Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Guilty Pleasure - 1991 Pro Set Football - yours?

I know these cards are basically forgotten as part of the overproduced early 90s, but I love this set. I can pull these cards out and flip through them and enjoy them. There is something nice about going through a box of cards rather than plastic slabs. I think the photos are great, lots of action shots. There are cool subsets like the Super Bowl Highlights, College Award winners, Top NFL photos of the year and some really strange WLAF cards.

I've heard people on here say "enjoy what you have". This is one set that I do enjoy and I don't care if it will never be worth more than $5.

Anyone else have any similar sets? I have lots of other guilty pleasures, but I'm afraid I'd digress.

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    1988 Donruss and Score and 1986 Topps for me. I know just how you feel image
  • Options
    Just got done ripping two boxes of 1989 Pro Set football looking for some stuff for the grading special. When I got back into the hobby around 1989/90 I remember opening a bunch of this. It was actually hotter then the 1989 Score football back then!
    Just got in a three box rack case of 1986 Topps baseball today
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>1988 Donruss and Score and 1986 Topps for me. I know just how you feel image >>

I love the Score baseball run from 1988 to 1990 as well. Cool cards.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    tkd7, I like the Aikman card. Mine would be 1994 Pro Line Live football. I love the nice photography and colors. I also like the auto sub-set.

Matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one set that I do enjoy and I don't care if it will never be worth more than $5. >>

"The" Post of the new year!

Mike
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I'm also a big fan of the 1991 pro set football. I love all the color action shots in the set. Also the rookie year of my favorite QB, Brett "Farve"

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 87D set.

Even tho it's not worth a lot - I like the RC's and the design.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    90/91 skybox hoops. anyone with me?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>90/91 skybox hoops. anyone with me? >>

The gold bordered ones? Yeah, I have really fond memories of it.
    I also really like the 1989-1991 Pro Set as well-I think I need to go back and find all my stuff and put a set together. I actually pulled out the 1989 ProSet binder a few weeks back (saw a reference on another thread) and had a good time looking through it-but I was still missing one card from it!!!
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Had a box and ripped them a few years ago, was able to make a complete set from the European League or World League cards that they included.

89 ProSet wasn't the centering on that just horrid? I remember when the first year of Skybox basketball came out, it was hot, the Robinson card in paticular.

Stingray
  • Options
    I love 1991-2 OPC Premiere hockey for the same reason!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    bwf, i'm thinking of ripping some 89 proset as well. just hit a case of 89/90 hoops...hope to get them next week.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 1987 Topps alot! I have 7 hand colated sets image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I still remember pulling that Otto Graham insert. I had no idea who he was, but assumed if it was an insert he must have been a big deal. Needlless to say, 10 years later that pull still had an impact on me....because when I got an otto graham signed card, I thought I had won the lotto
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I was drowning in 1991 Pro Set Series 2 cards for a while. I had busted about 12 boxes looking for a Favre rookie worthy of a 10. Damn those cards chip easy. The good news is that it was worth it because I got a 10 from the November special. That Favre has a population of 7 in PSA 10, easily his toughest rookie in top grade.

chad
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I second the 1987 Topps set. I like it so much I had to have the 1987 Opee-chee set as well.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Funny.. that signed ProSet Emmit Smith of Matt's brought back huge memories of 1990 ProSet hockey for me. Yeah it's worthless but it was a cool set having trophy cards, all-star player cards, gretzky's 1000 point card if I remember right, cards of the ref's in the NHL, Coaches, old time HOF players..

It was the first set I made. I was 10 years old, traded with friends, went back and fourth to the corner store to buy more. I got looking at some of the cards on eBay and it brought back lots of happy memories. I think I'll pick up the 705 card set at a local card shop for $5 if they have it.
  • Options

<< <i>bwf, i'm thinking of ripping some 89 proset as well >>

As I said the main reason I did it was to look for a few cards for the grading special. It was fun to see some of those cards again. I know they will be adding that set to the registry soon so it might be worth getting a few graded. I only pulled out the bigger rookies and a handful of star cards.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    '81 Donruss. No great rookies, awful production quality, poor photos, overproduction, thin stock, etc... but a lot of fun to open at $40 a pop and when you do get a "10" quality card it's pretty cool... since there aren't a lot of them! Also, I bought so many of them back in '81 I have fond memories. '81 Fleer and '81 Topps are also sets I "waste" money on.
  • Options

<< <i>Funny.. that signed ProSet Emmit Smith of Matt's brought back huge memories of 1990 ProSet hockey for me. Yeah it's worthless but it was a cool set having trophy cards, all-star player cards, gretzky's 1000 point card if I remember right, cards of the ref's in the NHL, Coaches, old time HOF players..
    >>

I've never seen the ProSet Hockey stuff but it sounds like the same concepts as the Football. I think ProSet really had some great ideas for cards that collectors want. Probably a card division run by collectors that had no idea for business.

