Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HELP--how should i sell a trimmed Ruth card?

I recently received back from PSA a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth card (#144) that PSA refused to grade and holder due to evidence of trimming. I've measured the card and looked at it under a magnifying glass and find no problem with it. How should I best sell it? Just list it on eBay, describe the problem, and hope for the best? The card has no creases and decent corners. It would have probably been a PSA 5 if not for undetected trimming. Any suggestions on what to do?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    With a card like that I think I would send it in again. Sometimes it seems that PSA can be a little too careful about suspected trimming. If it comes back again trimmed, then I would go ahead and list it, being sure to describe that it was determined to be trimmed by PSA. Honesty in a description is always the best way to go.

Also - can you post a scan?
    << image >>
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't stop with PSA. I would send it to all of the big 3. Sometimes one graders opinion is not the same as anothers. If all 3 reject it then list it as trimmed. iIve read many stories here and on VBC54 about re entries that were accepted. Good luck with it. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Honesty is the best policy, but it will end up a PRO-9 none the less.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I think at least one of the other companies will TELL YOU where they detect the trimming. Maybe SGC? That way, at least you would know what to look for and where. With PSA, they just take your fees and send it back. It would be nice if they could at least indicate where they feel the trimming is located.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think at least one of the other companies will TELL YOU where they detect the trimming. Maybe SGC? That way, at least you would know what to look for and where. With PSA, they just take your fees and send it back. It would be nice if they could at least indicate where they feel the trimming is located. >>

I could not ever understand why PSA does not give you an indication of why they think it was trimmed or where.

Stingay
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think at least one of the other companies will TELL YOU where they detect the trimming. Maybe SGC? That way, at least you would know what to look for and where. With PSA, they just take your fees and send it back. It would be nice if they could at least indicate where they feel the trimming is located. >>

I could not ever understand why PSA does not give you an indication of why they think it was trimmed or where.

Stingay >>

I disagree you with 100%. I don't understand why it's PSA's job to tell you where a card is trimmed. The fact that they say it's trimmed should be more than enough. If a doctor told you that you had testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor?

What you're asking undermines the authority of PSA and I don't think we need that sort of talk around here. In a time where the card trimmers and restorers are a constant thread to the security of collectors, we need to stand by PSA and its principles of keeping the hobby safe.

I don't know about you, but I support our graders 100% image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    No knock on PSA but it seems that SGC is usually the preferred grader for Pre-War cards such as this.

As for the dimensions and whether or not it's been trimmed, it's either is the right size or it's not. You need to double check your dimensions, ruler, and card then honestly confirm it for yourself.
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't PSA offer a service where they'll grade the card as "authentic" and slab it even though it's trimmed? Maybe you should go that route.

If you think it's not trimmed, I would definitely resubmit to PSA and/or SGC.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Stingay >>

I disagree you with 100%. I don't understand why it's PSA's job to tell you where a card is trimmed. The fact that they say it's trimmed should be more than enough. If a doctor told you that you had liver testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor?

What you're asking undermines the authority of PSA and I don't think we need that sort of talk around here. In a time where the card trimmers and restorers are a constant thread to the security of collectors, we need to stand by PSA and its principles of keeping the hobby safe.

I don't know about you, but I support our graders 100% image >>

I'd have to honestly say I'd for sure ask which nut has the tumor, am I alone in this thinking ? lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Stingay >>

I disagree you with 100%. I don't understand why it's PSA's job to tell you where a card is trimmed. The fact that they say it's trimmed should be more than enough. If a doctor told you that you had testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor?

I don't know about you, but I support our graders 100% image >>

I don't see how asking where the trimming was done undermines the authority of PSA in any way. If the implication of wondering is "prove it", then, perhaps, I could see it. Where it is genuine curiosity, however, perhaps coupled with a want to become better at pre-grading, what is the problem?

Also:
    What about ones coming back as altered? I mean, don't you want to know what is wrong with YOUR card, for which you paid $$$ to find out that it was altered?

Edit: Oh, and if you had cancer? 10 to 1, you'd get MRIs or whatnot which would show where the cancer was.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Being diagnosed with testicular cancer and finding out a 1933 Goudey Ruth has been rejected as trimmed both require second, and possibly third opinions.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't stop with PSA. I would send it to all of the big 3. Sometimes one graders opinion is not the same as anothers. If all 3 reject it then list it as trimmed. iIve read many stories here and on VBC54 about re entries that were accepted. Good luck with it. Joe >>

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    If I'm going to lose a nut you better be believing I want to know which one.
  • Options
    I think the advice concerning a 2nd or 3rd opinion is right on. If it turns out to be trimmed, then I think your best route would be to get it into an "authentic" holder -- I think PSA, SGC and GAI would all do that for the card you are talking about.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just cracked out a PSA 7 1963 Topps common and resubmitted it with a bunch of other 63's because it appeared NM/MT to me. It came back as EVID TRIM.

