Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Help on Vintage Football set Grade or Sell Raw?

Guys, I've got a nearly complete set of '56 Topps Football that I'm looking to sell. It has 107 of 121 cards including a graded checklist graded 7 MC and 2 of the 5 tough to find contest cards. The overall condition of the cards is predominately in the EX to NM range with a good handful of potential NMMT cards (10-15 maybe). My question for anybody that deals in vintage football or has knowledge about this particular set is if it is worth me getting say 20-30 of the cards from this set graded or should I just try and sell "raw". The two cards that I sent in to get graded both came back 8's they were the Charley Conerly and Y.A. Tittle. I'm asking because I know little about vintage football cards and what prices they go for. I have heard that SMR rarely applies with vintage football because some go for well over SMR with others not even close to SMR. If anyone has any knowledge about the realized prices on this set or what my best course of action might be I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Matt
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"

Comments

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would only send in stars to get graded. You can slab some commons if they will pull an 8 or 9, but the stars are the most important.

Your set will draw some interest. The only problem I see is that the set is incomplete. It seems that buyers will spend more on complete sets, especially for vintage sets.
    Mike
  • Well, I actually do have all but about 4 or 5 of the cards in the set but I pulled some out because I don't think that they would grade better than a 4 or 5 because of centering issues or whatever. Should I include those extra 10 or 12 cards that aren't in the best shape with the set? And should I try to acquire the last few cards to complete the set so that I can advertise it as a fully complete set?
    Thanks
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Complete it
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try to complete it first. Lately buyers have been bidding up a premium for complete vintage football sets. It is harder to complete a football set since fewer dealers carry vintage football.

Mike
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt:

You have got to complete it - post the missing numbers here, scour ebay, and get some FB guys to name the best websites. You'll finish in a week. Then if you want to flip it you will fare much better. Or break it up and sell card by card on ebay now. Don't sell it as a partial set because the others are right - you will lose more dollars that way than any other.
    Mike
    Bosox1976