I was looking through my set and I have the ProSet Gazette promotional cards of Emmitt Smith and Patrick Roy that were issued with the '91 football.
  • Options
    1990 Pro Set Football
    1991 Pro Set Football
    1981 Fleer Star Stickers Baseball
    1975 Fleer Pioneers of Baseball
    1983 Donruss Action All Stars (Soon to be)

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    When I first got back into collecting, 1989 Fleer baseball fed my hunger. After that, 1990 Score baseball!

Next, 1988 or 1989 Topps Football might be fun...
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

You may be joking but I recently bought two wax boxes of these for very cheap. Maybe it was $35 total, for two, including shipping!? Anyway, a lot of fun to open and some great memories there for me!
  • Options
    1965 Topps Embossed Baseball does it for me even though everyone thinks they're really ugly.
  • Options

You may be joking but I recently bought two wax boxes of these for very cheap. Maybe it was $35 total, for two, including shipping!? Anyway, a lot of fun to open and some great memories there for me!

Nope! I got 5 wax boxes from DACardworld a couple of years ago for about $25 or $30 bucks. I opened two of them and have kept three. I want to send them in but it seems like all the cards have different sizes and the print quality isn't all that great either but I like them. I have two complete sets just waitin' to get slabbed and three full boxes waiting to be opened some day!! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    My guilty pleasure: 1994 Flair Hot Gloves. Always have loved these cards. They came out when I was 13 or so and I recall buying a box of Flair II back in 1994. I got nothin' -- not one Hot Glove, not one A-Rod card. Now these Hot Gloves are a dime a dozen on eBay. I recently put together 2 PSA 10 sets and getting the cards graded costs more than the cards. image
  • Options

<< <i>Funny.. that signed ProSet Emmit Smith of Matt's brought back huge memories of 1990 ProSet hockey for me. Yeah it's worthless but it was a cool set having trophy cards, all-star player cards, gretzky's 1000 point card if I remember right, cards of the ref's in the NHL, Coaches, old time HOF players.. >>

IMO one of the ugliest sets of all time, and lots of error cards as well. I think that Gretz was 1000 asissts, not points. He'd been in the league 11 years at that point.
  • Options
    1984 Topps baseball, my first year of collecting.
    1987 Fleer Star Stickers, my father and I thought these were the greatest thing under the sun back in '87.
    1987 Fleer, never could find any back in 1987, the blue borders are very cool
    1988 Score, bright primary colors and very detailed write-ups on the backs
    Slurpee coins, 'nuff said
    1991 Stadium Club baseball and football, love the Thomas and Griffey from baseball and the Emmitt from football
    1993 Score football, again, awesome Emmitt card and cool borders

Junky cards of burned out prospects, especially rookie cards. Jefferies, Taylor, Walton, Gooden, et al.
    Lud Denny Santa Claus cards and Lombardi Holograms

Sole member of the Big Bob Amato Fan Club

1984-1994 was my own Golden Age of collecting, from Mattingly to the Strike. So I have a soft spot for all of the overproduced garbage from back then, because we never thought that it was overproduced crap at the time and we never really thought the party would end. $12 Kevin Seitzer rookies forever!
  • Options
    Brumbach,

I just picked up a complete set of '92 Stadium Club Baseball at ~$0.02 per card. Looking forward to going through it.
    Something nice about getting a complete set so cheap.
  • Options
    I have a 1992 set that I've been sorting through and breaking up slowly but surely. It's a big set with lots of the older players from the late 70's and 80's (Hubie Brooks, Jim Gantner, Kirk Gibson, etc.) as well as early cards of younger players from that time. Lots of action shots with multiple players and stars showing up on commons, Cecil Fielder on Gantner's card comes to mind, and I think that Griffey is ducking an outside pitch on Surhoff's card. The Ruben Sierra and Danny Tartabull from that set are pretty cool too. They don't make them like they used to.

• Options
    Your right about Stadium Club. Topps did use a lot of cool photos with multiple players. Here is a Derek Jeter/Bernie Williams combo that I think is a great shot.