Home Metal Detecting
Options

Guess That Crusty! = we have a winner...

> CONTEST IS CLOSED
> COIN HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED
> WINNER ANNOUNCED in my 3rd post below...
> PICTURES have been provided too

It happened again today... found a "crusty" in an old area.

So, I thought I'd share it with all of you by providing a new Collectors Universe MD forum contest:

image Hey Kids! Guess That Crusty! image
haha

I got out during lunch today and hit the "Graveyard" demo mentioned in my previous post.
Today I left there with one lonely, ugly coin... again, but this time it's a copper, and I don't know what it is yet. I thought I'd take everyone along for the ride this time so you could watch the conserving/cleaning process take place. Let's see if anyone can guess what this crusty coin is before it's all cleaned up. Again, see the previous post to get an idea about this site and how the last coin cleaned up.

Just for fun, reply to this post and provide your guess of type and year. (winner will receive an on-line award... nothing major since it's really just for fun) One guess per member please.
Update!: Contest is over. Details mentioned below...

Here she is (ain't she ugly?!)

Here are some additional clues:
> Other coins this site has yielded = seateds, Chinese cash coins, v's, IH's, wheatbacks, mercs, buffs (1850's - 1950's)
> This coin appears to be the size of a cent
> Appears to be copper
> Read on my XLT a solid +60 VDI

OK. Let the game begin. This coin is now soaking. I'll reply back again tomorrow with an update...

Rick image

Comments

• Options
    1898 cent :-)
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    1876 Cent
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    1902 cent
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    1908 Indian Head cent image

Great contest!!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, goodie. image

I think I will jump on the IHC bandwagon and guess... an 1882 Indian cent?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

> CONTEST IS CLOSED
    > COIN HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED
    > WINNER ANNOUNCED in my next post below...
    > PICTURES have been provided too
  • Options
    Well, I didn't have even a fraction of the success that I had with the Barber dime last month. The copper coin in this "crusty" shell sure didn't hold up...

As part of the shell started to break away, I could start to see that it did not have the features of an Indian Head cent. If you look closely at the top of this coin, you can barely see my first clue...

Soaking it in eZest, chipping away the shell, and then scrubbing with a copper wire brush (ouch!) finally revealed our surprise date and type of coin...
    A 1938-s wheatback cent! whoo-hoo!!! image

I had hoped along with the rest of you that this one would be an Indian Head cent and I was actually surprised that it wasn't. With a VDI reading from the XLT of +60, those are typically an IHC or a modern zinc memorial cent (but the zinc would not have been preserved in a crusty shell like this one... it was have wasted away).

So, congrats to Zot. He is the winner of our first GTC (guess that crusty) contest! His guess of 1908 was the closest to this coin. Here is your award:

Thanks to everyone for playing.... made it more interesting and fun to share with you all.

HH, Rick
  • Options
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    haha... you got me to laugh out loud here Rob!
    (now my wife has confirmed that I'm nuts!)
  • Options
    Well, sorry that ol' Krusty there was a wee bit of a letdown.

No doubt you remember my recent Crusty Critter. I thought it was a button at first. When it proved to be a coin, I was all amped up, thinking it was gonna be a breakthrough for me (my first half cent or two-cent piece). It turned out to be a surprise- not what I expected at all. In retrospect, the whole mystery was kind of fun, though. Ditto for yours, there. The mystery is kind of fun. image

Fortunately, our soil is usually pretty kind to buried coins, and we don't usually get too many crusty critters, though nickels are often pretty bad.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Great contest!!

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    i will say it is a 1890's indian head cent or middle 1900's wheat back cent.

gene2393
  • Options
    LM's V-nickel would've been a fun contest!

Zot- Congrats! image
    (love your new sig-line!!!)

Gene,
    Sorry, the contest was over last night.
    Hope you can get in on the next contest! (never know when you'll find a good crusty that will be used for fun here image)

• Options
    Very clever post Riccar. Too bad I did not have a chance to enter the contest but I would have guessed it wrong anyway. It is great to have different flavor of posts. Please post more.

edited typo
  • Options
    Thanks HKnJ. I got the idea from some other posts over the last couple years (then added some of my own flavor to it).

Funny, when I created the award, I was thinking if you had got in on the contest and won, it would've complimented your current signature line. image (also, maybe seeing your sig-line recently had subconsciously contributed to the idea)

Happy hunting, Rick