Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sunday At The Sea Bee Base

<SPAN class=postbody>Got to go to the Navy Sea Bee Base Sunday afternoon for two and a half hours.
It was warm, so I went to the picnic area. I found a shade tree.

I spent the next hour and a half on my knees in an area about five foot square!!!
I put the DFX down and just used the DX1 probe. The crabgrass was full of targets.

72 dimes
36 nickels
6 pennies
5 quarters
Total: $10.31

Jerry
</SPAN>
CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    HOLY COW!!!! Nice!!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice going!!! That's a good haul for a small area. You can really come up with the nickels. I found more nickels in an area the first 2 days of January than I usually find in half a year. Today I hunted by a football field and found $12.14 in change and only 2 nickels.

When you find that many coins in a small area do they just kind of run together in the signal. I found 16 dimes in one spot and at first I thought it might be a big piece of metal. But I found the break and started picking them off one by one.
  • Options
    >>When you find that many coins in a small area do they just kind of run together in the signal. I found 16 dimes in one spot and at first I thought it might be a big piece of metal. But I found the break and started picking them off one by one<<

I could tell that many targets were in this spot. I was not able to pin point just one target. As I dug a target, I was getting two, three and four coins at a time. I did not dig them. I just scratched the crabgrass back, and probed around in the root system. The coins were the same color as the dirt. I was glad I had the DX-1 pin pointer.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use head phones? I have quit using them. I just turn up the volume on a windy day.
  • Options
    I had a similar experience this weekend. In a common area in our devleoment probably 25 yards long and 5 -10 yards wide, I found 54 coins, for a totla of $3.01. Mostly pennies. In some areas, the detector would pick up the coin and I just had to pull back the grass, others were shallow enough that I could pinpoint it with my White's Bullseye pinpointer and just pry it up with a screwdriver. Didn't find anything interesting, but I consider finding clad a fairly good day. Helps pay for the detector (I'm tracking how much the detector and pinpointer cost me vs. what I've found thus far.). I have a LONGGGG ways to go unless I start selling off some of the jewelery I've found...Having trouble parting with it yet cuz once I remove it from my treasure chest, it becomes a whole lot less interesting....LOL