Home Sports Talk

How could Clemens even think of coming to Boston?

Local idiotic new reporters "Clemens has a choice between Houston, new york, retirement, or Boston"???

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    money

SD
    Good for you.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I heard his deal last year with houston was that he didn't even have to travel with the team on the road, can anyone confirm this??
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    yep he didnt have to.
  • Whats so surprising? Last I heard, the US a capitalistic society.

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Clemens play for the Red Sox to end his career. That would be some pitching staff too. Good enough to win the AL East in my opinion.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    .................or at least the wild card.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>.................or at least the wild card.

Steve >>

THANKXXXXXXXXXXimage Just a thought, would he have to leave home to play in boston? Or would we have a new schedule playing Houston every so often in our "Capitalistic" society??? What you think I don't want him here? Knowing Boston, he already pitched his best game before we got him...
  • I see where the Bosox recently signed backup catcher John Flaherty....maybe they're trying to put together a 1992 reunion?
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I'm a Yankee fan but I would be happy to see Roger pitch anywhere this season. I enjoy watching him play no matter what team it is. If it is for the Sox, so be it.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Roger pitch one more year, and it would be especially fitting if it was in Boston. The whole romantic notion of "ending it where it all began" would make a great baseball story for the 2006. The management in Boston are moving a head full steam and pulling all the stops to get him. Even produced some idiotic video to present to him to show how much they and the fans want him back. From a historical point of view, and Roger is very a tuned to this, he only needs one more win to move a head of Cy Young as the all time winningest pitcher for the Red Sox (both tied at 192 Wins). Not a bad way to cap a career. It would also put a closure on the huge riff that has been between Roger and Red Sox Nation since he left.

Personally, I don't think it'll happen. The Red Sox want him definitely more than he wants them. He has a great thing going on in Houston. Close proximity to the ball park, doesn't need to make road trips unless he's pitching, a remote chance to play with his son, and no DH bumping up his ERA. Plus, he has a long term (non-playing) contract with the Astros anyway that takes effect after he retires. It'd be pretty damn arkward to return to Houston again after leaving for Boston.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Brian, I agree. How great would it be to see him end his career where it started - and, see him back in good graces with Red Sox Nation. He can't resign with Houston until after May 1, but I admit that he might take a few months off, and pitch the second half of the season there, before he comes back to what would surely be a pressure filled situation in Fenway. Would be cool, though...
  • The Red Sox should offer him $15 million, one year, take it or leave it. Enough to make it worthwhile for both sides. Even let him occaisionally travel home between starts -- after 350 wins, he's earned it.

If he wants $20+ million, he knows where to go.

• << <i>

If he wants $20+ million, he knows where to go. >>

To Hell, umm I mean New York??