Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Hawaii State Quarter

I hope the Governor doesn't pick something cheezy like diamond head and palm trees
or a hula girl. That's really gonna piss me offffffffff.

news release

Comments

• Options
    Of course she will. It's the way of the State Quarter™ image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Mmmmmm.... hula girls....
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the invited committee members. How does a group of people like that compromise on anything other than the most obvious subjects -- Diamond Head, Aloha Tower, the humuhumu..., etc.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Picture of Don Ho and Japanese writing since they own the island
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if a numismatist would actually get on to one of these decision boards for a change.
  • Options

<< <i>Take a look at the invited committee members. How does a group of people like that compromise on anything other than the most obvious subjects -- Diamond Head, Aloha Tower, the humuhumu..., etc. >>

Yep, I was concerned about that as well-- too many clueless people on the committee.

It sucks, man. I just know they're gonna screw this up with some kind of lame consensus.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll probably end up being an image of a Japanese tourist, red Ferrari and a surfboard.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm far more concerned that they changed the spelling of Hawaii.

How good a job can they do on the design?

I suppose the postal code is now changing to H'I.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it spelled now?
  • Options
    They can put an image of one of the K-bars down on Ke'eamoku Street. image
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Anything is better than "Dog" Chapman and wife Beth. They act like saviors of Hawaii.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>I'm far more concerned that they changed the spelling of Hawaii.
    >>

Dude, that's actually the correct way to spell it, with the accent mark (called an 'okina').

The mainstream, non-ethnic way to spell it is without the accent mark.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

Dude, that's actually the correct way to spell it, with the accent mark (called an 'okina').

The mainstream, non-ethnic way to spell it is without the accent mark. >>

There is no such thing as an "okina" in the English language.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

The mainstream, non-ethnic way to spell it is without the accent mark. >>

There is no such thing as an "okina" in the English language. >>

Okay, then I'm wrong. I've only lived here since the day I was born.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no such thing as an "okina" in the English language. >>

Placenames are often sticky business when it comes to "translating" them to regular English. Hawaii vs Hawai`i is a fairly mild case. Stickier wickets come when a country like India decides that the correct name for Bombay is really Mumbai, or when the Ivory Coast insists that only the French form of its name (Côte d'Ivoire) be used in all languages.

My opinion is that as long as the name is rendered using the Latin alphabet (including accents and other letter modifiers), it should be spelled as the residents of that location spell it. So, go with Hawai`i with the okina.
  • Options
    How about a picture of a wife stealing Somoan?
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest an image of that big pipe wave from the opening of Hawaii 5-0 with some dude hangin 10 off his board dude!
  • Options

<< <i>

Placenames are often sticky business when it comes to "translating" them to regular English. Hawaii vs Hawai`i is a fairly mild case. Stickier wickets come when a country like India decides that the correct name for Bombay is really Mumbai, or when the Ivory Coast insists that only the French form of its name (Côte d'Ivoire) be used in all languages.

My opinion is that as long as the name is rendered using the Latin alphabet (including accents and other letter modifiers), it should be spelled as the residents of that location spell it. So, go with Hawai`i with the okina. >>

Wait until you see the correct spelling for Illinois. Some of the sounds don't even appear in the
    English language. But just like the Hawaian language, there was no written form so there were
    no letters and no "okina". We are now expected to change place names every time someone de-
    cides he's tired with the current one?!? So which is it this week? Peking? Beijing? Peiping? Peping?
    or one of the other names that the Chinese suggest is the correct pronunciation.

The simple fact is that Hawaii has been the English name for this state since it was discovered and
    named by Cook. If he named it poorly or translated the word poorly then that is another thing, but
    just as Illinois doesn't need to be changed to an invented or foreign language nor does Hawaii.

There is an English word for the capital of China but you'll have some trouble getting two people to
    agree on it. It's small wonder Americans have so little knowledge of geography. It's unlikely you'll
    find other languages where they change such things for such spurious reasons.

I have to apologize for bringing this up since it is truly OT. Fortunately the name of the state is part
    of the design which isn't left up to the individual states or the current political winds or spellings.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pineapple and a bottle of rum.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>A pineapple and a bottle of rum......... >>

Actually, a marijuana leaf wouldn't be such a bad idea.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

My opinion is that as long as the name is rendered using the Latin alphabet (including accents and other letter modifiers), it should be spelled as the residents of that location spell it. So, go with Hawai`i with the okina. >>

Wait until you see the correct spelling for Illinois. Some of the sounds don't even appear in the
    English language. But just like the Hawaian language, there was no written form so there were
    no letters and no "okina". We are now expected to change place names every time someone de-
    cides he's tired with the current one?!? So which is it this week? Peking? Beijing? Peiping? Peping?
    or one of the other names that the Chinese suggest is the correct pronunciation.

The simple fact is that Hawaii has been the English name for this state since it was discovered and
    named by Cook. If he named it poorly or translated the word poorly then that is another thing, but
    just as Illinois doesn't need to be changed to an invented or foreign language nor does Hawaii.

There is an English word for the capital of China but you'll have some trouble getting two people to
    agree on it. It's small wonder Americans have so little knowledge of geography. It's unlikely you'll
    find other languages where they change such things for such spurious reasons.

