Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

total glossy card Destruction...

Last night, while digging through an old box of cards, I found my 1994 Tombstone Pizza baseball set. 33 (?) cards, still sealed in the plastic that they came shipped in (I think I sent in some proofs-of-purchases and a little money to get the set back in 1994). Through the years, I guess, the glossy coating turned into glue, and turned my nice set of 33 cards into a solid brick of cardboard and gloss. :-( I attempted to dislodge the cards, only to find that sure enough, the cards were glued together and couldn't be seperated w/o damaging the cards. They weren't like that when I first got them, so my guess was that through the years, they fused. Foolish me to think that keeping something unopened would preserve it's value!

Anyways, has anyone ever encountered problems like this with unopened, early 90s Stadium Club boxes? I know that Stadium Club cards have gloss on both sides of the cards (like the Tombstone cards), and they're usually wrapped pretty tight in those packs.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    I've got bricks of 97 Pinnacle I was thinking of building a fireplace with.....
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yep.. ive had it happen with some cards.. 1995 playoff football in particular, a whole 3200ct box was stuck together...
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happend with my 2000 Topps Finest set. If the fronts and backs of the cards dont get damaged from separating them, the edges do from prying them apart.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    You ever wonder what will happen to some of these "modern marvel" type of cards over the years? I have had a lot of different issues stick together, but they usually can be pulled apart with some effort. I had a bunch of 2000 EX that the fol front and back is peeling off-the cards are all just falling apart. I saw a PSA 10 Carter Chrome RC when it was like $800 that the whole front was bubbled up. I have often wondered about the effects of not peeling finest cards, if they will become inseperable over time.
  • Options
    That happened to me with some 91 Stadium clubs. Stick em in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour then try bending them like you would if you where going to shuffle a deck of cards. That did the trick for me and only a few got damged but most came apart easily.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got bricks of 97 Pinnacle I was thinking of building a fireplace with..... >>

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    digi

Where were the cards stored?

mike
    Mike