Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Orleans mint--article from LA newspaper (2/13/1861)

I thought ya'll might find this interesting. While doing research for a paper in one of my seminar classes, I ran across this article. It comes from the February 13, 1861 issue of the Shreveport Daily News:

"The Mint at New Orleans"--The Delta of the 1st instant says, a committee detailed by the State convention, waited on the officers of the mint of that city the day previous, and informally took possession of the buildings. To-day (the 1st) the officers of the mint will appear in the convention, take the oath of allegiance to this State, and resume thier official functions, and the working of the mint will go on as usual. The intention of the convention to take this course was known to us several days ago, but until it was acted on in secret session and became a public act, we deemed it proper to withold any remarks on it. We make the above statement with a view to correct abusrd rumors regarding the mint, that were flying about the city last night.
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what those "absurd rumors" were?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what those "absurd rumors" were? >>

One of the rumors was that rainbow toned coins carried substantial premiums. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "I wonder what those "absurd rumors" were?"

Look at the date. The rumors were that the State of Louisiana was taking over the Mint from the Union, and operating it under the Confederacy.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...yep... 2 months prior to the attack on Ft Sumter
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file