Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Snow Day!! Yippee!!

Well, we're in the midst of a nice little snowstorm here in Wisconsin. So I didn't even bother to go into work today, but I walked the block and a half to the Post Office to pick my mail up at 8:45 this morning. If I get there early, before it's gone out, they always give it to me at the window. image One of the reasons I love small towns. In fact last week I was expecting my submission back from PSA and figured I would have to wait until Sat morning to pick it up. But the PO called my wife at about 6:45am on Wednesday (right after I had left for work), and asked if she wanted to pick it up and sign for it since they figured I wouldn't want to wait for the weekend. They don't open until 8:30am but they told her to just knock on the door. Now is that service or what!!
And while I'm on the subject of the Post Office, I just gotta tell you. I won an auction last Friday on Ebay - the item was in Alaska. I figured a good week to 10 days to get here right? Nope. It was delivered Monday - 1st class too!

So anyway, the mail today contained a nice box of 1988 Topps Bigs (1st series). I like the looks of these cards. Boy, was the colation ever bad on these. I had 4 John Kruks in the 1st 3 packs. Quite a few packs had exactly the same cards. But of course, there was only 1 Nolan Ryan - and not very well centered. But a good way to spend an hour between shoveling snow.

I'd go back to Ebay now, but I just put the 100th item on my watch list and it won't let me add anymore. image Can anyone say "bored". Time to go and play with my old cards I guess...
<< image >>

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Us Michiganders do not have such thing as a snow day, we get into work no matter what!

Stingray
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott, Thats great that its snowing and pretty cool you can stay home. What do you do for a living (if I can ask that). I love the snow. Of course in Florida I can say that because we visit places where it snows for vacation so its always fun. We live in the Tampa Bay area and its always quite busy. I would love to eventually move to a small town like yours. It seems in small towns everyone is always nicer.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, Thats great that its snowing and pretty cool you can stay home. What do you do for a living (if I can ask that). I love the snow. Of course in Florida I can say that because we visit places where it snows for vacation so its always fun. We live in the Tampa Bay area and its always quite busy. I would love to eventually move to a small town like yours. It seems in small towns everyone is always nicer.

Matt >>

Yeah - I sorta do accounting work. I did it for 30 years but now I hate it. Just trying to pay the bills now until retirement.

Small towns rock!!! Black Earth, WI is pop of about 1200. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    Are folks from Wisconsin getting soft!?

We native Minnesotans never miss/missed a day due to heavy snowfall or chill.
  • Options
    I'm just a fan of Bart Simpson & Calvin - neither one of them would ever miss a good snow day!!!
    << image >>
  • Options
    I'm from Wisconsin - and on lunch at work. No snow day here!
  • Options
    I am in Central Wisconsin, and it's an early release for the schools. I am going to give myself an early release also, not because of the snow but to resume watching Olympic Hockey where I started my day at 4:00 !!image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to give myself an early release also >>

Whew, I was worried were that sentence was going.

Stingray
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am going to give myself an early release also >>

Whew, I was worried were that sentence was going.

Stingray >>

Matt
  • Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Madison Schools closed today, which is very rare. They hardly ever close. I'm at work, but it will be fun tonight trying to pick up the kids from daycare. It might take 20 minutes to dig out my car.

I do agree with you about small town living. I grew up in Freedom, WI with a population of about 5000. Moved to Madison after college, but I sure do miss the quiet of a small town.

chad
  • Options
    Never knew we had so many people from Wisconsin on here. I'm in Milwaukee and we aren't getting hit that hard with snow but have gotten a nice mix of snow/sleet along with some thunder and lightning!
    On the bright side I did get my 3 box rack case of 1986 Topps baseball from BBCE today. image
  • Options
    We've got a few inches down here in Eau Claire, WI all of the surrounding schools had the whole day off or were called early. I however was not so fortunate as to get out of work. I have a feeling I am going to be staying a couple of extra hours because of all those who couldn't make it to work today. Oh well... que sera
    I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • Options

<< <i> I have a feeling I am going to be staying a couple of extra hours because of all those who couldn't make it to work today. Oh well... que sera >>

And we do appreciate you picking up the slack for us... uhm, slackers. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    it really doesn't bother me at all... i'm all about overtime right now... i'm getting married in May and we are looking to buy a house so any extra income is a good thing
    I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • Options
    There are quite a few more people on this board that are from Wisconsin that haven't chimed in yet. I work in Green Bay and live a little to the north.

A lot of the die hard vintage collectors are from Wisconsin - making those early Packer cards tough to find - trust me!!!!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    It got into the 40's the other day ..Big news in Miami.

I dont know why people live in such cold places...then again hurricanes are not very pleasant.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx