Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading '70s Commons . . .

Recently I purchased two '79 vending boxes and 10 '74 cellos. I cherry-picked those I believed to have a shot at 9, maybe 10.

Some of the '74s have slight tilts and/or centering issues.

Question: Would it be worth my time and/or money to grade these commons via the $5 special?

Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could help, my opinion is that 74s do not have a big following and with tilts it might be even harder to sell them. IMO, it can really distract from those 74s. As for 79s I do not have any clue as to there popularity, but if you get any 8s it will not be worth it.

Stingray
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    ...I do not think 79's have a big following either...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I'm sorry, 10 '75 cellos . . . Not 74s.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Probably worth it on the 1975s if you only send in strong candidates for 9s, or study sales records very closely for high-priced 8s.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Meathook, do you have a 79 Stargell that could grade an 8 or better? Been looking for one for a while.

TB
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is a whole different ball game, 75s will do pretty decent in 8s, 9s and common 10s will be around $125++ last time I looked.

Stingray
  • Options
    Splinter:

I'll check on the Stargell.

Got a nice 75 I'm sending to PSA.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I am one of the few nuts who is working on the 79 set graded, and I can tell you, the following for this set is somewhat smaller than other 70's sets (like 75 or 78). It is also a tough set to grade, as I have sent in numerous 79's that I thought were 9/10 candidates, only to get back more 8's and 9OC's than I figured possible. Even 9's, unless they are low pop, might barely bring grading fees - and 10's occasionally break the $20-$25 range if you are lucky.

Bottom line, grade them, cause I wanna buy them! But, if I have discouraged you enough, I might be interested in buying them from you raw, if they are as nice as you say. Vending doesn't always produce great results with this set, IMO.