Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

TUFF STUFF - Stone Cold, Lock Solid, Advice

Anybody remember this lil puppy?

Let's start by looking at the greatest FOOTBALL investments, here's 1 through 3
Keep in mind that the copyright date is 1990

This is gonna start to get brutal if I turn the page.....
"I'd like to apologize to one person in particular, the man who won the 'name the team' contest and got lifetime season tickets.''

- Pittsburgh Maulers President Paul Martha, whose USFL club folded after one season.

Comments

• Options
    turn the page
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Turn it already. That is a decent top 3, better than I expected.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they sell that separately or with the subscription?

I didn't start getting TS until 1992.

I used to like to read the guy who did the "points to ponder" - he's no longer with the pub.

I still get the pub since it's only like 12 bucks a year.

That's a cool item! I like stuff like that.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

ENJOY! #4 - #9

Shouldn't I have seen someone like a Walter Payton, or let's say Jim Brown, make an appearance by now...?

"I'd like to apologize to one person in particular, the man who won the 'name the team' contest and got lifetime season tickets.''

- Pittsburgh Maulers President Paul Martha, whose USFL club folded after one season.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, all and all, not bad.

Now Bo "knows" Jackson? Tough injury that killed his FB career and he never was a BB player - a la Neon Deion.

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    I guess they were picking stuff that seemed undervalued- thus an investment to grow. No argument that Dickerson, Joiner, Monk, even Dorsett are all undervalued. I am not sure what the Namath booked back then, but it is a tough card, would have rather seen the 65 Topps Namath there though.
  • Options

Ok, here's where I think we may have hit an iceberg!

The Ultimate Weapon in at #10, Sweetness down at #13, followed by a guy at #14 who stopped by the NFL for a cup of coffee.

Last one for the night, I'll finish football next time on, then to Basketball next!
    Anyone want to predict what number we'll find The Admiral, David Robinson in?

• Options
    Where can I cash in my Neal Anderson investments.................?
  • Options
    I use to really like Neal Anderson, but he only lasted about four years. Too much to carry the ball 300 times in Chicago.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options

<< <i>So far, all and all, not bad.

Now Bo "knows" Jackson? Tough injury that killed his FB career and he never was a BB player - a la Neon Deion.

Thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Bo Jackson, the 1989 All Star MVP, "...never was a BB player"?

What baseball award has Dion Sanders won that trumps an All Star MVP award?
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Buy the whole rookie-packed 1988 Topps set (Jackson, Okoye). or 100 of this card. Either way, you're a winner. >>

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    My guesses for baseball investent:

1) 1989 UD Griffey

2) 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas

3) 1984 Donruss Mattingly
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Well if you would've bought up all the cards on that list in great condition back in 1990, you would be a lot further ahead than you would be behind. Especially with a mint stack of Joe Montana, Walter Payton, and Jimmy Brown rookies. So the list could be much worse.

As for baseball, you're probably right mudflap.

I have a feeling that, since it's 1990, we may find "the next willie mays". Coming off one of his best years and a World Series trophy, Eric Davis.

shawn.
  • Options
    Neal Anderson's stats:

Rushing | Receiving |
    +----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
    | Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
    | 1986 chi | 14 | 35 146 4.2 0 | 4 80 20.0 1 |
    | 1987 chi | 11 | 129 586 4.5 3 | 47 467 9.9 3 |
    | 1988 chi | 16 | 249 1106 4.4 12 | 39 371 9.5 0 |
    | 1989 chi | 16 | 274 1275 4.7 11 | 50 434 8.7 4 |
    | 1990 chi | 15 | 260 1078 4.1 10 | 42 484 11.5 3 |
    | 1991 chi | 13 | 210 747 3.6 6 | 47 368 7.8 3 |
    | 1992 chi | 16 | 156 582 3.7 5 | 42 399 9.5 6 |
    | 1993 chi | 15 | 202 646 3.2 4 | 31 160 5.2 0 |
    | TOTAL | 116 | 1515 6166 4.1 51 | 302 2763 9.1 20
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use to really like Neal Anderson, but he only lasted about four years. Too much to carry the ball 300 times in Chicago. >>

8 years. Over 6000 rushing yards and 4 Pro-bowls.

That's not too shabby for a "cup of coffee" in the NFL.
  • Options
    I'm sure at the time Neal Anderson looked like the next real deal, but putting him ahead of Jim Brown??? And putting Art Monk ahead of Joe Montana surprises me--didn't Montana already have 3 rings by that time?

Amazing to think that John Elway isn't even in the top 15 in 1990. Cardboard is a funny crazy world from decade to decade.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised that sweetness is so far down the list.

Matt
  • Options
    They are ranking by investment, not the best cards overall. Even in 1990 the Payton and Montana would set you back a decent price, especially compared to the Monk, Anderson, Jackson. It is like us making a list of most undervalued cards to buy now. I doubt we would stat with $1600 Namath RC, $450 Jim Brown, $150 Montana etc. We would pick some guys who seem to be up and commers, but it is hard since most premium rookies start in the hundreds now days. If we made a list right when Terrell Davis was getting hot, the $30 Select Certified RC would be the #1 investment on most people list. Same with when Brady started to get hot. There is no saying he will not go south as him team is falling apart. Look back at some of the old Sport Card Magazine issues with their top 10's each month.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    What was the 1965 Namath booking for back then? These Tuff Stuff lists seemed to be made for cards under $100, but no matter what the Namath booked for it was a good buy.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay