Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How i show my cards instead of boxes !!

Here are a few pics of how i show my cards. The pics don't do them justice. The trim is done in chrome to match my drop ceiling which is also done in chrome.
The plan is to cover everwall in my basement,
Steve
Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!

Comments

• Options
    Very cool !

I have a finished basement as well where i keep all of my sports stuff. I have one question though about your wall of cards. How dificult is it to take out say a card from the middle of the display? Do you have to slide out all of the cards just to get to one in the middle ?

Dave
  • Options
    Very nice!

Do you ever worry about theft or a fire though? That's why I'm hesitant to display my collection.

Jeff
    And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Man that is sweet ! Are those just strips of chrome ? How much are they ? Makes me wish I had a basement.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool ez

That's a great place to display that many cards. Some have talked about light affecting the cards...but I think that's a minor issue - especially in the basement.

You've got plenty of room to expand too...as long as the river don't rise! image

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Very cool! I hope your home is alarmed, however.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Very nice!

Do you ever worry about theft or a fire though? That's why I'm hesitant to display my collection.

Jeff >>

My thoughts exactly. I would love to do something like this, but doubt I ever would for the above reasons. Thanks for sharing, though!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Very cool!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I can't stand it!

I need another room to do that!

Darn, I guess I'll just have to move into a bigger home?

3 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths, Family Room, Den, and My Sportscard Room! Cool! image

rbd

edit: Steve, I think your set-up is really neat!
  • Options
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    I've also thought about doing the same thing, but in wood trim. Is your background wall pink?? Just looks like
    that color on my computer. Just wondering.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    You're obviously:
    A. Not married.
    B. Married to a saint. image
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive indeed. I'm a big believer in getting those cards out where they can be enjoyed.
    I'm a bit concerned about the electroradiological effect of the cards in such close proximity to the TV. I would like to humbly suggest you send all those cards to me for inspection. image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Looks very cool. Are your walls pink?
    Tonya
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I love the empty spots waiting for new acquisitions. Definitely a nicer way to see a collection grow than filling up card boxes.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Sweet Stuff!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Way to go displaying your cards.

We're only here for so long, can't take them with you. May as well enjoy them.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great display. My den lets in too much light. I'm too worried about sunlight on them over the years or I would display some. I spread out about 30 cards on a table take pics and display them as wallpaper. I see them every time I sit down at my desk.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Looks really nice but I'd have concerns. First off , I'd hate to have to dust all those suckers. Then I'd worry about over time light fading the color on them, and Lord forbid if your sump pump ever went on the blink, I guess they're slabbed but still, my sump pump has went out in my basement before and before you know it there is six inches of water, not good for a card collection especially one of the value you have there. I'd sure be showing it to my insurance man, I'd think you would need a hefty policy on the side for your cards, wouldn't think your regular home owners would cover that, thats got to be the most expensive wallpaper in the world lol

But it looks great, I'm a worry wart, in all my years I've come to realize if anything bad can happen it probably will.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    sweet!
    Bob
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great comments, i'll try to answer some of the questions.
    Yes i'm married with children.
    No, the walls are not pink.
    Yes you can take each card out individually.Have to lift up, pull bottom out and then go down with card.
    How this was done?
    Found 7/16 X 7/16 square wood at Rona fo 3.99 for a 8 foot lenght
    Found 1/8 X 3/4 X 8 feet long chrome trim at Home Depot for 6.79
    Took 2 days with 1 friend helping.
    Had to find the studs in the wall, drill and countersink for every screw otherwise the wood would crack.
    Drill and countersink all the chrome trim that got mounted to the wood.
    Capped it off at the end with a chrome piece of angle iron.
    Cost? under 350.00 dollars Remember this is Canadian since i live in Canada
    How many cards? Just that display on that 1 wall holds 632 cards and half of them are tall boys !
    Basically i divided the basement in half and told the wife this is my space to do with what i want, honestly !!
    House is just over 3700 sq feet and my half of the basement is just over 800 sq feet.
    Bar, computer center, autographs,cards, pool table, fireplace, 2 Tv's in 2 of the corners, etc.. Basically the entertainment room
    Well the pool table i don't have yet but it's coming, LOL
    Anyways i would like to see more display's from other members which they built themselve's
    You don't have to go chrome trim, they have differnt woods available as well.
    I almost forgot, i have 2 alarm systems. One which the builder installed and a second i installed which would wake up the block if it goes off!!
    Yes i have insurance. As for theft, well if i had the cards in boxes and they got past my alarm systems then that would make it much easier and faster for them to get away !!! This way they would have to spend the time packing the cards up !! LOL
    If you want to do something similiar don't hesitate to e-mail me, who knows maybe you can come up with something better !!
    Thanks Steve ezyshooter@sympatico.ca
    Again thanks for all the great comments !!
  • Options
    Here are some pics of my ceiling tile i did at work. I've done Toronto (obviously), Detroit for a friend, and i am currently doing nascar for a friend. This is actually cut right into the tile.
    Again the pics don't do it justice. My tracking for the ceiling tile is also chrome.
    Steve