Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

It pays to be nice department

In December I underwent knee replacement surgery and I roomed with another guy, who was a sports fan. We talked about the Red Sox and the Patriots and I told him that I collected cards and my hope was that the surgery would coincide with the release of the 2006 Topps Heritage set. I said putting cases together would be fun while I was home recuperating. But that didn't happen, of course.

He told me that years ago he collected cards, but that he got away from it the last 10 years or so. He said he didn't like the new designs and that he favored vintage sets.

I told him how great the 2005 Topps Heritage cards were and that he should pick up some to take a look.

When we left the hospital, we traded addresses and said we'd get together later, one of those exchanges where you lose the address and never see them again.

Well, about a month ago I found his address in some papers I brought home from the hospital. I had a base set of 2005 Topps Heritage that I really didn't have a need for and I didn't want to put on EBay. So, I mailed it to him. I said it was a gift, that he might want to get back into the hobby and I left it like that.

Today, in the mail, was a package with a nice note saying thanks for the Heritage cards. He really enjoyed them.

In the box was a bunch of cards.

It included

1958 Topps Al Worthington PSA 8

1957 Topps Jack Harshman PSA 6

1956 Topps Ron Negray, PSA 6

There were 12 other ExMINT 1956 cards that included Rance Pless, Chuck Harmon, Elmer Valo, Warren Giles, Al Dark, Vinger Bend Mizell, Ray Boone, Carlos Paula Virgil Trucks, Gene Freese, Gene Conley and Ernie Oravetz

There were 6 other ExMINT 1957 TOpps that included Jack Crimian, Ed Fitzgerald, Karl Olson, Mike Fornieles, Jackie Collum, and Billy Hunter

Plus four unopened packs (1990 Bomwan, 1990 DOnruss, 1982 Fleer and1990 Topps)

A bunch of golf and basketball cards, the 1988 Topps Traded set, some 1974 cards and some 40th Topps anniversary clubs and a much of other stuff.

Now I got to figure what to do with it.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pharber is one of the good guys...

He is definitely a generous guy!

Nice story.
    mike
    Mike