Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are These Two Monster Toned Peace Dollars the Same Coin?

Comments

• Options
    JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭
    lol
    I love coins...image
  • Options
    there is another toned peace with similar toning that he is selling for only $85image
    Nick
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    maybe go to $13,500?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Exactly where is the Possum Posse

on this issue.They be working so quietly

that no one knows their there.They are moving

so slowly ,that no one sees them move. They be doing so

little, that there is nothing to report. Way to go Posse.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Just don't blame Anaconda - they bought it in the holder. >>

Sorry they don't get a pass in my opinion and neither do the sell side individuals who came in and publically blessed this coin. NGC sold out also. Its no coincidence that collectors can spot this crap, yet dealers swear to it each and every time. Its no different than RE brokers selling people swamp land in Florida at 300X the going rate....They know what they are selling and they know the buyer is getting ripped.

• Options
    It does seem fair to say that between, the $55 eBay auction and Long Beach, a (false) story got concocted.

At this point, does NGC buy it back? Does Anaconda return it??
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>So since the auction is ended, what will Anaconda do with the coin? >>

They should first confront the seller who supposedly 'made' the coin and then NGC for slabbing it. Though, they can just say that in their opinion it's market acceptable and that's that.
  • Options
    Thank you Pat for finding that old listing. Something is definitely wrong here. We purchased the coin from a dealer at Long Beach who is very reputable who claimed to have purchased it in a paper 2x2 envelope from a dealer at the show and walked the coin through NGC immediately after he purchased it. After the coin came back graded, he brought it to us and since we have done business with this dealer before and because of his background, we didn't have any reason to not believe his story. BlindedByEgo was there at our booth when we purchased the coin. He can definitely back up my words. I still think it may have happened that way and the dealer he purchased it from may have made up the story. We knew it was a knockout but the colors didn't jump out as artificial. It is apparent now that there may be a different story behind this coin. I will bring the facts to Adrian and see how he wants to proceed. I have ended the eBay listing and have removed the coin from our website for the time being. I will be the first to stand up and take responsibility for listing the coin enthusiastically and I apologize that I didn't know where this coin originally came from. I will certainly do some investigative work into this coin's background with the seller on eBay.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here is my quote when this coin was first posted. Yes folks, once again I went against the grain. But what do I know!image

<< <i>No slams on the coin or the company the poster represents. I'll just add my personal opinion here. If I were looking for a very natural toned Peace$....
    The coin posted here would not be a consideration whatsoever!!

Edit to add, My opinion is based on the colors in the image that I see. I'm sure they are pretty accurate though. [q/]

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    This shakes my confidence in anaconda.rare.coins image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

That auction dropped quicker than a used rubber. Reckon someone here (i.e. big spending customer, another big dealer, etc )called the seller and let him know about all the hoopla.

Edited to say. Nevermind. looks like a regular.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Pat for finding that old listing. Something is definitely wrong here. We purchased the coin from a dealer at Long Beach who is very reputable who claimed to have purchased it in a paper 2x2 envelope from a dealer at the show and walked the coin through NGC immediately after he purchased it. After the coin came back graded, he brought it to us and since we have done business with this dealer before and because of his background, we didn't have any reason to not believe his story. BlindedByEgo was there at our booth when we purchased the coin. He can definitely back up my words. I still think it may have happened that way and the dealer he purchased it from may have made up the story. We knew it was a knockout but the colors didn't jump out as artificial. It is apparent now that there may be a different story behind this coin. I will bring the facts to Adrian and see how he wants to proceed. I have ended the eBay listing and have removed the coin from our website for the time being. I will be the first to stand up and take responsibility for listing the coin enthusiastically and I apologize that I didn't know where this coin originally came from. I will certainly do some investigative work into this coin's background with the seller on eBay. >>

What there isn't going to be a hanging? I was certain they were going to announce a public hanging.

