Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A tale of two Splinters........

Need some help here guys.....(sorry for the poor scan)

A few months ago I purchased a Ted Williams Moxie bottle as seen here on the right. This past weekend, the same antique dealer had the bottle on the left. Both are marked as 7 oz bottles, and the writing/labeling is the same. One bottle is considerably larger and the larger bottle features Ted in a more "road grey" type uniform as opposed to the white uni on the smaller bottle. The larger bottle also has more of an "antique bottle" look to it on the bottom like blown glass. It also has some chips/scratches that I would associate with dropping from a vending machine. The smaller bottle is more smooth but has a small circle "hole" to the rear (for filling the root beer?). It has none of the scratches associated with a vending machine and looks to have been sold in the store in a carton. Both bottles also have a slightly different shape....

any idea on the reason for the differences?

Comments

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    I have zero knowledge on this but was looking around the net to see if I could find anything and found THIS SITE and THIS ONE and it appears that any of these bottles with his pic on them are reproductions which is probably the reason there is a size and color difference.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I've seen these around before, but didn't know they weren't actually made in the 50s and were in reality made in the 1980s. I've seen a variety of colors of the bottles as well, with a brown/amber glass along with the clear glass. But it also has the picture of Ted on the bottle; does this mean these were all made in the 80s? That is the first I've heard of that, but I am not an expert on it.

Hall's Nostalgia in Arlington, MA has been selling these periodically at their auctions for many years. They may be able to assist and may know a little more about them.