough. Hopefully I'll be able to see some more dancing ballerinas,robots?,spiderman,and a genie every to posts? As I hate to just be able to read the posts.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    In that first one, the "overprint" is the postmark!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Just for edueku

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I see they relisted those 3 stamp lots and lowered the BIN price by a few bucks. I don't know if the seller is knowledgable or not, but the 3 lots together are worth about a nickel. If someone buys any of those lots, I would sure like to do some biz with them.
  • Options
    I don't buy a lot of stamps from Ebay, mostly it's just too risky. The last large lot of stamps I bought was from 1957joe, a coin guy on the forum. He was selling modern stamps at face value plus a small fee for shipping and handling. That's where I got my Marilyn Monroe souveiner sheet. The last stamp I bought from Ebay was Arnold Schwarzenegger, which I paid more than I should have for, but I wanted it . I know, I'm such a girl. image
  • Options
    I've just about given up on eBay for buying and selling. I've gone back to the old fashioned mailbids....you don't see them until you get them....but so what. I haven't had to return any!

Jerry
  • Options
    Actually there are a few very good sellers on Ebay that I buy from all of the time. I rarely have to return anything.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I still make stamp purchases and sell occasionally on eBay and have been satisfied. I have encountered a few problems as a buyer, but they were resolved rather quickly or if it was a "cheap" purchase, I just make a note not to ever deal with that seller. I also make coin purchases there too. Its not much riskier buying stamps vs any other item off of eBay. Its always buyer beware at most anyplace.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The last time I bought stamps for my collection was about a year ago. I bought three Arnold Schwarzenegger stamps from the same seller all for under $9 with shipping included in the price.

I don't know if I overpaid, but they were in MINT condition. Its chum change to worry if I overpaid or not. I am glad to have these in my collection.

Laceupboots, we purchased the same stamps about a year ago when Plato gave us the link, remember?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Yes I remember, and mine arrived in mint condition as well, I'm glad to have it in my collection.
  • Options
    Quality stuff