I love coins...image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Everyone can make a mistake and the wool pulled over their eyes. So before anyone throws stones at Anaconda, let's keep that in mind.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Do you think you can go to a show and plop down a few hundred to have your coin inside a slab within an hour and get back a bodybag? Anybody think they'd get it back in a bodybag? Show of hands?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    same coin........................

proof is in the pudding so to speak

• Options

<< <i>Do you think you can go to a show and plop down a few hundred to have your coin inside a slab within an hour and get back a bodybag? Anybody think they'd get it back in a bodybag? Show of hands? >>

Yes and I have seen it happen. So my hand is raised and the vote is yes.
    I love coins...image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you Pat for finding that old listing. Something is definitely wrong here. We purchased the coin from a dealer at Long Beach who is very reputable who claimed to have purchased it in a paper 2x2 envelope from a dealer at the show and walked the coin through NGC immediately after he purchased it. After the coin came back graded, he brought it to us and since we have done business with this dealer before and because of his background, we didn't have any reason to not believe his story. BlindedByEgo was there at our booth when we purchased the coin. He can definitely back up my words. I still think it may have happened that way and the dealer he purchased it from may have made up the story. We knew it was a knockout but the colors didn't jump out as artificial. It is apparent now that there may be a different story behind this coin. I will bring the facts to Adrian and see how he wants to proceed. I have ended the eBay listing and have removed the coin from our website for the time being. I will be the first to stand up and take responsibility for listing the coin enthusiastically and I apologize that I didn't know where this coin originally came from. I will certainly do some investigative work into this coin's background with the seller on eBay. >>

best response you could give, and the right thing to do.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    the emperors new clothes and all that jazz
  • Options

Nick
  • Options
    .....i saw this coin origionally for sale on ebay from a seller that had a slew of similar toned coins ; i thought it and the others were obvious fake tone -

but the coloration was so fantastic ; i wanted to post it on these boards just to

show off what " I found " !

now the thing is Anaconda's in a NGC 66 holder !?

I wonder how the origional seller/doctor is feeling ..................how can he sleep ?
  • Options

<< <i> What to be said now except somebody took a $55 AT Peace Dollar to NGC with a story and sold that story both to NGC and to the buyer. Sad. >>

I seriously doubt that NGC was given (or listened to) any story before they graded the coin.

I'd like to praise Brandon for how he has reacted to, what I am sure is a shocking set of facts. I doubt that most others would have handled the heat in such a pleasant , non-defensive and dignfied manner. Brandon, as far as I'm concerned, you owe no one any apologies - you are not the one who made up the story.
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Damn, even I was fooled. Anaconda's pics make the coins colors appear genuine and gototoninghell's pics are always obviously AT. I am sure Anaconda's pics more properly represent the coin AND it is in an NGC holder.

In my opinion, Anaconda has NO fault here. They removed the coin as soon as they were notified it is most probably AT, even though it is in a MAJOR holder.

The real travesty is that gotoartificialtoning's coins are getting way too close if NGC is slabbing $10,000+ coins...could really shake the market values badly.

Doug

(p.s. Good Job Pat!! Thanks for watching out for everyone, Anaconda included).
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options

<< <i>

The real travesty is that gotoartificialtoning's coins are getting way too close if NGC is slabbing $10,000+ coins...could really shake the market values badly.

). >>

I wonder how many coins have gotten past NGC. Interesting.
    I love coins...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> What to be said now except somebody took a $55 AT Peace Dollar to NGC with a story and sold that story both to NGC and to the buyer. Sad. >>

I seriously doubt that NGC was given (or listened to) any story before they graded the coin.

I'd like to praise Brandon for how he has reacted to, what I am sure is a shocking set of facts. I doubt that most others would have handled the heat in such a pleasant , non-defensive and dignfied manner. Brandon, as far as I'm concerned, you owe no one any apologies - you are not the one who made up the story. >>

I agree with you Mark. Anaconda is handling this in a very professional manner. They should be commended. Perhaps they should send the coin into NGC with a copy of th ebay auction.
    Nick
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The real travesty is that gotoartificialtoning's coins are getting way too close if NGC is slabbing $10,000+ coins.. >>

NGC is not alone in that regard.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion, Anaconda has NO fault here. >>

I would agree. Brandon is handling this in a classey manner.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think you can go to a show and plop down a few hundred to have your coin inside a slab within an hour and get back a bodybag? Anybody think they'd get it back in a bodybag? >>