So, do not believe that PSA doesn't make mistakes - either they were wrong about my card the first time or the second time. Makes no difference - you only need them to be "right" once. Regrade that Ruth!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> If a doctor told you that you had testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor? >>

Matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a doctor told you that you had testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor? >>

DaBig

Sometimes your analogies get you into trouble.

There's a thin line between insulting authority and being a good consumer and asking the right questions.

And, BTW, you BETTER ask which nut cause they may take the WRONG one out!!!

Mike
  • Options
    judgebuck

Welcome!

Have ya got a scan of the card and exact measurement to 1/32"?

I'm with those who believe it wouldn't be a bad idea to resub and/or try SGC or GAI?

A 5 would be worth some good coin.

Also, if you don't mind, where did you pick the card up?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps now we know why he goes by Da Big Hurt? Ouch. image
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps now we know why he goes by Da Big Hurt? Ouch. image >>

Mike
  • Options
    DBH,

That was one of the funniest posts I've read on here.

Note to other forum members: He is being sarcastic, and he's got it down to a fine art!!
  • Options

<< <i>If a doctor told you that you had testicular cancer, do you ask him which nut has the tumor? >>

I'm busting a nut holding back the laughter with this analogy....kudos DBH.....

edited to add: DBH, you might want to do a self exam and start checking slabs for lumps.
  • Options

<< <i>DBH,

That was one of the funniest posts I've read on here.

Note to other forum members: He is being sarcastic, and he's got it down to a fine art!! >>

Really?

Mike
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I bought the card approximately 12-15 years ago from Bill Mastro of Mastronet fame late one Sunday afternoon near the end of a show. I think I paid $800 for it, with the sticker on it saying $1750. I remember asking him the grade, and he said "VG/EX". I'm not sure how to scan here, but if I figure it out and get my card back out of the lockbox, I'll scan it. judgebuck

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

WELL HELL YEAH!!!!!! That is the dumbest response I have ever read...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You can try submitting to other grading companies, or, alternatively - I am sure that most of the auction houses would be willing to sell the card to you, raw, too. [or they may have better success getting the card in a holder, if it does, in fact, measure correctly].

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Da big hurt= the big dumb. Worst analogy I have ever heard of.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    At this point in my life i would give a nut for a Ruth card. Trimmed or not.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    That's the best analogy I have ever heard. I would probably give two nuts for NM Ruth.
  • Options
    Send it in to Psa and have the card encapsulated as "Authentic". The card will still sell for pretty good money if you choose to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>Send it in to Psa and have the card encapsulated as "Authentic". The card will still sell for pretty good money if you choose to sell. >>

first I would try and get it slabbed in a SGC or GAI grade (as high as you can get) and sell

the authentic thing just screams "trimmed and second rate"

• Options

<< <i>No knock on PSA but it seems that SGC is usually the preferred grader for Pre-War cards such as this.
    >>

That may be true for some pre-war issues, but it is not the case for any of the Goudey sets. Just compare the population reports in the Goudey cards, PSA is dominant. But PSA is not nearly as dominant in other pre-war sets (caramel cards for instance).

For the goal of selling a card, you would only grade with SGC or GAI if they were willing to give the card a higher grade than PSA. With GAI, they'll usually bump it higher because they are more lax (my opinion only of course). But if you have a PSA 8 quality card, and it can be in a PSA 8 holder, you'd be dumb to leave it in a SGC 88 or GAI 8 holder when selling it. Even a GAI 8.5 wouldn't go for as much as a PSA 8 typically.

So bottomline for the original poster - if you want to sell it, try again with PSA. Then go with SGC. If they both say it is trimmed (PSA for a second time), then get it graded as Authentic with SGC and then sell it.
  • Options
    I really like the Ruth card...

But I don't know if I'm willing to give up the family jewels for a "gem?"

Mike
  • Options
    All you people pushing SGC better watch out!

Blasphemy I say!

(I'll go back to packaging this sub to Parsippany now)
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I will post a scan when I get back from a business trip and get the card from my bank lockbox. Also, I'll carefully re-measure. And, you're right. Honesty is the best policy when it comes time for me to sell.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Get another opinion from one of the Top three graders ONLY.SCG or GAI only then if one of them sez its trimmed then its trimmed.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)