Home Metal Detecting
Options

LM, I have some info for you reference the homework...

assignment. I finally got it. My first silver coin find while detecting has turned out to be a silver hammered coin from Queen Elizabeth I. I was getting worried that I wouldn't complete it, but this past week I managed the hammy that has been eluding me. You can partially make out the date, 15XX. I'm not quite sure of QE I's reign, but I think it is from around 1555 ish-early 1600ish. There isn't a lot of detail, but I'm happy for my first one.

Here are the pics. It is bent, but it's silver, it's a hammered and I am very happy.

Homework assignment complete. Can I come home now?
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options

Excellent work Scott! In a very short time you really pulled it off! WTG!!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Way to go!! You've made some fantastic finds over the last few months! image
    Good luck with your move back to the States - I assume you've had to reserve a separate container for all the hoovers you've picked up here.. image

<< <i>(...) QE I's reign, but I think it is from around 1555 ish-early 1600ish >>

Indeed. 1559-1603.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Homework assignment complete. Can I come home now? >>

I wouldn't want to!!!

(For those of you who might not recall, when he got his 'tector there in the UK, I gave him a homework assignment to find a Roman bronze coin and a piece of hammered silver. It's mission accomplished, now, and I must say a cause for celebration!) image

How big is that coin? Maybe it's a sixpence? I think the sixpence are the most common QE1 coins, with dates, anyway? I could be wrong. With better pics I might be able to attribute it with the Spink book, but you or your local contacts might have the book and/or be more qualified to attribute it, anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BTW, bent sixpence coins were often given as love offerings.

The "crooked sixpence" figures prominently in old English folklore and was the subject of a nursery rhyme.

<< <i>There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile,
    He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
    He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
    And they all lived together in a little crooked house
    >>

More on the history of the crooked sixpence as a love token.

The sixpence is also related to another rhyme, and an old wedding tradition.

<< <i>Something old, something new,
    something borrowed, something blue,
    and a silver sixpence in her shoe. >>

Normally I might try to straighten a bent coin find, but I would leave that particular one as it is- "crooked". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah. And by the way (again):