Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does anyone remember these ?

I just came across these in one of my boxes of stuff. It looks like a set that Topps put out in 1980. The set contained 60 cards and they measured 5X7

I remember having the whole set stuck to my wall as a kid lol . Really brought back some memories

Instead of posting the Sixto Lezcano and Roy Smalley i thought you'd rather see these. Sorry the scans aren't the best, i was having a little trouble with them

Comments

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I got some of those.. stone sent me a couple of mets couple years back i still have them also. once again thanks mike image

heres carter and hernandez

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...

There are 2 variations gray back and white back.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    1980 Topps Super.
    I never had the set, but I do have 5 cards from that set on my player collections wantlist.
    Did you thumbtack them to the wall? (Like I use to do to my early-mid 1970's football cardsimage--I had to re-buy all my favorite cards from my youth)
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1980 Topps Super.
    I never had the set, but I do have 5 cards from that set on my player collections wantlist.
    Did you thumbtack them to the wall? (Like I use to do to my early-mid 1970's football cardsimage--I had to re-buy all my favorite cards from my youth) >>

Akbar

This is your lucky day - I will be glad to provide you with the cards you need!

Mike
  • Akbar,

no thumbtacks for me, scotch tape worked just fine image

Dave
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont remember them. They look really cool! Does psa have a suitable sized holder?

Matt
  • Funny how these just popped up. I had an opportunity 2 weeks ago to meet five of the "Black Aces". These are African-American pitchers who won 20 or more games a season. I had J.R. Richard and Vida Blue sign my cards. I remember buying them one at a time from McCrory's(?) in Tallahassee, Florida. Cool cards.
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont remember them. They look really cool! Does psa have a suitable sized holder?

Matt >>

Matt

These suckers measure 4 7/8 X 6 7/8" - that's pretty big - I would imagine they could "baggie" them into the T3 holder - but that's a 35$ submission - unless a guy was really into the set, that would not be worth the grading fee IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Matt

These suckers measure 4 7/8 X 6 7/8" - that's pretty big - I would imagine they could "baggie" them into the T3 holder - but that's a 35$ submission - unless a guy was really into the set, that would not be worth the grading fee IMO.

mike >>

$35.00? Wow.. I think I would stick with the thumbtacks!

Matt
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I bought 10 boxes of gray backs about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think I paid more than $3.00 per box, and I feel I paid what they were worth. They're probably STILL worth $3.00 per box.

Big cards like these don't seem to be very popular. I also remember buying some '84 and '85 Topps super-size cards back when they were new. Those were giant-sized version of the regular issue. I haven't seen much of them on Ebay, which probably means they are even less popular than the 1980 supers.

But I like them.
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I bought a couple of those last year including a Schmidt that was absolutely flawless that I thought about getting slabbed, but I left it on my bookshelf and it got dinged up and dusty. Nice overlooked set.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I still have a Jim Rice one.