Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA nmear mint 8??????????? really?

with that rough edge and white showing all along the black border on the right? yuck!

Comments

• Options
    plus as I look at it again, the centering is bad too!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Might be close on centering, rough cuts do not get down graded unless the are actually more like edge chips. Look at 56s and 67s, tons of rough cuts in these sets.

Stingray
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    81 donruss as well...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Looks like a decent card.
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Agreed. Looks like a solid 8 to me. Or at least close enough such that it doesn't warrant any complaints.
  • Options
    sorry, but all that white on the black on bottom right is just NOT near mint in my mind.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    that's what she said...
    Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Then I guess 'gem mint' would be out of the question for the 'roughly' cut.....

• Options
    That OPC is UG-LY !
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    sorry, but all that white on the black on bottom right is just NOT near mint in my mind.

The white you see on the black is part of the ruff cut, which is done at the factory. Technically the card is an 8. Some people like that ruff cut, others like you, do not.

The old saying, buy the card not the holder rings loud on this one.

Moi? I have no problem with that card getting the 8 it did.

That card, it appears, has very strong corners and I believe the centering kept it out of a 9 holder. JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Dittos on all that Steve said...The only thing I'd add is that even a high quality scan doesn't show the true nature of the condition of the card. Sometimes scans will magnify small defects and other times they will not even be evident in the scan at all. I've purchased graded cards that appear to have a little touch on a corner due to a shadow or the way the card was positioned in a holder. When I've gotten the actual card, the corner looks razor sharp. Of course, the opposite has occurred as well. To me, there's no substitute for being able to inspect a card in person and see it as it truly is. BTW, I hate the PSA logo on the holder so often obscures the bottom right corner area in 50's cards, as it does in this card.

Todd