Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just got my results from my '6 free' submission. Questions for the vets

Okay, so after checking and re checking I finally get my submission results posted.

1 31480040 1954 TOPPS 112 BILL RENNA N/A 7
2 31480041 1978 TOPPS 20 PETE ROSE N/A 9
3 31480042 1975 TOPPS 616 ROOKIE OUTFIELDERS N/A 8
4 31480043 1985 O-PEE-CHEE 210 AL IAFRATE N/A 7
5 31480044 2002 BOWMAN CHROME 112 DALLAS McPHERSON DRAFT PICKS 9
6 31480045 1971 TOPPS 208 BILLY MARTIN N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored

Grades were somewhat a little lower than what I expected--I thought the Renna and Iafrate were 8's and the MacPherson I was hoping would've been a 10. Anyway a few questions:

I've seen some posts about the dreaded '314'--are there any truths to these rumors about 314 being the harsh graders?

I was surprised the Martin got a 'recolored' disqualification--I used a 10X loupe on these cards and didn't see anything. PSA doesn't inform you when they send back why or where they deemed it recolored, do they?

Also, the Martin came off of Ebay--is this a common problem with '71s from Ebay?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Paul
Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Also, the Martin came off of Ebay--is this a common problem with '71s from Ebay?

Somewhat of a problem.

looks like you did pretty good overall though.

as for the 9 that you thought was a 10. could have been a 10 any other day. 9 aint to shappy though.

good job IMO

btw Bill Renna is a distant cousin of mine.
    Good for you.
  • I, for one, believe that 313 & 314 grade tougher than what seems reasonable. Is there any proof? - no, it's all subjective. Also, they will give you no clue as to why a card was not holdered. It pays to resubmit it at some point. Usually it's just one grader's opinion.

BTW, nice 9 on the Rose!
    << image >>
  • I had one come back recolored, they indicated where it was touched up. They were right
  • Nice grades overall, Paul. My first submission in 2004 had 3 1971 Topps come back as recolored. IMO, the key is to look at the edges. The black marker used to re-color will generally bleed onto the edges. Good luck on your future grades.

Robert