I have to apologize for bringing this up since it is truly OT. Fortunately the name of the state is part
    of the design which isn't left up to the individual states or the current political winds or spellings. >>

Dude, let it die already. They're not gonna put the okina on the quarter so don't worry about it.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duke Kahanamoku would be nice...
    ANA LM
  • Options
    You just KNOW Diamond Head will be somewhere in the design.

As a former Hawai'i resident (A'iea), I'm looking forward to the quarter.
  • Options

<< <i>You just KNOW Diamond Head will be somewhere in the design.
    >>

DH is overrated. I really hope they have the common sense to avoid touristy icons.
  • Options
    Punchbowl could make for a neat design and a fitting tribute to the veterans.

My guess is that because all of the islands will likely be represented on the board, and no one is going to want to feel excluded, we may get another map design. Personally the map of the state adds nothing for me. I know what Texas looks like -- I don't need to see it on the quarter. I hope HI does not make that mistake.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Pearl Harbor or the Arizona Memorial yet ?
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options

<< <i>Wait until you see the correct spelling for Illinois. >>

I'm curious -- can you show me?

<< <i>So which is it this week? Peking? Beijing? Peiping?Peping? >>

The government of China has endorsed pinyin as the "official" romanization, which makes it Beijing.

<< <i>The simple fact is that Hawaii has been the English name for this state since it was discovered and named by Cook. If he named it poorly or translated the word poorly then that is another thing, but just as Illinois doesn't need to be changed to an invented or foreign language nor does Hawaii. >>

Because it was wrong in the past means that it should be wrong for all time?

<< <i>I have to apologize for bringing this up since it is truly OT. Fortunately the name of the state is part of the design which isn't left up to the individual states or the current political winds or spellings. >>

What's the name of the city where the Winter Olympics are currently being held? Hint:

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to mention Pearl Harbor in my previous post but I think it would be difficult to convey on a quarter without taking up the whole reverse. Also although it is an important part of the history of the islands it is more modern and not sure how to say this without coming across as insensitive (my uncle was killed on the Arizona) to history and the importance of the event, but it does not convey what the islands are really about IMO.

I would like to see something with a Polynesian influence so commemorate the original inhabitants and the history of the islands.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>

I would like to see something with a Polynesian influence so commemorate the original inhabitants and the history of the islands.

>>

Bingo.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm MORE concerned that the people on the Commission are "pending confirmation and background clearance".......
    I didn't realize the selection of a state quarter design had to pass muster with Geo W. & Dick Cheyney's "security police"! What are these folks going to do - - slip some secret code to Al Quaida into the design, or issue a coin with a detailed blueprint of a sensitive high-security nuclear plant's vulnerabilities?imageimage
  • Options
    Whatever they make, it's not going to top this:

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope the Governor doesn't pick something cheezy like diamond head and palm trees
    or a hula girl. That's really gonna piss me offffffffff.

news release >>

We're talking state quarters here, so you won't get off so easy.

You'll probably get Duke Kahanamoku riding a wave while hula dancers standing on a palm tree lined beach holding pineapples look on (Diamond Head will be in the background with a banner reading "Remember Pearl Harbor"). You'll also see McGarrett on the side in a big Mercury sedan parked in front of the Iolani Palace.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>Picture of Don Ho and Japanese writing since they own the island >>

Yeah pretty much. Talk about being surprised on my visit to Hawaii.

Beautiful place though. Hopefully they'll pick a design to capture that.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    That statue from the Punchbowl cemetary memorial, briefly glimpsed in the opening of Hawaii 5-0, would be nice.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I think they'll pick something significant to Hawaii, but more importantly, recognizable to the general population...which is why I think Diamond Head is inevitable.

Maybe a do up of the Kamehameha I statue outside Iolani Palace

Book 'em Dan-O
  • Options
    No one suggested Villi yet, the UH Warrior mascot. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

<< <i>the UH Warrior mascot >>

I long for the good old days when they were the Rainbow Warriors....GO BOWS !!
  • Options
    I think that Ku would be appropriate. Or Pele...
    HI is my state of birth as well, for what its worth.
    Don
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>You just KNOW Diamond Head will be somewhere in the design.

As a former Hawai'i resident (A'iea), I'm looking forward to the quarter. >>

is diamond head where bobby brady found his lucky tiki? maybe
    they can do a brady vacation reverse, I suggest ann b. davis doing the hula
    wearing the tiki

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Kaua'i student sought for coin design >>

I saw that as well. Not to pick on this reporter, but he is another example of someone too incompetent to fact check.
    "Other states have included such iconic images as Elvis, on Tennessee's coin and John Muir on California's."
    If he's seeing elvis on the TN quarter-he needs to put down the pakalolo!
    Don

• Options
    You know Don ho has a brother, his name is _zz ho,well you get what I mean.
  • Options
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry I do not recognize Hawaii as a US state...

IMHO it is an independent foreign country that the US stole by hook and crook....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    4. Diamond Head, hula dancer, lei and surfing

Let's see....what produces a very large percentage of Hawai'i's income? Tourism....

And what sticks in the tourist's head? Hula dancers, surfing, leis and Diamond Head.

Ergo....there's your state quarter.

Unfortunately, I might add. Any of the others would be better.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawaii already had a quarter. I say bring it back:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Hawaii already had a quarter. I say bring it back:
    >>

Wow, that's awesome. How much do you want for it?
  • Options
    I feel this quarter should have 1 of its design options that remembers pacific war (pearl Harbor).
  • Options

<< <i>update >>

I like the one with the state motto.....
    TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file