I've seen it happen many times to many people, including some of the largest and sharpest dealers in the business.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The real travesty is that gotoartificialtoning's coins are getting way too close if NGC is slabbing $10,000+ coins.. >>

Russ, NCNE >>

I wonder, if there will come a day when they won't grade these type of coins.
    I love coins...image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this coin was shown to PCGS at the show before NGC. The true details would be interesting. Thanks to poorguy and braddick for a very educational and informative thread-----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ,

I know they have gotton their cooked crap into ICG, Anacs, NGC and possibly PCGS (though I'm not sure)...but mostly for coins that sell for less than $500 slabbed, right? The $10,000+ single coin score makes it doubly scary for me! Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options

<< <i>I know they have gotton their cooked crap into ICG, Anacs, NGC and possibly PCGS >>

Yes, PCGS. It only sold for $2500, though. Of course it was a $20 modern commem.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I have a modern olympic commem dollar which I purchased from them which has almost exactly the same toning, just much brighter.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a modern olympic commem dollar which I purchased from them which has almost exactly the same toning, just much brighter. >>

Purchased from gototoningcoins?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a modern olympic commem dollar which I purchased from them which has almost exactly the same toning, just much brighter. >>

Purchased from gototoningcoins? >>

I believe so, them or one of the other ones like them on Ebay who are known for trying to pass AT coins as NT. I bought it as a novelty. Let me check my ebay feedback and see if I can find them.
  • Options
    I think it should be pointed out that a lot of the "Big Money" beginning to be thown at "monster" toned dollars (Morgans, not Peace) was from the recent Battle Creek Sales where there were some truly amazing colored Morgans also graded at NGC. And importantly, none these BC coins looked remotely like this one, they were taken from sealed Mint bags by NGC. The origin really is important--for example: if you buy a coin that was in the Amon Carter Collection, you get a coin you know got any pretty concentric album colors slowly and naturally from long term storage, NOT a week before it was sold on Ebay--image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I was curious how so many were fooled. GOTOTONING used to be TONEDCOIN2003 or somesuch thing on eBay and has been selling similarly "toned" coins for years.
  • Options

<< <i><< I have a modern olympic commem dollar which I purchased from them which has almost exactly the same toning, just much brighter. >>

Purchased from gototoningcoins? >> >>

I have several examples of this baker's work. Even sent one off to Stman so he'd jave a chance to see one in-hand.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Yep,

VERY FAST PAYMENT! PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH!!
    Seller gototoningcoins ( 971) Jan-08-05 22:25 3949935083

I never for a second considered that it might actually be NT.
  • Options

<< <i>I was curious how so many were fooled. GOTOTONING used to be TONEDCOIN2003 or somesuch thing >>

Before that he was Easyman168, and before that something else.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here is the link to the Anaconda 1923 toned $55 coin to a $12,500 coin!!

1923 $12,500 AT NGC
  • Options
    When an eBay store is named "Toning-Coins", as in the verb toning, or I was toning coins in my basement for fun, what can be expected?
    BicentenBen,

"I say we slab everything in sight, it's the only way to be sure."
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have several examples of this baker's work. Even sent one off to Stman so he'd jave a chance to see one in-hand. >>

Don't get me all sentimental now, Have I ever mentioned what that "thing" means to me? image All I can say is..... Thanks again Russ!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Here is a MS66* NGC California if anyone wants it--Text----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a MS66* NGC California if anyone wants it--Text----------------BigE >>

That one was just soaked or put in the oven in a dish of oil.
  • Options

<< <i>

I'd like to praise Brandon for how he has reacted to, what I am sure is a shocking set of facts. I doubt that most others would have handled the heat in such a pleasant , non-defensive and dignfied manner. Brandon, as far as I'm concerned, you owe no one any apologies - you are not the one who made up the story. >>

NGC is culpable whether they were given a story or not.
  • Options
    Maybe he does take out orders where "you can have it your own way" I don't knowimage--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    This telling NGC a story stuff is unlikely. It would require the graders being at the submission booth, or a story told to the people at the submission booth relaying the story to the graders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file